(based on 52 Northwestern Mutual Review Ratings)
"I have been employed here for about 3 months. It has been a great experience. Financial reps are treated like we are very valuable. Good support and the ability to move up and make good money. You get new laptop, and have access to state of the art facilities. We also got a sign on bonus for the first month. Older reps are very supportive and will help you with cases you can't handle."
Posted 3 years ago in Memphis, TN
in Oklahoma City, OK

"It's a great place to work and I think it will be a good fit for the right person."

Northwestern Mutual Employee

"Northwestern Mutual has taught me how to successfully run my own business. Skills I acquired were both soft and hard communication skills working with companies, families and individuals. My work has given me an analytical eye when it comes to analysis of present and future finances and can be applied greatly in contracting."

Northwestern Mutual (74)

4.8 Highest Rated in this Industry is Great American Insurance Group (9)
2.1 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Ascensus (6)
in Carlsbad, CA

"I have worked with Northwestern Mutual for less than 1 year. The training that is provided is the best training I have seen next to the military. The work culture is fantastic and people rely on each other to improve our day. The overall mission of helping people meet their financial goals is rewarding and people who have an excellent network of people should work for them."

Northwestern Mutual Employee

"It is commission-based so it is very hard to work here as an entry-level job. Good culture and people to work with, but it is just not for me."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5

Average Northwestern Mutual Ratings in the Past 3 Years

Financial Advisor
in Memphis, TN

Northwestern Mutual Employee

"Ok. I came from finance background and wanted to try being a financial representative so I can help clients with their lives. Worst idea yet. Initially, I was debating between New York Life and Northwestern Mutual. Let me tell you what it is like when you look at it from both sides for people who are looking to START! Northwestern Mutual IS NOT FINANCIALLY SUPPORTIVE FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES!!! They will charge you for every single thing they can think of! - Base Phone per month (and they encourage you to use telephoning non-stop). - Keeping your license alive (requires bi-monthly payments). - Parking (they are mostly located on expensive properties). - Group Life Insurance. - All other expenses you may have meeting your client or spending all the gas. These are just the basic charges for first year rep. When you become 2nd year, they will charge you office space and much more they can put you to. New York Life is a much better choice. They are known to help their reps with financial support. They give you monthly allowances and educational allowances for you to keep and to utilize. All insurance companies sell the same products. But in order to have a good successful managing team, you need to be well supported. Ever since I was with Northwestern Mutual (for very short period of time), it was the most stress I have received in my life! This company is very unsupportive and even your direct manager is very unsupportive and feels a lot of discrimination towards minorities. That being said, go with New York Life if you want to began your career as a financial representative."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
in Cincinnati, OH

"Working for the particular representative that I did, it was highly stressful, however, any contact I had with Home Office was quite good. The helplines were very, very helpful and the people answering them were polite and friendly."

Senior QA Engineer
in Milwaukee, WI

"I have worked for Northwestern Mutual for more than couple of years and I got a chance to learn many advanced skills here. It's a great place to work and learn new skills."

Financial Representative

"First things first, this is a sales position. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand the nature of the business. That being said, this position is one that allows the financial rep to positively impact the clients for years to come. The training is top notch and the company does everything they can to help a financial rep succeed. However, there are some people who just are not suited for this type of role. I was one of them."

in Waukesha, WI

"Great company along with good earning potential. Be prepared to be extremely driven to become successful. Your success within this company is completely dependent on your own ability."

in Hattiesburg, MS

"Just a sales job. No finance at all. Have to dial 40 times a day and sell insurance to your friends/family then get referrals from them. Great company, but the managers want you to do joint work in the beginning so that senior reps get paid more. Good company, just a gambling job."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Financial Representative

"That is a good company to work for, but be prepared for your own expenses for the first 6 months you are working there."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
Financial Representative Intern
in La Crosse, WI

"I worked for Northwestern Mutual as a summer intern and although it was more of a sales position, I walked away with a strong understanding of personal finance and wealth management strategies. Overall, it was a good experience."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
New Business Coordinator

"Northwestern Mutual is an excellent place to work."

Application Development Specialist
in Franklin, WI

"NM is a great place to work. They have opportunities for all sorts of positions if you are looking for something new. I have met many people whom have worked at other highly respected companies and say that NM takes great care of their employees. The work-life balance is a big focus. Overall, I have loved my experience working for Northwestern Mutual. They provide feedback on a daily basis that allows me to grow as a young Information Systems Professional."