(based on 421 General Motors Review Ratings)
"GM is a great company, and is trying to do great things in pulling work back in house that has been outsourced for literally decades. The dispersed workforce and some teams spread across all four sites. (Atlanta, Phoenix, Detroit, Austin) All are making the job more difficult than it needs to be. The overwhelming presence of ex-Dell and ex-HP employees in Austin ostracizes a lot of good people and good input - even that of ex-Dell and ex-HP people in other sites. Overall, though, a good gig."
Posted 6 years ago in Roswell, GA
Industrial Engineer
in Warren, MI

"It's a good company to work for."

in Arlington, TX

"Understand what you’re getting into with any job. Work life balance is important. Some don’t care some find it the most important thing about their job. Just know what you’re getting into before excepting the position."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Detroit, MI

"It can be good depending on the area."

in Milford, MI

"General Motors is a great place to work. They're a large company that has hands in almost anything you can think of, technical or non-technical. They've allowed me to cut my teeth as a new engineer, and working for such a storied company on exciting products that people depend on every day is a fantastic feeling. If you want to work on things that people will review in-person on YouTube, for example, GM is a great place to be!"

Average General Motors Ratings in the Past 4 Years

Supervisor
in Roanoke, TX

"General Motors only takes care of who they want. the union is the most important, and the supervisors are taken advantage of and treated like dirt!"

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Bedford, IN

"General Motors is a great company to work for. They offer many great benefits and a fair competitive salary. The workload is fair and mixed, however with the work environment tasks can sometimes be challenging. The workforce is large yet supportive, and hard work is often recognized."

Industrial Electrician
in Marion, IN

"I have been employed with General Motors for over 28 years. During this time I have witnessed and been apart of different trades and Management working together as a team to overcome many obstacles. I learned a long time ago that if you take care of your employer they will take care of you. I enjoy working for GM but I travel 144 miles round trip daily. I am eligible to retire and am looking for employment closer to home."

in Aurora, CO

"Great company overall. new employees are treated poorly initially."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
in Spring Hill, FL

"As a large OEM, General Motors has been a good place to begin a career simply to have the name on the resume. However, this company is not for sustaining a career especially if you work in manufacturing. Take your talents somewhere else where you are valued."

in Milford, MI

"General Motors is an amazing company to work for. Their focus on work-life balance and keeping the customer in mind makes you feel supported and taken care of as you focus your energy on excelling in your work. There are many resources for employees to learn, find help, and support during times of need."

Senior Software Developer

"I started working at GM from 2019 and it’s slow paced work environment. I think I fit more on an agile environment"

in Spring Hill, TN

"This can be a very good career opportunity if you are connected or are in the right circle. It can be a good job but may not be a good career."

General Motors Employee

"Great people in the developer roles. The management and higher roles treat its application development like waterfall and are resistant to adopting new technology."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
in Warren, MI

"I work with General Motors for the last 5 years and it has been helpful and convenient for my first job out of college. It helped me develop and strengthen my design skills, as well as utilizing my engineer background. I have outgrown what GM and what it can teach me with technical skills, and I'm looking for a more challenging opportunity to grow as an engineer and designer."

CNC Supervisor
in Warren, MI

"I worked for GM at the Tech Center in Warren from October 1983 through November 2017. Despite union-management disputes that can occur from time to time I found it to be an enjoyable place to work with employees that were well compensated."