6 Northwestern Mutual Anonymous Employee Reviews

Browse Northwestern Mutual Reviews by Job Title →
(based on 5 Anonymous Employee Review Ratings)
Northwestern Mutual Anonymous Employee

"Ok. I came from finance background and wanted to try being a financial representative so I can help clients with their lives. Worst idea yet. Initially, I was debating between New York Life and Northwestern Mutual. Let me tell you what it is like when you look at it from both sides for people who are looking to START! Northwestern Mutual IS NOT FINANCIALLY SUPPORTIVE FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES!!! They will charge you for every single thing they can think of! - Base Phone per month (and they encourage you to use telephoning non-stop). - Keeping your license alive (requires bi-monthly payments). - Parking (they are mostly located on expensive properties). - Group Life Insurance. - All other expenses you may have meeting your client or spending all the gas. These are just the basic charges for first year rep. When you become 2nd year, they will charge you office space and much more they can put you to. New York Life is a much better choice. They are known to help their reps with financial support. They give you monthly allowances and educational allowances for you to keep and to utilize. All insurance companies sell the same products. But in order to have a good successful managing team, you need to be well supported. Ever since I was with Northwestern Mutual (for very short period of time), it was the most stress I have received in my life! This company is very unsupportive and even your direct manager is very unsupportive and feels a lot of discrimination towards minorities. That being said, go with New York Life if you want to began your career as a financial representative."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
in Cincinnati, OH

"Working for the particular representative that I did, it was highly stressful, however, any contact I had with Home Office was quite good. The helplines were very, very helpful and the people answering them were polite and friendly."

in Waukesha, WI

"Great company along with good earning potential. Be prepared to be extremely driven to become successful. Your success within this company is completely dependent on your own ability."

in Hattiesburg, MS

"Just a sales job. No finance at all. Have to dial 40 times a day and sell insurance to your friends/family then get referrals from them. Great company, but the managers want you to do joint work in the beginning so that senior reps get paid more. Good company, just a gambling job."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5

Average Northwestern Mutual Attributes by Anonymous Employee

2.1
2.7
Northwestern Mutual Anonymous Employee

"Great company with an outstanding track record! Fast paced, but highly rewarding financially if you put in the work."

Person You Work For 3.3 / 5 People You Work With 3.3 / 5 Work Setting 3.3 / 5
Support You Get 3.3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.3 / 5
Northwestern Mutual Anonymous Employee

What do you like about working at Northwestern Mutual?

"Ability to learn finanical products and make own schedule."

What don't you like about working at Northwestern Mutual?

"Cost/expense structure is huge!! Very difficult if your book of business is not producing big returns day in and day out."

"Tell the truth. Don't sugar coat the position"