(based on 670 Walmart Review Ratings)
"I have worked for Walmart for 5+ years starting from a courtesy associate to a cashier and finally as a sales associate. The management was friendly and the staff was excellent. My time there has helped me with my social interactions and customer assistance, whether it is ringing them up through checkout or helping find a certain item."
Posted 6 years ago in Cheyenne, WY
Shelf Stocker
in Victorville, CA

"Pretty much every bad thing you've ever heard about working at Walmart is 100% true! My coworkers are hostile and the management and supervisors abuse their power. They have unrealistic expectations with insane workloads. Was forced to work through my 15 minute break to try and meet their expectations. Got first coaching because I couldn't reach the top shelves for zoning and was yelled at for wanting to get a step ladder. Supervisor feels the need to constantly watch me and call me out for even the smallest thing, such as asking her if someone can help me out with workloads. If you're wondering why so many employees don't even last a year, do the research and read employee reviews."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Walmart Employee

"I worked for Walmart from 1999 to 2015. When I first started there I really loved my job. Then it seemed as time went on that the work load increased and the help I got decreased. Less people working meant more areas to cover. I retired in March 2015 because of osteoarthritis in my hips, knees, and back. I still miss working there and miss all the people I met there."

in Las Vegas, NV

"Walmart is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. The managers are cold and rude to the employees. The way we are supposed to do our jobs changes almost daily."

in Roanoke, VA

"The company is nationwide. It's like hurry and get it done. It should be about getting it done right the first time. Prioritize. Customers should be the focus. By hurrying to place items on the shelves you overlook items that should be rotated. I take pride in what I do every day. I may take a few minutes longer to do the job, but when I leave each day I know that each customer was greeted with a genuine smile and shown personally where the items were located. They leave with a smile. My success is achieved. Happy customers come back to see smiling faces and to be treated with respect. Hurrying causes delays and you feel like a robot. Well, I am glad to say I believe in being honest to yourself. I care about every person walking through those doors. It's someone's Mother, Father, Sister, Brother, Aunt, Uncle, Child, Baby. They all deserve the appreciation of a few minutes of your day for a genuine smile. That may be the only reason they come to your facility. The dollar figure to me is out the window. A smile can outlast that dollar bill in your pocket. Making time to chat and smile makes people want to come back. Happiness comes from within."

in Owasso, OK

"I have worked retail for about 10 years and have enjoyed it till now. Walmart used to be a good place to work when Sam Walton was alive. But now the company does not care about its employees. Only about money. I do not know if it is like this in all stores but the morale is so low it is sad."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Arlington, TX

"The company overworks employees. You have to do jobs that require 3 or more by yourself and you don't get the pay you deserve. They are constantly cutting your hours."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
Sales Associate
in Kenton, OH

"This company was a great help when I started there. Everyone who worked there was so friendly and helpful, they were also very understanding as well and my co-workers were a big help too, they took their time to teach me the basics of my position and slowly worked their way up."

in Carpentersville, IL

"I love the company as a whole but my manager is demeaning. One day things are going well, the next day everything is wrong. He is a micro manager. Very frustrating."

in Ruston, LA

"The worst job ever working for 0023."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Pharmacy Technician
in Stanford, KY

"I've worked at Walmart Pharmacy for over a year now and I have to say that it has been a nightmare the longer I'm here. Inadequate tools to learn. Baptism by fire at best. Not a very good situation considering all the risks involved. My other coworkers are great for the most part. They will help and give instructions for the most part. A few devils advocates but minimal backbiting. I would not count on this however. I just got lucky enough to get a good group of fellow techs. Pharmacist-wise is a big problem. I really enjoy a few that I work with. However I have encountered a fair amount who treat us like their grunts and abuse us for their own benefit. The pay sucks. Good advancement at first but then you get stuck. No room to grow. You're just hooked and abused. The more you know the more you bust your butt while others slack. And the managers. Very rude and unprofessional. They expect you to do tons of extra promotion and crap and expect you to keep the customer safe. No one wants immunizations shoved down their throat. They want their medicine and they want to leave. They don't want to be harassed. Customer abuse and misunderstanding is one of the worst. People will scorn at you and hate you because doctors offices make mistakes and you can't get their medicine done because of the ever multiplying regulations. You will be forced into hostile situations because of narcotics, sudaphed, syringes, wait times, insurance issues. You will take 98% of the crap when it comes to insurance issues. Even though you have nothing to do with rejections you will be forced to explain issues to genuinely confused customers who think that you are responsible for their ignorance of insurance polices and formularies. I do not recommend Walmart Pharmacy Tech jobs to anyone due to the poor working conditions and pitiful treatment of the employees."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Maintenance Technician
in Greencastle, IN

"I've worked for this distribution center for over 13 years. They've treated me well. The pay is competitive, starting at over $16 an hour. I'm in maintenance and make over $21 an hour. The team I work with is awesome. We work together as one. I know at the store level it's terrible, but not at the DC."

Electronics Engineer
in Coralville, IA

"I have worked for Walmart for a short time now. I was hired as "full time" which means I was guaranteed 34 to 40 hours per week. But when they cut hours, you are lucky to get 32 hours a week. The hours are all over the place and you are always going to management to have your schedule fixed. The favoritism and politics in that place are grating. The management is either too young, too abrasive, or completely unqualified. An example - my partner is a CSM and his assistant manager told him he needed to go into the office and "rip a cashier's head off" for wearing a sweater that violated dress code. The people above you from direct supervisors all the way up to salaried management like to assert their authority in EVERYTHING - they want you to know exactly where you stand. Everyone is on their own page and wants to run things the way they feel fit. It isn't uncommon to be told how to do something 10 different ways by 10 different people in one day. I work with some pretty awesome people, and my department manager is supportive and fun to work with. It is not a HORRIBLE company to work with, but their management structure leaves a lot to be desired. The pay is decent (depending on your department and experience), hours are not bad, but you have to be flexible or you'll find your hours cut devastatingly low."

Customer Service Manager
in Hot Springs National Park, AR

"I love my job. I've worked at McDonald's, the Buckle, Pizza Hut, and Walmart in that consecutive order. Walmart has by far been my favorite job. I started as a cashier the first few years and then became a customer service manager. It can be stressful at times, but overall I really enjoy it. I like working with so many different people and customers. It's a lot of fun. The pay could be better, but recently Walmart has stepped up its game and increased its wages, which is a definite plus. If you're interested in Walmart, I definitely recommend it. I've had a good time with Walmart. It's a home away from home."

in Virginia Beach, VA

"The raise structure has been hampered. Employees are now given percentage based raises, the highest score being about 2%. The starting pay is $9/hr. That 2% of $9 is about an .18c raise, yearly. Most Wal Mart employees don't make more than $15k/yr before taxes, nor will they for many years. The assistant managers, often risen due to favoritism, make three times the average associate's salary. They also get around $4.5k in bonuses whilst the associates rarely get a bonus and when they do, it's never more than $400/yr. Wal Mart is an, "I'm going to college," job, unless you don't mind making about what the burger flippers do."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Bentonville, AR

"I've worked for WMT for 7 years in various financial roles. The company values respect for the individual and striving for excellence. There are several departments that allow flexible hours."