(based on 74 GEICO Review Ratings)
"I've worked at Geico for the past 3 years. Geico is a strong company with strong ethical values. They truly value their employees and the compensation/ salaries speaks for itself."
Posted 3 years ago in Newport News, VA
Test Automation Engineer
in Bethesda, MD

"I have worked in Geico in past 2 years."

in Carmel, IN

"I started at GEICO the summer of 2018. I went from a Javascript background to a C#/.NET development path. My team is great and we worked on a very exciting project that just went into production recently. However, I want the opportunity to work with more front-end technologies. Additionally, I find the overall culture of the company difficult to deal with at times. I feel like there isn't much of a work/life balance as we have multiple assessments that we have to take in order to get promoted, and the expectation of our task estimates leave almost no room for error."

GEICO (116)

4.2 Highest Rated in this Industry is Nicholas Piramal (65)
3.1 Lowest Rated in this Industry is New York Public Library (6)
3.7 Average of All Companies in this Industry (680)
in Lakeland, FL

"While the pay is great, overall GEICO isn't a right fit for employees who have children or health issues. I was with GEICO for nearly 5 years and was terminated due to me being out sick with no voice. I was told I could make up time so it would not count against me and then the very next day I was told I couldn't. None of the supervisors are on the same page and no matter how they treat you managers and HR don't do anything about it. Instead, I was told that no one is out to get me. I was being told to resign when I called out sick. Geico expects a lot from its employees and gives nothing in return. Most everyone I know either quits or is on anxiety medication just to deal with the job to get the pay. We're supposed to provide excellent customer service but employees get the worst!"

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Customer Service Specialist
in Tucson, AZ

"Geico always seems to be hiring here in Tucson and from what I read there is high turnover. I interviewed for a Customer Service position, passed the tests etc… when I finally reached the HR Person she had a fakeness about her (can spot a fake smile a mile away). She asked what other jobs I had applied to and I was thinking it was none of her business (Geico needs to change this because it is too intrusive). It really is none of your business. Everything was gong ok until she asked if I had any questions and I mentioned I had pre-scheduled Dr. Appointments which take 6 months to make these days. "A" told me that I would have to re-schedule my appointments due to training restrictions and if I missed training for any reason I would be dropped from the class and would have to start the whole process over. Come on Geico, people have a life and it seems like from what others are saying Life/Work balance are not good at Geico unless you have been there a really long time. I would really re-consider ever applying with Geico, no matter the pay. Life is too short to give up your personal life for any job. I am a little over 50 and I noticed a few other ladies like myself also left with no job offer, so major age discrimination, which of course I know they will deny it, but it is so obvious when I looked around at their current employees."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5

Average GEICO Ratings in the Past 4 Years

in Getzville, NY

"Geico started off as the best job ever. Licensing is hard but it felt good to push yourself to new limits and learn so much information. It wasn't until training started that you realize what a mistake it was to take this job. During training, they teach you how to speak, what to say, how to answer, and where to find about 40% of the answers to questions you will actually get while on the phones. Then, after 6 weeks, you hit the phones. You are taught to be a robot. Someone who eats, sleeps and breathes only if and when Geico tells you to. You don't even get a day off or a sick day until 6 months on the job. Any day, or minute you are not at work counts against you. They have changed the dependability policy recently but now you must use your 30 minutes of breaks allowed in your 8.5 hour day to go to the bathroom. So once your 30 minutes are up... you are stuck attached to the phones for the rest of your shift. Being someone who already dealt with anxiety, I was forced to leave my job in order to save my own life. I would walk in feeling great about myself and my job, only to be knocked down for not answering the phone the correct way or for leaving someone on hold for 10 seconds longer than allotted. This job is suffocating, micromanaged, depressing, and unbelievably toxic. I wouldn't recommend this job to my worst enemy... UNLESS you are hired on the outside as upper management. Management is the only position at Geico that gets any respect. 0/10 recommended to anyone else."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in Chevy Chase, MD
Adjuster
in Lakeland, FL

"What can I say... absolutely the worst work experience I've ever had. Management doesn't care about you. They say you can't trust a grown man with a faux-hawk. My manager would sit there and be on your side in his office while you spoke to him for an hour or so trying to figure things out or to put out fires, but nothing ever ever ever came out of it. Supervisor would write down when you go to the bathroom, have the team next to you monitor your times that you get up to go to the bathroom behind your back, supervisor was worthless to say the least. And I'm not even mad. It's funny, I went into this job so excited, only about 8 months later feeling embarrassed to ever say I worked there. Anything negative I've read about Geico on this site is 100% true. Don't go to the bathroom, don't take paid holidays, don't take weekends off, don't take breaks, don't take lunch. Your diary will explode! Geico, I don't need you! Go find someone else that will work in our rat race of an office, where the work never ends, which sounds great until you actually have to deal with work that never ends! You'll want to cause bodily harm to someone."

GEICO Employee

"Where do I start? This has been the worst experience I have ever had. I have never been at a job where you work your butt off and still are written up, if you go over your breaks and lunch times it's used against your dependability rating and you are fired if you go under 97%. I'm a single mom and my child gets sick. So I have to take time off. Well because my jerk of a manager decided to take my breaks and lunch overages and count them against me so that I can't call out. This is how they treat hard working mothers? I'm dumbfounded. I was cussed out by my supervisor because I refused to take abuse by another supervisor. I was told I was too sensitive and took her bad attitude the wrong way. Well I'm sorry when I ask for help don't give an attitude, help me instead of acting like a pretentious over entitled jerk. Which is how half the supervisors act. This was the beginning. I decide to shut my mouth about the cussing out I was dished but the supervisor decided to give me every error for CI and quality knowing that it would place me in a performance management warning, then conveniently tell me I have not 60 days to bring it up, but 30. This company cares nothing about their employees. They use and abuse you and find every reason to get rid of you once you question injustice. Please stay away from here. I have filed a complaint with the employment office as well as documented all of this abuse for my unemployment attorney. Horrible horrible company. My family has pulled their insurance from this place and so have I. I would rather pay double the premium than to ever give my hard working money to this sweat shop."

Manager
in Newport News, VA

in Chevy Chase, MD

"STAY AWAY! Upper level officers micro-manage and most have absolutely no knowledge of your job duties. It is a very stressful environment and you are expected to work 7 days a week with no compensation, either monetary or days off. There is favoritism, nepotism, bullying running rampant and management looks the other way. They take care of their own. I had to leave because exhaustion and stress hospitalized me and was headed for major medical issues."

in Woodbury, NY

"I have been working with the company for a few years now. There is a lot of politics and definitely favoritism when getting promoted. The biggest problem is how performance is measured. What is best for the company may not be best for your core metrics when it comes micromanaging. There is just too much work to be done and in NY the company is taking advantage of salaried workers."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
in Fredericksburg, VA

"The Captain's position is a supervisor position which oversees the contract security officers assigned to their respective posts. You will wear a lot of hats doing this job, as many of GEICO's associates do one-stop-shopping for all of their needs through security. Profit sharing checks are a welcomed addition to your annual salary, as your pay is some of the lowest in GEICO's entire staff. The requirements posted for the job are far beyond what is required to be successful in the position and those with qualifications listed in the posting may find that their skills are not fully appreciated or rewarded. Pay is not commensurate with the experience needed for the job, however, there are many very kind and hard working people who make up GEICO's workforce and they work much harder than do the Captains. You will work 24/7, 365. Most shifts are 12, 10 hours but some can be bizarre. For example, my first night of work began at 2am on Thursday morning and ended at 8am. I returned at 6pm that same night for a 10 hour shift. Management makes schedule changes at will and there is very little room for debate. Starting Salary will be around $32,000 and it will not go up much from there. Once inside GEICO, you can move around the company if you qualify for numerous openings regularly posted across the country including Hawaii."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
in Virginia Beach, VA

"I've worked with GEICO since February of 2014 as a TCR1. The workload is unrealistic, the expectations are unrealistic, the stress level is 1000 and your personal life will suffer.You are required to be perfect.You are an employee ID number to GEICO and that's it. Management does not appreciate their claims adjusters nor do they listen to them. CHO makes all decisions and that is the final word."

in Getzville, NY

"I love the company; I do wish there were less red tape and more employee appreciation."

in Woodbury, NY

"I don't want to sound disgruntled because I am not. GEICO has provided me with a decent salary and job security for the past 15 years. GEICO does wonderful things for the community via United Way. However, I do have a number of issues. 1. The penny wise, pound foolish mentality. For example, the cheapest possible new phones were purchased for our switch to VOIP. Less than a year after our cutover those phones are obsolete and new phones must be purchased. 2. The ineffectuality of management. Because of a corporate policy to avoid paying unemployment claims, no employee is ever fired for their poor work. Employees are only terminated for violations of company policy, i.e. lateness, absence, or email policy. Bad employees know this and take advantage; good employees see that and lose motivation. 3. In the past few years GEICO has taken to hiring supervisors and managers from outside of the company resulting in management that is unaware of what the associates do in their day to day work and are therefore unable to coach the associates effectively. It has also created a middle management team that is more ambition than substance. 4. Management is convoluted and top heavy. I cannot tell you how many people I answer to, because I don’t know. The hierarchy is constantly changing as are the members of management. 5. Lack of communication, both within and between departments. 6. Lack of resources. We have one set of network tools (cable toners, crimpers, testers) to be shared among 10 team members. When we request new network tools (annually) we are provided with a screwdriver set or a hammer. 7. Lack of trust. My boss keeps some necessary equipment locked in his office (cable ends, even packing tape) and when we need it we have to ask for it and give a description of why we need it. I could go on, but I think you get the idea."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5