(based on 246 Lowe's Review Ratings)
"I've worked at Lowe's for almost 4 years and would recommend Lowe's as a great place to work. First 2 years were hard working part time but I stuck it out and proved to my managers how much that Lowe's meant to my family by doing everything I could to help the customers while bringing multiple sales for the local store. Satisfying customer needs and helping with their dreams is my passion."
Posted 3 years ago in Cookeville, TN
in Cincinnati, OH

"Preface: I left Lowe's on good terms for a better opportunity. My relationship with my immediate boss was good. On the whole, the work environment was toxic. Management was horrifically under-educated, incompetent, and abusive. Employee treatment was awful. Turnover was high. Pay was low. Schedule had us working until 11:00 at night, possibly opening at 6:00 the next morning. Management was frequently dishonest. (One boss gave me employee SS #s and had me take the safety testing for other workers on a computer in a back room, because they were persistently understaffed and couldn't set aside time to get it done.) Staffing is always extremely low, yet there is the expectation that everything will be perfect and making money, with hardly anyone around to do the work. Don't even think about working here."

Senior Systems Analyst
in Mooresville, NC

"Have worked for Lowe's since 2006. There are some good people there at corporate. BUT be aware that their turnover rate is 40% or better, consistently every year. That is something you should pay attention to, and heed what it says about upper management or what Lowe's really does against employees (versus what the propaganda and spin-doctors there in HR say). A very good analogy of the "Lowe's philosophy" is from the Lego's movie, perhaps the first 15 minutes and then the overall hidden message of the movie. The theme song is "everything is awesome, everything is super when you work as part of a team" where you are totally devalued as only a necessary cog to bring more profit to the stock price. Seriously, in a corporate environment, they expect you to go down to a gathering place weekly and do a "Lowe's cheer" ("give me an "L", give me an "O", etc). That also says a lot about their mentality. So if you are a mindless drone, you might fit in and do very well. That's the kind of person they really want and promote--- though their PR and HR materials and recruiters swear otherwise. If you can swear by the Lowe's brand... live and die by it... then you are good to go. Oh, another interesting aspect to upper management... they are completely and utterly obsessed with overtaking Home Depot. Every decision made also asks if something might allow Lowe's to overtake HD, and if the answer is "yes", the project begins despite any other rational objections to it. One last thought... the CEO flies in to work on the corporate helicopter and lands on the helipad next to the employee parking deck. But the managers stopped the free employee shuttle bus as it "was costing too much money". What does that tell you about your actual value to upper management?"

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 5 / 5

Lowe's (349)

4.2 Highest Rated in this Industry is National Sales Co. (12)
2.8 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Harbor Freight Tools (17)
in Bluffton, IN

"The company as a whole is not entirely bad to work for. However some policy and procedures have flaws in them. Upper management at the store level only wants good reviews so they can get larger end of year bonuses! The company is moving toward less full time employees and slowly eliminating higher paid positions-sales specialist, department managers."

Facility Service Associate
in Fort Wayne, IN

"I have worked at Lowe's in Fort Wayne on Illinois Road for 5 years. This is a top notch company that cares for the employee. Encourages advancement and has a great leadership team. The store manager is a great guy as well."

Average Lowe's Ratings in the Past 4 Years

in Sarnia, ON

"I have been with the company for almost a year. I am good at what I do; I'm courteous, knowledgeable, and patient with customers. That being said, I am not patient with the management. for almost two months of every year they roll back everyone's hours, right after the holidays when budgets are tight. They claim its because of the average of customers in the store in years gone by, but I have never worked busier shifts. When I do work it is alone (The associate in the shift before me buts up against my hours but never overlaps). That leaves me anywhere between 5-9 hours alone in two departments (I'm back and forth between mixing paint and cutting and special ordering blinds.) Coming up I have a 7 day off streak, they are giving my hours to one of the full time associates not in my departments. I have tried on several occasions to apply for part or full time work, but instead of hiring full time they hire peak (cheaper because they don't get benefits and can be fired or worked to their max without repercussions). All of my managers "hear" me when I point out the flaws, but they never act. I was also supposed to receive retro-active pay for an overnight stint I worked, but after I'd finished the work they told me no, wouldn't tell me before knowing I wouldn't do the work. Lowe's only interest is in working the cheap workers as hard and fast as they can to maximize profits for their shareholders, no care is given to employees or customers unless it directly benefits the holders."

Electrical Professional
in Gilbert, AZ

"I worked as an Electrical Pro for three years. When I first started with the company I made the statement many times that this was the best job I had ever had. I found out over time that that work environment almost entirely depended on the store manager and the atmosphere he/she set at the store. After 2 great store managers that empowered their employees greatly and were there to always help, I was terminated by a ladder climbing manager and assts that were bosses, not managers. Do as I say, not as I do, my way or the highway that never helped out..."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Customer Service Associate

"A terrible place to work full-time if you are a family person and have a life outside of work. Lowe's would not allow me one night a week for me to be with my youth group. The schedule is awful; 3 different shifts (morning, afternoon, evening) worked each week. This is extremely tiring and unhealthy to the body to not have a normal sleeping and eating schedule. If you work the sales floor you do a lot of housekeeping and returns, and then try to help the customer. But Lowe's does not make that easy with the limited amount of stock on hand and the lack of any training regarding products and installation services. The amount of shoplifting is tremendous. You will pick up several empty packages every single shift. Several store and department managers recently left this particular store in the past month and a half, some took demotions, however turnover has been very high (greater than 50% of people I started with are gone). Last but not least, inventory count is ludicrous (for lack of stronger word) and so you cannot count, literally, on the outdated DOS driven computer system. Lowe's has no idea how much stock they have in their stores."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
CSA Associate
in Cookeville, TN

Salesperson
in Omaha, NE

"I'm a retired Industrial Arts teacher and really enjoy helping customers with their projects. I enjoy the people I work with, and feel that the managers care about me as a person. Everyone is on a friendly basis and we cooperate with each other to help the customer. I do get some benefits even as a part timer."

in Temecula, CA

"I have worked four years with this company. The people I work with are great as well as the management team. However the amount of pressure from corporate to make customers the main focus while doing all your tasks and keep sales numbers up is tremendous. It is not worth the pay. Looking for a new job."

in Latham, NY

"Lowes, overall, was not a bad place to work when one considers the nice folks who work there, the customers and the pay rate. What is not good is the crazy schedule of nights, early mornings, weekends, holidays and lack of flexibility in the schedule even if changes with fellow employees are possible. Not only possible, but the schedule changes would benefit both employees involved as well as assuring coverage on the floor. A very odd way of running a business."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
in Charleston, SC

"Not bad if you are willing to work hard and have change constantly."

Customer Service Assistant
in Gainesville, FL

"After 3 years, I still enjoy working at Lowe's. Management cares about your career path and actually works with you on advancing. For the most part, the schedule is flexible, in that, they will work around your everyday occurrences as best as they can. Wages are really good compared to other realiters."

in Mooresville, NC

"Lowe's is a good company to work for and I liked the people."

in Dubuque, IA

"Way more stressful than it needs to be. Management seems to have "favorites"."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5