(based on 2463 AT&T Review Ratings)
"The training I received at AT&T set the pace for my career. I am, and always will be, grateful for my time there."
Posted 10 years ago in Irvine, CA
AT&T Employee

"Where to begin? This is a new channel, if you are considering it... RUN!!! Do not do it. The channel is plagued by horrible management. Individuals were brought over under the guise that this was a customer service channel. What a joke. 100% sales. Unattainable targets that are being increased monthly. Initially we were told there would be no cap on commission (sounds great right? Wrong!). First thing they did was cap the commission at 250%. The goals are so high now in our market only 30% of the representatives were able to even hit their goal in October, even fewer if you account for both the Gross Add and the accessory goals together. When this was brought to management's attention first it was ignored, then it was disregarded. Many of the team members are being told they have to work 6 days a week till they hit goal. Some individuals were putting in 60-80 hour work weeks as exempt employees, this is unacceptable. Zero work life balance. Let’s also discuss “dispatching” being sent to houses with drugs, customers with no social security numbers, also being dispatched during hurricanes. Management telling you to get the sales closed, regardless of the impact on the company. The dispatching tool is a work in progress as well, many times representatives would pull up to customers' houses after the technician had left. We were provided with a manual that indicated not to approach those customers, only to be told two months later that we need to be more aggressive and approach those customers as well. We were specifically told this could be considered soliciting, which, let’s be truthful here, that is what we are doing. They axed door to door only to rename it Integrated Solutions. Everything in the channel is a work in progress, I understand being flexible - but you can only bend over backwards for so long before you break. Morale on my team was at an all time low - I am chalking that up to the worst manager I have ever had the displeasure of coming across."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Knoxville, TN

"I entered this position with great excitement and optimism. The negotiated pay and image that was portrayed hooked me in. I, like 8 others, joined in 8 weeks of AT&T basic training. The training is pass or fail, meaning you can lose your job if failing a week of testing. That's the beginning of the ongoing tension and fear this company puts on the WT. Be prepared to get harassed to meet unreachable metrics and take the blame for everything that happens. No matter how hard you work, it will never be good enough. There's no family/social life with this job. It will drain all of your mental/physical energy. Additionally, the equipment/service is horrible. You'll be trying to repair something that always fails and get wrote up for it when it goes down again. Losing battle. Avoid this job, if possible. Don't be enticed with the pay. You're doing the work of 2-3 people alone. That's why the hourly is higher than most jobs in your area. It's not worth the crushing of life and the stress you'll face."

in San Antonio, TX

"The only good thing about this job is the pay and benefits are ok. Do not expect any respect from your managers. You will not move up. Hard work will not pay off. Everything beyond your control will be your fault. The stupidity of AT&T as a company is mind-boggling. My advice is to take the 9 weeks of paid training and quit before you ever start working in the field. I worked 3 years before leaving. Wish I had quit the first day! Beware!!! Keep looking for a better job than this. No one deserves to be treated the way this company treats its employees."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in Saint Louis, MO

"If you would like a job where the outcome of your work is not controlled by you, but you're disciplined for it. They treat you like children and there is no trust. Micromanaged to the point where you're afraid to do anything. Large corporation mentality. It flows downhill here. I would not recommend this job to anyone."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Evansville, IN

"I have never worked for a company that has such a positive outlook on things. They promote from within and almost everyone who is a manager has started out as a new hire at the bottom and worked their way up the ladder."

Director

"I have worked for AT&T since 1989. I love the strong interest in technology that I have experienced with team members. Since AT&T is such a large company I have experienced extensive opportunities for diversity in work environments. I have been able to work in start-up, sustaining, and international environments during my time with AT&T. I have also been able to live in several different locations experiencing different local cultures."

Director of Product Development
in Bedminster, NJ

"I have worked at AT&T since 1996, starting in Southern CA, relocating to NJ, and now working from home supporting a global team. There has been advancement along the way, lots of opportunity for continued growth and learning, and a diverse group of folks to share ideas with. The benefits and pay are good, and every day is new and exciting. I would highly recommend AT&T for a career."

Wire Technician

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NEVER, EVER even apply for the wire tech position! This is the worst job I have ever had in my 25 years of working! AT&T has a policy of antagonism, intimidation, and fomenting a hostile work environment, at least for wire/prem technicians. I'm not sure if this is an upper-management level policy, or if it's just on the local level with local managers. The 'metrics' or numbers that the techs have to meet are manipulated so that no one can pass the standards. 1. Quality is foremost, and it sounds like something good, but it is a changing thing. Every week a "new" TASK has to be done, in ADDITION to all the other tasks required to pass the "quality" standards. Install and test a new type of "branded" jack in customers houses, and if another technician has to re-visit an installation you did within 30 days, that's a strike against your quality metric. I have personally had several repeats just for silly customers who didn't know how to work a remote control! REALLY? Then there are the SAFETY metrics you wear your safety glasses, safety vest, put your safety strap on your ladder, do your check for voltage on the cable strand, do you put your park brake on, do you put out your 3 cones, do you wear your gloves, your hard hat, and a THOUSAND more insanely silly "safety" rules. It's not that all these rules have a reason for existing, but they aren't about safety, really; It's about preempting lawsuits, not about safety. Also, another metric: Installing a damn MYATT app on the customers' phones (they are VERY punitive when you don't do this! Why is that app so important to AT&T? Is it a monitoring device?) If you add in "SMARTCHAT", an app where you chat in to India or the Phillipines to make corrections to errors on orders, it is a minimum of an hour of just typing in "chats" on your IPAD, I am almost out of characters, just let me finish by saying, please don't work for this company! you will have no peace at all."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Technician
in Brecksville, OH

"I've been working for the company a little over a year. As a female I'm a bit of an oddity for the position, so it's possible my experience is a bit different. The benefits are decent, along with the pay. You don't really need to come into the company with any prior experience. They have paid training which is nice, however the training is a bit of a joke so you don't really have a clue until you're out in the field. Once out in the field the job in the companies eyes is all numbers. You're expected to be at a certain percentage in all the categories which is typically high 90s or over 100% because to them that's average. You get a set time for each job, but they don't factor in when you run into issues, certain types of customers, there's no individual looking at jobs besides how long they expect it to take you. Techs are constantly being written up for minuscule things, probably because the rules seem to change every other week. And God forbid you're on 2nd shift, you will never see a manager, never hear about the new rules or get to have meetings to hear about the new rules/things happening, you just have to be very reliant off of other techs for information. Actually using benefits such as sick days is also a pain in the ass. If you use a sick day, you automatically have to apply for FMLA, if you don't apply OR your FMLA is denied you then get written up. If you're a woman, please pray you don't get pregnant. If so then you may be placed on disability for the entire duration of your pregnancy. My area no longer offers light duty, so I've been put on disability, as long as it gets approved. So I will be making minimum wage, and then after taxes, my health insurance, bills and rent: I'll have basic living money along with trying to save up and prepare for the up coming baby. The company swears they care about their employees but in reality all we are is numbers. They don't care about you personally or their customers, just the money they take in."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Senior Technical Support Specialist
in Fairview, KS
Oracle DBA
in Richardson, TX

"I have worked for AT&T for the last 2 years and it has been a pretty good experience. Most of the time I am rushing to complete the tight schedules and the oncall used to be more frequent each time. However I feel satisfied with this job."

Senior QA Analyst

"I have been working for AT&T client, less than a year, and had an opportunity to work on complex tasks and projects; overall it's a great experience working with ATT."

in San Antonio, TX

"I worked as a contractor for 2 years. I enjoyed the professional work ethic and the casual dress code. The work was demanding but not overly pressured."

in Pittsburgh, PA

"AT&T is a leader in innovative technology and a great place to work to grow and learn."

AT&T Employee

"Great place to learn in depth about project management, sales tactics, and general office etiquette. Excellent benefits structure. As with most companies, the pay for internal candidates is not excellent, so it is definitely best to get started in management from an external source. Plenty of opportunities for growth if you are willing to put in the time and work."