(based on 346 UPS Review Ratings)
"I was working at UPS for around a year. I had a wonderful experience during my internship. I was able to learn more technical work and I was part of a complete project life cycle. I had full support from my superior, and UPS is one of the best workplaces."
Posted 5 years ago in Mahwah, NJ
Loader

What do you like about working at UPS?

"I would have to say, I liked the people I worked with."

"Not really, as they were really good at the interview. I have no problem with that."

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"The thing I didn't like about working there was that I always felt unappreciated."

"I would have to tell them to appreciate their workers more."

Engineering Supervisor
in Philadelphia, PA

"Good experience at first, but very bored now."

What do you like about working at UPS?

"I like the stability and the ability to change jobs every few years."

"Have a yes ma'am, yes sir attitude to work as instructed, no matter what."

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"I don't like the rigidity. It is old school and not modern. Turnover is high, and your boss has been here all his life."

"Come into the future, and make working there appealing for young and smart people."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Ontario, CA

"A great company to work for with top notch dedication to excellence."

What do you like about working at UPS?

"I like the world class atmosphere with great leaders. I started off at an entry level position, and within 8 months I was a standout employee and eventually was promoted to supervisor."

"Show up early, and be prepared to show examples of how you would succeed, given the opportunity, and lift with your knees. I would hire any employee who would display these characteristics while I worked for UPS."

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"The union's set-up for UPS really limited the amount of interaction I could have with my employees. If I needed to train employees further with a hands-on approach, a union representative would often step in and accuse me of stealing work from the hourly employees. This left me with an under-trained employee or a grievance filed with the union against me."

"Every hour on the day we had to tell our employees what they were doing wrong in what was called a 4 to 1. This is where we told the employee one thing they were doing right, and 4 things they could improve on. Often senior employees had heard these criticisms so often that they would dread talking to management because they were told so often that they needed to improve. Even if they were excellent workers we still needed to pick out things they could improve on. The employees were forced to sign a document of the aforementioned conversation. Over time this concept really created more tension between management and hourly employees."

Sales Associate
in Richmond, VA

"Not what I was told it would be."

What do you like about working at UPS?

"I worked with some great people. The clientele were also very nice and professional."

"Yeah, this job is not what it seems. Good Luck! (Don't do it.)"

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"I didn't like the lack of growth and momentum, and the inability to make this job into a career."

"Have better relationships with the employees and customers. Treat employees and customers with respect."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Account Executive
in Birmingham, AL

"Good company, with very good name recognition."

What do you like about working at UPS?

"They have a great name in the marketplace, with multiple services to sell."

"You must be qualified for the position and prepared for the interview."

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"The computer system/software is cumbersome and difficult to use (written by engineers)."

"Have individual sales personnel selling specific products, instead of selling multiple products/applications."

Manager

"Integrity and accountability mean the most."

What do you like about working at UPS?

"I like the company's longevity - 105 years to be exact. Not many companies can say they've been in existence that long."

"Though it may not seem like the right decision at the moment, try to remain a union employee. It will be better in the end."

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"I don't like the lack of recognition and what is deserved. I feel after 9 years I should be getting more."

"I would suggest more recognition and incentive. For my job performance and what I'm held accountable for, I should be receiving my just due."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Handler
in San Antonio, TX

What do you like about working at UPS?

"It keeps me busy and in shape, and gives great benefits."

"This job is good for certain schooling and receiving benefits. Use this job as a stepping stone to get to where you're going. Be careful and don't get stuck."

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"It is mundane, with a difficult schedule to work with for going to school or finding other part time work. The tuition assistance only applies to certain areas and only for management positions. The immediate supervisors are too high strung, stubborn, arrogant, uncompromising, and abuse their power and authority. They also do not give credit to where it is due, and pay most of their attention to what and whom they want. They micromanage so much to the point they look for any little thing to harass or write you up for so as they cannot be blamed for a problem. The money that is given to the hub by the company for management use is greatly misused for personal gain among other things, so much so that we (the workers) don't get much replenishment on hot days or much reward for praise. Other than management, there isn't much more opportunity that doesn't require at least a 12-hour work day. The management not only talks down to us, but we're treated as a part in a machine that can easily be replaced rather than worked with or cared for, no matter how long you've been with the company. We seem to have no say with how things are done, even in our immediate area, so most other employees have the attitude of just shut up, work, and keep your head down. Instead of talking with our supervisors about a problem or concern to get it fixed or have any attention put to it at all, we must go to our designated union reps, but of course not on company time, so this makes getting anything done difficult for us."

"Give more attention to the health and well being of the more physical laborers. Don't just listen to problems or concerns of the employees, but talk with them as equals to help find solutions. Rotate duties that are not specializations so that less stress and fatigue are placed on an individual. Make better use of immediate spending so labor employees have more incentive items and also daily replenishment (such as bananas, electrolyte fluids, etc.) and protective gear (such as gloves, etc.). Also, listen to employees new ideas or suggestions that could help their jobs or the company, and take them into serious consideration. Finally, implement new ways and opportunities to move up within the company."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Retail Store Manager
in Chelmsford, MA

"The UPS Store taught me everything I now know about customer service."

What do you like about working at UPS?

"The people I worked with could not have been a better group. Also, the owner of the store could not have been a nicer person."

"The owner is very nice. Just do exactly what he wants and how he wants it done. Be professional 100% of the time."

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"The way it ended was very abrupt. The person that took the store over did not see eye to eye with me on how the store was being run for the last 3 years, so he decided to bring in his son for store manager."

"Do what I was doing. I was attending networking groups weekly and after the first year the stores profit margin went up almost 75%."

NGSS Sorter

"Great part-time experience in the general labor field."

What do you like about working at UPS?

"I like having more time for studies with part-time availability so I can complete my education."

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"I am unable to go full-time to move up in the company."

"They need to motivate employees to keep workers continue the pace, and have some incentive."

What do you like about working at UPS?

"Train on-site staff to ensure work is accurate and complete."

"Make sure to ask a lot of questions in order to make sure everything is clear."

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"I don't like the daily schedule, specifically the time of day and the total hours."

"Reduce the 16-hour days down to 10 to 12 hours."

Sales Associate
in Manhattan, NY

"The manager has no leadership."

What do you like about working at UPS?

"My co-workers are great, and some customers are actually friendly."

"This manager will hire anyone who's hardworking, but one thing is he will give you a bad pay."

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"I don't like that tools and resources aren't enough to get the job done, and especially the manager, who doesn't have any leadership at all."

"Leadership is very important, and not blaming people if the customer doesn't come in or ship with UPS. Also, try not to overprice packing material."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in Lenexa, KS

What do you like about working at UPS?

"It's great exercise, being on my feet all day long."

"Turn around and stay unemployed. The pay sucks, the benefits suck, and morale is non-existent. I absolutely hate my job."

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"It seems like they preach how safety is number one, but really they only care about numbers and hitting their planned goal, even if that means shoving 10 lbs. of s*** in a 5 lb bag. Or at least that's what it feels like every day."

"I'd do whatever I could to make the employees feel appreciated and happy."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Lead Supervisor
in Chelmsford, MA

"Great company that instills an excellent work ethic into its employees."

What do you like about working at UPS?

"The company trains its employees and helps them develop excellent management skills."

"Show enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. They're just looking for people with a good work ethic."

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"It is very corporate-oriented. An employee's voice is not heard as an individual."

"Keep doing what you're doing. It's obviously led to plenty of success."

Package Handler
in Montgomery, AL
Work Setting 1 / 5 Company Culture 1 / 5
International Air Freight Agent
in Oak Creek, WI

What do you like about working at UPS?

"I like the challenging work, and the ability to help customers get the quality transportation they are seeking. I like the mutual respect amongst all employees across the globe."

"Be prepared to have work piled on you once you prove that you are able to do it. The old-timers don't get any additional work, yet make the sweet rate. By the way, speaking of rate, my pay is so low, it wasn't even on the pull-down on the previous page. I ended up having to select 30,000-40,000/year when in essence my annual salary before taxes is $28,574.00. Barely enough to keep my head above water. I've had to take a 2nd job to cover expenses since weekly hours have been reduced to 35/week since January of 2011. That means I'm down $400.00 per month."

What don't you like about working at UPS?

"They cross-trained me after being called back from layoff. Now I am expected to know and execute, without mistakes, imports, exports, dispatch and data entry. They also make me work 2nd shift which starts at 5 p.m. until whenever the data entry is completed to cover whenever a 2nd shifter is out or on vacation. Management is always saying that family comes first, but when I tell them that I am a single parent of a 14-year-old teenage boy and need to be home at night to keep tabs on what my impressionable child is doing, they told me that if I didn't like working 2nd shift that maybe I should go work somewhere else. Family first, yeah, right. They say one thing and do another."