(based on 62 PetSmart Review Ratings)
2.7
Assistant Store Leader
in Toms River, NJ

"I worked for PetSmart for 8 years. I truly loved what they say were their priorities, the pet and the pet parents. Unfortunately, they do not follow what they say. They claim they care about their associates but it is unfortunately a false statement. I was let go because I had heart issues on and off the last year and a half. I was out on and off during that time and because of it my doctor could not determine a date of return on my last time out. They stated it had to be reasonable and the inability for him to name a return date was unreasonable. I feel they contributed to my health issues at the end because they had a new store manager who needed to be trained (which they do often, I had 7 managers in my 8 years and 5 district managers) and I was not there so they decided to transfer me out after being in the same store. This put a great deal of stress on me and the stress caused some additional heart problems. There is little chance of promotion, favoritism runs wild, never call the CARE hotline which is supposed to be set up for employees to report issues, everybody goes with somebody else in the company even though it is against policy, employees are supposed to be certified for certain jobs, but are given the answers to the tests, this causes policy violations which management turns a blind eye. Do not get a job here, it is a terrible place to work."

in North Bergen, NJ

"I've worked for this company for quite a few years now. The store I am currently in is the worst I've ever had to work at. The management staff are the most rude, uncaring, hypocritical, unprofessional people I've ever worked with. Violation of company policies and ethics (in general) is a daily thing here due to ignorance of company policies by the management team. There is no room to advance anywhere here and the only people that advance are those that sleep with the store manager or fraternize with the managers outside of the workplace. Any issues brought to the store manager are ignored and brushed off as jealousy. Favoritism is the trend of the day here as well. If you try to call the care line you are threatened that you will be let go. If you call the district manager it's basically your word vs. the store manager so there is no problem resolution here. Most of the hard working caring people have quit this nightmare of a store and I've had enough as well. Time to get out and go somewhere that hard work is appreciated."

in Indian Trail, NC

"I like working with Petsmart because it is fun to see all the smiles on people's faces when they come in with their pet and when they leave with a new pet for the first time."

Store Manager

"PetSmart is one of the greatest places I have ever worked for. The level of CARE they give their employees is amazing. I've never seen mid-level to top executives care so much about associates in all of my career. All my coworkers are happy to come to work and we never stop caring for everyone."

in Eau Claire, WI

"I've worked at PetSmart for a little over 4 years and overall quite like the company and it's morals. Most stores seem to have a pretty good focus on helping the animals before the customers. Most associates are in it for the long run and do many other animal welfare related things."

in Culver City, CA

"I've worked at Petsmart for over 2 1/2 years. I managed over 50 employees. The company is growing and has stores all over the United States and Canada."

Functional Tester

"Nice to work here. Pet Smart has a good work environment."

Associate

"I have worked for Petsmart for around nine to ten months now. Personally, I find my job is difficult simply because no one there is really supportive of my position and my work area, other than my support manager that is currently there. Great associates though, good for a first job!"

PetSmart Employee

"Petsmart is an awesome company with high moral and great culture! I would highly recommend."

PetSmart Employee

"I've been working at PetSmart for several months now. There are so many problems! One of the managers is what we call a turn-key. This specific manager will turn the manager key at the register for anything. Even if I am aware of a scam, and call this manager over, they will approve the return anyways. It is very hard to move up in the company. I know employees whom have been with the company for several years and haven't been promoted. For me, it is a temporary job."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
PetSmart Employee

"I have been employed at PetSmart for over 2 years, and it has been a great experience. I just wish there was the ability to advance in my field and not feel boxed in to a limited career."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Store Manager
in Garland, TX

"The culture is not what it used to be. Impossible expectations with little help from senior leadership. Review process seems backwards, we write reviews on ourselves before the year has ended. Your district manager and RVP set the tone for your experience. If you are looking to lead a business, look somewhere else our priorities center on things that do not drive the business."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Southlake, TX

"I have worked for PetSmart since July 2012. I do enjoy working here and being around the animals and people. It is a good place to work if you are a high school or college student."

Groomer
in Leesburg, VA

"It was fun because of the animals, but overall it was terrible."

What do you like about working at PetSmart?

"I like working with dogs and other animals that are in the facility."

"You need to be strong-minded and have a strong backbone, because you will get pushed around a lot."

What don't you like about working at PetSmart?

"People tend to throw you under the bus a lot, and if you come up with an idea, you hardly ever get credit for it."

"Hire people who will actually love their job, rather than hire someone who wants a manager position for the power they get. Do a higher background check."

Cashier

"I hate this company."

What do you like about working at PetSmart?

"I like seeing the dogs and other pets, and helping pet parents with things they need and making their day."

"Be careful who and where you go. Research everything. Take in a store visit. Talk to current associates and ex-associates before applying."

What don't you like about working at PetSmart?

"People there gossip and cause drama. The management also does the same thing. If they have a favorite then the associate will do fine, but if they hate you, you're screwed. Most associates have gotten canned for stupid reasons, not legitimate. Some quit because they weren't going up in the company and dealt with drama. I have been with the company for a year and I got denied a raise and a promotion, and I get disrespected every day just being there. I'm thankful I have a job but this job is the worst one ever. Tip: be careful where you work for and who. The people treat employees like second class citizens, like dirt. The store is always behind products that are hardly ever there, and customers complain because their items are out of stock, and the associates are rude."

"Clean house and respect everyone equally and make the associates want to come and have fun at work."