(based on 93 CarMax Review Ratings)
CarMax Employee

"I've worked for Carmax since May 2013. They have great benefits and the co-workers are awesome. I enjoyed the flexible schedule and being your own boss. I would like to progress into a more professional venture and higher salary. I am looking for a company that can offer opportunity for advancement and accommodate with training. I am a quick learner and ambitious about advancement."

Person You Work For 3.3 / 5 People You Work With 3.3 / 5 Work Setting 3.3 / 5
Support You Get 3.3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.3 / 5
in Columbus, OH

"Was micromanaged to the point of exhaustion."

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"The coworkers were helpful, friendly and making the most of a bad situation."

"Don't answer the phone when they call to set up the initial interview. If you must interview with this company, ask sales people who have been there for 6 months to 2 years what the actual average monthly pay is, and what the turnover rate is. Chances are both with be significantly different than what your interviewer tells you."

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"Massive micromanagement. Management's role seemed to consist entirely of making observations, writing reviews based on those observations, then providing the sales people the opportunity to read and sign those reviews."

"Pay your sales people something close to an industry standard for automobile sales. This is especially necessary considering your salespeople have to put up with all of the negatives associated with any selling job, as well as with the constant input from management regarding what they should be doing better."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Sales Manager
in Charlotte, NC

"Employeed over 10 years. Happy to go to work. Proud to tell people where I work."

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"In an industry known for taking advantage of the customer and employees, CarMax maintains high integrity and actually cares about the people who work and shop here. I have been employed with CarMax for over 10 years and am always proud to tell someone where I work. I look forward to going in each morning. I feel appreciated, empowered and challenged. Yes, it pays the bills, but it is much more than that."

"When asked a question during the interview process, give an answer with a clear takeaway as to the situation, your role or responsibility in the situation, what actions you took and the result of your actions. This would seem to be a no-brainer, but it is amazing how many people come into an interview and think that bragging about what a great closer they were or how many hours they worked in their previous job will be enough. CarMax is very concerned about hiring Associates who are a good CarMax fit. All of the questions that are asked of a candidate during an interview are targeted towards discovering that persons strength or weakness in a particular competency that applies to the job for which they are applying."

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"Any job that deals with the public will have it's moments of frustration, but my frustration is always with the actions and attitudes of the people coming through the door and not with those of the CarMax Company or my fellow employees or managers."

"I have none at this time. Any suggestions that I have had in the past have been greeted with respect and consideration. Not all of my suggestions have been acted upon, but it would be an unrealistic expectation to think that any company could act upon every recommendation of every employee. There are often issues behind the scenes that the person making the suggestion is not privy to."

Sales Associate
in Columbus, OH

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"The co-workers all were very good about making the best of a bad situation."

"Don't believe half of what the interviewer tells you. IE- you won't be working 44 hours a week unless you're happy with a minimum wage income. If you intend to pay your bills, you'll be working 50+ hours a week. It's also extremely unlikley that you'll be making $50,000 per year, regardless of how many hours you work. And when you ask them what their turnover rate is, count how many times you need to ask them before you receive a specific number."

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"Incredible level of micromanaging, endless hours spent training, which was code for doing anything remotely related to Carmax while waiting for a genuine customer to walk through the door."

"The sales function aspect of the job HAS to be re-thought. If the sales force is paid on strictly a commission basis, then penalizing someone for clocking in at 9:01 rather than 9:00 makes no sense. This is especially true when the event taking place at 9:00 is an unpaid sales meeting that consists of watching a role play video of a likely sales scenario...the same video that we've watched 11 times that month. It doesn't do much good to have sales managers spend most of their time in their offices providing feedback and reviews for sales people, when the rest of the sales force is out on the floor, frequently needing a sales manager's approval to take the next step in a sales process."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
in Sterling, VA

"Crippling management that can not think. Mindless robots that follow the script."

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"Do not like anything about this company."

"Yes - get a job somewhere else."

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"Let's face it, if this company was doing well the employee turnover would not be so high. Yes the car industry has a high turnover but at CarMax it is extraordinarily high. Many people are looking for jobs to get over these hard times however the CarMax way is not your answer. While training they build themselves up by presenting you with brainwashing videos over and over and about the forth week of training you better be ready to drink the cool-aid. No support system the management, has no clue about any company resources and if you have question about benefits they tell you to call an 800 number and speak to a third party provider that has no clue. Do yourself a favor and find a job at McDonalds at least they do not lie about the job and its benefits or the hours you will be working."

"Upper management have no clue about running a company. They have come to their positions by favoritism - no previous experience required - and they try to justify their position by making up new rules and guidelines that are worthless at best."

in Sterling, VA

"Compensation, work/ life balance, culture & values and CEO are all a BIG mistake."

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"Nothing at this time, all activities are for corporate greed."

"I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company. I would not recommend it."

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"Overworked, underpaid, lack of respect from managers. Reactionary at solving problems. Company has no concept of proactively seeking improvements and better practices. Not clear how they have survived this long. Terrible employee turnover due to lowest compensation possible. Hiring signs are built in to the building."

"Publicly traded and as long as they keep bottom line, management will stay the same. It's a matter of time though. They have cut so much to keep bottom line looking profitable it has resulted in hurting many people and word is getting out."

Sales Engineer
in Sterling, VA

"Bad senior management, bad local management, bad experience overall."

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"None that I can think of but give it 4 years and then maybe we will have some pros."

"Don't do it, you will regret it, not a good place at all."

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"Sales consultants are FREE labor. They are used to dealing with any area of the business that is lacking."

"Management should be fired and hiring people that can do it."

Oracle Database Administrator
in Rockville, MD

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"Friendly environment and culture of team work, honesty and integrity."

"My advice is that you have to prepare. The interview is long and grueling, but in the end it all worth it."

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"While the company is a great place to work, the management tend to keep small IT department and contract out most of the jobs."

"Having a solid long term IT department will help the company in reducing turnarround of some of the employees."

Assistant Sales Manager
in Kennesaw, GA

"It was not bad at all, it was close to home and had great hours."

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"It was close to home and had great work hours."

"Well, it's not a bad company but it seems to be clicky and you have to hit their click."

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"I was hired in to take the place of the new manager, and my techs would always go over my head, they worked with the other guy for 10 years."

"Do not favor your tech that you have known for years over new people that are doing their job properly."

Sales Associate

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"Always meeting new people and building a new relationship and networking."

"When interviewing, do not be scare to speak your mind."

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"Everyone is for themselves, and lack of trust of management towards employee."

"Build a better relationship between management and employee, and understand them better."

Senior IT Auditor
in Richmond, VA

"Great place to work."

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"We have unlimited vacation. Employees are very respectful of each other. In our stores, there is lots of room for growth (if you are willing to relocate)."

"Be relaxed. You will likely meet with managers in and around your area. You'll also meet with senior management."

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"The home office is flat so upward growth can be difficult."

"The culture is great so do not change a thing!"

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 5 / 5
Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Senior Sales Consultant
in Fresno, CA

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"Casual but semi professional atmosphere. The lack of good pay is offset by the relaxed nature of the place. Its a comfortable life, but you won't get too far ahead by working here. Definitely a stepping stone job for the resume in progress, and a career for the permanently lazy."

"Be positive, professional, personable and energetic. Get the job, obey the rules, make a good name for yourself then find something even better. Too many people become satisfied and complacent with that job. It's a decent addition to your resume but should not be your ultimate career goal... unless you're happy with mediocre work."

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"You will never make that much money at Carmax. If money doesn't matter, then great, if you want to truly provide for your family then this should only be seen as a better than flipping burgers job. I don't regret working there, but I am very glad I left. Don't get me wrong, it can be a lot of fun, but this is only a stepping stone job, push yourself to want and get more out of a career."

"Be willing to admit when I was wrong. Carmax would rather gouge out its own eye than admit they ever made any mistakes. They won't admit it to customers or employees."

Senior Sales Consultant
in Fresno, CA

"It's decent. Not great but ok as a stepping stone job."

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"It has good internal organization. If you're going to sell cars, this is the place to do it. It's not so dog eat dog as a traditional dealership. It has a relaxed but professional atmosphere."

"This is a decent job but it isn't one that is worth being converted into a career. Do this until you can find a much better job. It will pay the bills in the meantime, but put a plan together to get out in a timely manner. Otherwise you will be brainwashed into thinking that Carmax is the best you can do. You can do soooo much better! But its ok for the time being. Go back to school, get a certification in something, but this is not something to hold on to longer than necessary. However if you're lazy, and your ambition cup will never be more than a quarter full, here ya go, you've found your dream job!"

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"I left because management promoted a barely average female performer to Sales Manager. This person also was sleeping with a member of management. The manager quit, but the weak sales person was promoted anyway. The commissions are so-so. The training is tearfully canned, boring, and predictable."

"Stop promoting substandard performers who have developed personal intimate relationships with managers. Fire them instead. When you make a mistake, admit it, own up to it, accept responsibility for it and fix it. Kill off the High School type of aptmoshpere that is dominating the staff interactions."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5

"good"

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"I like working with the people I work with and the customers."

"Dress professionally for interviewing at any company, this one is no different."

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"Its a retain environment, the hours are inconsistant and I'd like more consistant hours."

Club Director
in Naperville, IL

What do you like about working at CarMax?

"The environment is good and friendly, there's no pressure and it's a fun place to work."

"They must like dealing with customers directly and be enthusiastic about selling."

What don't you like about working at CarMax?

"Limited growth based on commission and economic situations, when economy is down people tend to avoid big item sells."

"Keep up the good work and be supportive of sales associates."