On average, employees at Macy's give their company a 3.8 rating out of 5.0 - which is equal to the average rating for all companies on CareerBliss. The happiest Macy's employees are HR Coordinators submitting an average rating of 5.0 and General Sales Managers with a rating of 4.7.

(based on 359 Macy's Review Ratings)
"Great place to work temporarily or part-time."
Posted 7 years ago in Fargo, ND
in Poughkeepsie, NY

"Macy's is a deceiving company to work for. The cosmetics department is a joke. One person now covers all brands, jumping from counter to counter. It is unprofessional and annoying leaving no time to supposedly work on your brand. Lancome Counter Manager position was recently posted . Shame on Macy's for offering such a false job description. Half the cosmetic department just got fired. Good look to sucker who takes this job. Macy's really has turned into the Walmart of department stores. Management is a joke, all the way up to the top. Dated store, no character, no class, joke of a company."

Macy's Employee

"Company is extremely political. I worked there for five years and they never appreciated it. I got let go after I improved my area and poor performance was blamed even though the numbers were up. Upper management never let on that I was to be let go until the end. I was in the shoe department and the numbers were improving greatly like they asked for them to. One day, I was told I was being separated from a company I truly loved."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5

Macy's (550)

4.8 Highest Rated in this Industry is AutoAlert (5)
2.5 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Premium Retail Services (13)
Support Services Specialist
in Merritt Island, FL

"Work as a team. Always enjoyable."

in Alton, IL

"The managers are treating everyone like they're worthless. Now we're all just bodies to get them through the holiday season. If you want to work in this type of retail, try Nordstrom or Neiman. Macy's is becoming the Walmart of department stores."

Average Macy's Ratings in the Past 4 Years

Macy's Employee

"Macy's doesn't care about their long time associates. I've been their for 10+ years they don't promote unless you are in their favor. They will overlook you. They want you to work three different jobs with the sane pay. You won't get a raise but they expect for you to do all of the work in a very unreasonable time of matter. Asking for help from HR goes unwarranted."

Call Center Agent
in Mason, OH

"I’ve worked as a Macy’s retail call center agent for over a year. The US employees cannot work more than 36 hours per week. There are no benefits or rewards for employees who do their jobs well. The agents make $9.00 an hour. The shifts are split at 9 am to 2 pm and 6 pm to 11 pm. Employees get one fifteen-minute break and only two five-minute bathroom breaks per shift. Employees are only allowed three missed days per year with no exceptions, even if a doctor’s note is involved. Calls involve customers who want to order from the website or have previously placed an order. Often the calls involve older clients who do not own a computer, or people who just obtained a credit line and do not yet have a physical card. Common problems are delivered merchandise that never arrived, or orders that are delivered with incorrect or damaged merchandise. The agents are expected to handle each call in less than 8.35 minutes. Most of the calls are the second or third calls, but the first time reaching a non US agent who does not communicate with the customer with the same culture and understanding. Another problem is the antiquated program used by Macy’s for data entry and retention that runs very slowly, freezes at least twice during each call, and never operates within the perimeters expected. The last problem with the program is the website that is incapable of handling the traffic generated by any sale causing it to malfunction and creating more traffic to the call centers. None of these calls ever take only 8 minutes because the consumer is understandably and righteously irate. The turnover rate at the call center is high due to the low pay, split shifts, and lack of any form of benefit/reward as well as the high stress of the job. Macy’s believes they are in competition with Amazon, but have done nothing to rise to the competition."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Sales Associate
in Indianapolis, IN

"I worked for Macy's as a sales associate, must work most weekends, very poor wrap centers, no cushioning under feet, standing 8 hours is very hard on your feet. pay was just over minimum wage. I made 2 dollars more working there in 2001 than I did when I came back in 2013. The Manager of Human Resources is not helpful at all, the current 2016 manager. Most of the managers are very nice but they couldn't help with the issues of the new HR manager."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Furniture Associate
in Suburb Maryland Fac, MD

"Salary 32,200. With all benefits."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Sales Clerk

"I worked for Macy's four years. First three were great, last one, disorganized, bad management. If you think of working there, don't believe them when they say you are an "empowered employee" and can make decisions without calling a manager. Do it, and if they don't like your decision you are fired."

Macy's Employee

"Macy's had the nicest and most wonderful customers which is what kept me going every day and made the work day shorter. The pay is dismal and when I was offered a full-time opportunity the manager said that benefits weren't included (health insurance has to be by law). Most of the managers have been there for years so there's very little chance for advancement, even into the corporate offices. During my time working there, I can count on one hand the number of times that I saw the store manager stop by my department. When he did, he interrupted us while we were talking to a customer, saying something totally unrelated to the ongoing conversation. District managers came by about monthly, attended morning meetings and walked through the store. I never once saw them talk to or even smile at any of the employees. It was as if the non-management worker was lower class and didn't exist. There is little reward for hard work unless you sell extras like applying for a credit card. Even then, the pay is Macy's money so you can buy items at Macy's. In many cases, employees that do minimal are treated the same as conscientious employees. Within departments, tiny mistakes are treated as major offenses rather than coaching opportunities. As far as mistakes go, the corporate office was more forgiving of the little things and better about seeing the big picture."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Executive

"I worked with Macy's Operations and Logistics. It was a very fast paced environment."

Assistant Store Manager
in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

"I have been at Macy's since I was eighteen. It is a great company but on the other hand they decide for you on your career path, not yourself."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Fairfield, CA

"Macy's is a great company!"

in West Palm Beach, FL

"Horrible pay, I can't even pay my bills. I'll need a second job!"

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in Newport, RI

"There is no hope for improvement."