560 Blue Cross Blue Shield Reviews

Browse Blue Cross Blue Shield Reviews by Job Title →
(based on 353 Blue Cross Blue Shield Review Ratings)
"I have worked for Blue Cross for about 3 years and wished I would have found this place years ago. They are very family oriented and you are treated as if your opinion matters, at least in the Facility's Department. The upper management has an open door policy and have always had the time to talk. The pay is comparable with the market and the bonuses far exceed my expectations."
Posted 3 years ago in Kansas City, MO
Systems Analyst
in Columbia, SC

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"The team that I was on was a good team to be on."

"Give 100% to the interview and or recruiter, and give them all they ask for."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"I disliked the learning potential for a new way to implement cobol."

"Treat the employees better and any contractors as well ."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Senior Project Manager
in Detroit, MI

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"I like the challenging work and opportunity. It is a good company, with big projects to work on."

"Focus on business at hand, and listen to the person doing the interview."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"It is too far from home - 90 miles. Sometimes the assignments are boring."

"Pay attention to employees' ideas, and seek new approaches to solving problems."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Usability Specialist
in Columbia, SC

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"Decisions are made for political reasons, not innovation. Directors are cautious at best, and lazy at worst."

"If you don't make team lead, you're not going anywhere."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"Solutions are dictated not by what's possible or what gives the best customer experience, but by what's easy or cheap."

"Shift focus on to the customer, clean house of the status quo and territorial folks, and tear down the silos and consolidate."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Employee Communications Manager
in Chapel Hill, NC

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"I like the collaboration, stability, benefits, great coworkers, location, and the very interesting work."

"Strongly consider the opportunity. The pace is not like it might be at some tech companies, but is worthwhile, interesting work."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"I dislike the lack of definition about the future. There is still a lot of hierarchy, and there are opportunities to improve communication."

"There should be less hierarchy, viewer rules, more innovation, and more consistent office settings."

Business Systems Analyst
in Newark, NJ

"Competitive environment, challenging large scare project."

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"I like the competitive and professional environment. SMEs and project managers were there always when needed."

"Professional and friendly environment."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"I dislike the fact that the project was outsourced. Our team suffered; they could have rotated us, but we did not have enough notice to apply to other departments."

"Give a decent amount of notice for outsourcing. Our team of 35 individuals, including testing and development for the project, was given 24 hours notice."

Operations Specialist
in El Dorado Hills, CA

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"I like the variety of the job, challenges to work on, and analytical functions."

"Be prepared to deal with a high school environment that gets old fast."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"My dislikes are: too many roadblocks, too much micromanagement, not the right resources given, no clear direction given, and setting up to fail."

"Listen to the people who do the job, reduce upper management, get rid of micromanagement, and reduce roadblocks."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Customer Service Associate
in Middletown, NY

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"I like the people - the members who call and my coworkers."

"It's not an easy job. Besides having the maniacs yelling at you on the phone, when you're hired there's eight weeks of training, where people will prance in the room and tell you about your imminent crashing that ends in tears. Once you get on the phone, it's fine for a while, but when you're deemed knowledgeable, they toss you into the deep end and hope you don't drown."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"I dislike the fact that we were used to answering one company's phone calls, to now we're bouncing all over the place. The work has increased and we've got less time to accomplish it. Because of that, and because we're all over the building now, we get daily emails from other managers wondering what happened to things we were working on."

"Fix the insurance (oh, the irony!), undo some of the draconian policies implemented recently, and find real ways to make people enjoy going to work again."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Application Developer

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"The hard workers are easy to pick out because there are so few."

"Good for a first job experience. Easy to get in, and it can only go up from here. I highly recommend contracting for the younger generations. Don't go full time; it's a trap. They're always looking for Java developers, but don't expect industry standard pay or adequate training, if any. Good for job security, as they don't fire anyone deserving since there's no accountability, apparently. Also, expect a lot of frustration with office politics and bureaucratic policies. Becoming a manager is really the only reason to stay."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"There is no clear definition of responsibilities or accountability to go with it. When trying to clarify what exactly my role was on the team, the answer I got on three separate occasions was, and I quote, Everyone does everything. Well, I did 'everything' for a year with little to no training or guidance, was hired one Monday too late for the annual bonus (coincidence doubtful), and got top marks on my yearly performance review. When asking for a raise or promotion with clear documentation on my salary research online, I got no feedback other than blank stares. I was hired below industry salary rates; when restructuring, I was necessarily bumped up to the minimum salary on the next highest pay scale. Management tried to pass it off as a 'pay raise'. HR lied about pay increase rules after I applied to a higher position. I was replaced by two new hires at a higher position than I was. (Thanks for not promoting ME instead when I asked.). As a developer, everything must be self-taught as there's no training or expertise, at least on the team I was on. Management is completely behind the times and knows nothing about new technologies. Getting one code change in can take months with this stupid 'change management' process implemented where others who know nothing about your project work look over the implementation plans for approval. Code reviews are non-existent, so there's no room for growth. Comp time was rarely given and must be asked for. Projects are completely mismanaged and disorganized; communication breaks down, leaving a lot of gaps in project work; requirements are changed after implementation. No one understands the big picture on how the many applications and processes work together, making coordination nearly impossible. Management folds to every business whim with no procedures in place for tracking. I will try out with this new team I'm on and am hoping for the best. Still, I'm extremely underpaid, but maybe my experience with the company is team-specific."

"Be more aware of those who do all the work and those who ride the wave of stagnation. If you're constantly going to the same people to do the work that isn't even their job, or having to cover the work of those who do nothing, it's time to take notice and realize you're wasting money on dead weight. Show more appreciation and be willing to allow compensated time for those who work overtime. Stop allowing people to get away with too much for so long."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Senior Account Manager
in Pittsburgh, PA

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"It is a great job. I liked the interaction and travel with my book of business. My book included the USOC (United States Olympic Committee) and USOC Elite Athletes, and the BCBS Louisiana Partnership (11 Accounts)."

"Highmark has many great entry-level positions, and having a customer service affection is key."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"The direction of the unit changed, and the new leadership worked in a way I did not agree with, so I left to pursue other career opportunities."

"I would suggest using the current resources availaible and learning the positions better before making decisions."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 5 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Project Coordinator

"Great experience. I learned a lot."

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"It was great experience. I learned a lot. They provided good training."

"Make sure you know who you are going to work with. Have a good idea about the program and the team you will be working with."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"People are not friendly - it depends on who and what project you are working for. Most of them are stressed, and you have a lot of pressure on you."

"Management should hire project managers who can work under stress."

Senior Web Developer
in Wilmington, DE

"I love working in HTML and JQuery! What more could I ask for."

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"I like front end work in HTML, and JQuery is great fun."

"If you want to work here, you had better live in Pittsburgh, PA."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"I dislike that my job is moving to Pittsburgh, PA. That's a drag because I liked it."

"They can't just follow SDLC process; they need to mean it and love it."

Business Analyst
in Detroit, MI

"I enjoy working at BCBSM and have had opportunity to advance here."

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"It is interesting to work in healthcare right now, with all of the changes coming to the industry, based on National Healthcare Reform."

"My tips would be to focus on any analytical skills you have acquired from any past experience."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"The insurance business is not as dynamic as manufacturing, nor does it move as quickly. I am used to working in a fast-paced environment with a focus on results."

"My suggestions to the management team would be to empower employees to make decisions so that there isn't so much decision paralysis involved making projects move slowly."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
Senior QA Manager
in Rochester, NY

"Lot of opportunity to improve the current process."

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"The work culture is very good, and the people are very friendly."

"The company is very good to work for, but you have to be prepared for baby steps."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"The company is very backward with the process and not up to the standards."

"Lack of policy and governance is very important to be successful."

Senior IT Project Manager
in Richardson, TX

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"It is very employee-oriented, with good benefits and great people to work with."

"Patience - it takes about three to four months to get hired on."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"I dislike that there is not a lot of opportunity to move in the company - or up in the company."

"I really do not have anything for the management - I have a great manager."

Operations Specialist
in Providence, RI

What do you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"I learned a lot about health care insurance during the one-year contract."

"Be willing to learn, as health care insurance is a complicated industry."

What don't you like about working at Blue Cross Blue Shield?

"No chances of being a full-time employee, as Dell Perot, their IT provider, wasn't hiring."

"Rely less on contractors, and hire more local IT as full times, so that employees have more company spirit."