(based on 48 Northwestern Mutual Review Ratings)
"I have been employed here for about 3 months. It has been a great experience. Financial reps are treated like we are very valuable. Good support and the ability to move up and make good money. You get new laptop, and have access to state of the art facilities. We also got a sign on bonus for the first month. Older reps are very supportive and will help you with cases you can't handle."
Posted 3 years ago in Memphis, TN
Financial Advisor
in Memphis, TN

Northwestern Mutual Employee

"Ok. I came from finance background and wanted to try being a financial representative so I can help clients with their lives. Worst idea yet. Initially, I was debating between New York Life and Northwestern Mutual. Let me tell you what it is like when you look at it from both sides for people who are looking to START! Northwestern Mutual IS NOT FINANCIALLY SUPPORTIVE FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES!!! They will charge you for every single thing they can think of! - Base Phone per month (and they encourage you to use telephoning non-stop). - Keeping your license alive (requires bi-monthly payments). - Parking (they are mostly located on expensive properties). - Group Life Insurance. - All other expenses you may have meeting your client or spending all the gas. These are just the basic charges for first year rep. When you become 2nd year, they will charge you office space and much more they can put you to. New York Life is a much better choice. They are known to help their reps with financial support. They give you monthly allowances and educational allowances for you to keep and to utilize. All insurance companies sell the same products. But in order to have a good successful managing team, you need to be well supported. Ever since I was with Northwestern Mutual (for very short period of time), it was the most stress I have received in my life! This company is very unsupportive and even your direct manager is very unsupportive and feels a lot of discrimination towards minorities. That being said, go with New York Life if you want to began your career as a financial representative."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5

Northwestern Mutual (70)

4.7 Highest Rated in this Industry is National Medical Care (162)
2.1 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Ascensus (6)
in Cincinnati, OH

"Working for the particular representative that I did, it was highly stressful, however, any contact I had with Home Office was quite good. The helplines were very, very helpful and the people answering them were polite and friendly."

Senior QA Engineer
in Milwaukee, WI

"I have worked for Northwestern Mutual for more than couple of years and I got a chance to learn many advanced skills here. It's a great place to work and learn new skills."

Average Northwestern Mutual Ratings in the Past 3 Years

Financial Representative

"First things first, this is a sales position. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand the nature of the business. That being said, this position is one that allows the financial rep to positively impact the clients for years to come. The training is top notch and the company does everything they can to help a financial rep succeed. However, there are some people who just are not suited for this type of role. I was one of them."

in Waukesha, WI

"Great company along with good earning potential. Be prepared to be extremely driven to become successful. Your success within this company is completely dependent on your own ability."

in Hattiesburg, MS

"Just a sales job. No finance at all. Have to dial 40 times a day and sell insurance to your friends/family then get referrals from them. Great company, but the managers want you to do joint work in the beginning so that senior reps get paid more. Good company, just a gambling job."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Financial Representative

"That is a good company to work for, but be prepared for your own expenses for the first 6 months you are working there."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
Financial Representative Intern
in La Crosse, WI

"I worked for Northwestern Mutual as a summer intern and although it was more of a sales position, I walked away with a strong understanding of personal finance and wealth management strategies. Overall, it was a good experience."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
New Business Coordinator

"Northwestern Mutual is an excellent place to work."

Application Development Specialist
in Franklin, WI

"NM is a great place to work. They have opportunities for all sorts of positions if you are looking for something new. I have met many people whom have worked at other highly respected companies and say that NM takes great care of their employees. The work-life balance is a big focus. Overall, I have loved my experience working for Northwestern Mutual. They provide feedback on a daily basis that allows me to grow as a young Information Systems Professional."

Senior Application Development Analyst
in Franklin, WI

"Good work life balance, but not great compensation and benefits keep getting cut."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Northwestern Mutual Employee

"Great company with an outstanding track record! Fast paced, but highly rewarding financially if you put in the work."

Person You Work For 3.3 / 5 People You Work With 3.3 / 5 Work Setting 3.3 / 5
Support You Get 3.3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.3 / 5
Recruiter

"I've always heard NM, it's a great company, but it's so true... it is!"

What do you like about working at Northwestern Mutual?

"There's a lot of opportunity to make you own decisions and have flexibility in making your schedule even as part of staff."

"Give it a shot, you'd be surprised who is very successful in the company. Make sure you're ok with working hard to get great rewards from that! Most importantly, think of a fantastic success story to bring to an interview."

What don't you like about working at Northwestern Mutual?

"There's a high turnover rate for reps (since it's sales) so it's hard to see people leave work after building friendships with co-workers."

"Management isn't always around to help and relies too heavily on everyone taking their own initiative. Some more direction and instruction would be nice!"

Financial Advisor

What do you like about working at Northwestern Mutual?

"I like the autonomy of my culture. I love the location and the view. I love our people, they are very supportive."

"Be prepared to work hard if you are going to be a rep. It is equally challenging and rewarding."

What don't you like about working at Northwestern Mutual?

"It is very lonely at time to be a financial advisor. You are running your own business and a bad month can really take it's toll on you."

"I would be more hands on. I would be here more often."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5