(based on 422 Sears Review Ratings)
"Sears was a great company to start my working career."
Posted 8 years ago
in Hoffman Estates, IL

"Sears has very serious issues and I don't expect that they will exist in another year."

Area HR Manager
in Hoffman Estates, IL

"I loved working for this company and really thought I would be there forever. There are a lot of things that need to be fixed on the corporate side, but within the districts it is a great place to work for. People are absolutely awesome there and they want the company to succeed, however things management is doing at the corporate level is going to make the company go under."

Sears (759)

4.8 Highest Rated in this Industry is AutoAlert (8)
2.5 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Premium Retail Services (13)
Software Engineering Intern
in Hoffman Estates, IL

"I have worked for Sears Holdings for 3 months as an intern and I think it is a great place to get great corporate experience."

in Melville, NY

"I’ve worked for this company for over three years. It has gone through a lot of changes. It used to be a much better company but now I’m not sure of its direction."

Average Sears Ratings in the Past 4 Years

in San Francisco, CA

"A standard retail company with a standard environment."

in Schenectady, NY

"Working at Sears is not the most rewarding job. You've to let a certain number of credits and SYW score, or you're called out. You're victimized for something you're not in control over. Judging someone based on metrics isn't reliable."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in Cedar Rapids, IA

"While I was at Sears, everyone was a little too laid back. 3 months in because of my credit performance I was given the option to quit or be fired. Sears does not treasure employees and only cares about credit as it is a dying company."

in Uniontown, PA

"Not a bad place to work at the local level but, at the district level, everything breaks down. District manager wants to flood the floor with sales associates and doesn't care about the employees. She actually expects us to bring business into the store on our own time. We are not 1099 contractors."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in Chicago Ridge, IL

"I worked as a cashier at Sears for two years and did not have a pleasant working experience there. My specific location was always busy with NEVER ENOUGH HELP. There were always long lines because there was only ONE cashier per station (M-F) and for each customer you had to go through the never-ending process of getting their email, signing them up for rewards, offering credit cards, etc. A simple transaction took ten minutes. Being understaffed was ALWAYS an issue. Management basically forced you to shove credit cards down every customer's throat. Can't tell you how many times I felt guilty making people sign up for credit cards. Picking up work after others was common because people were simply lazy. I've worked there for less than 2 years and there have been THREE different store managers within that period, and even more departmental management changes. The turnover rate was extremely high. The scheduling sucked. I closed 95% of my time working there, people always called off so I was often stuck doing doubles, and working weekends was mandatory. The pay was, of course, horrible. Remember, Sears is trying to cut as many costs as possible, and employee pay is on the top of the list. After working for 2 years and having exceptional numbers I HAVE NOT GOTTEN A RAISE. Minimum wage. The only good thing about the credit cards is you got either a $1, $2 or $4 bonus each for opening them, depending on the type and time of year. Customers were pretty rude and unpleasant to work with too. The store itself was disgusting. The bathrooms were unbearable; I couldn't even use them. Clothes were all over the place. A lot of items that were returned which were damaged ended up back on the floor due to employee carelessness. They just did not care about their employees, only how many credit cards ere opened. But, what can I say, it's retail. My advice to you is, do not work for a company that is going out of business. They won't care about employees."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Ocala, FL

"I've been a sales associate for Sears for 3 years. I do pretty well."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Sears Employee

"I have worked at Sears Holdings for 2 years and it was very wonderful experience. I get to learn many new things and my skills were also tested beautifully. I like my work and the challenges that go along with it, as every time you have to think for new approach for solving the problem."

in Grandville, MI

"I've worked at Sears for over 5 years. I used to enjoy it, but with every passing year it gets worse. Corporate seems to take every opportunity to cut pay for commissioned associates. I would not recommend working for this company"

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Cashier
in Lancaster, PA

"I've worked at Sears for about 6 months now."

Customer Solutions Professional

"Not many good complements about Sears' performance, management, work ethics, and practice."

in Washington, DC

"Retail part-time employment... What can be expected?"