(based on 110 Barnes & Noble Review Ratings)
"Left for a business opportunity, but I kick myself every day. It was a great place to work and I would love to go back!!! Can't recommend enough!"
Posted 10 years ago
in Boston, MA

"Unless you are looking for a very short-term job for some spending cash, DO NOT WORK HERE! As sales get worse, hours get cut, managers get mean and employees quickly hate the job. They'll tell you everything you want to hear to get you to work here but you'll discover the truth in your first week."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in White Plains, NY

"I've worked at Barnes & Noble for 2 months now and it's cool. I liked the job because of the location and also because I knew I wouldn't get too many terrible customers. But this job sucks. Management is terrible. They pay minimum wage and we do so much work. It takes over a year to get a raise and it's only 25 cents. The whole atmosphere is kind of depressing and they make it clear that they don't care about their workers, it's all about the customers. The training is no good, they fire you if you don't sell memberships, managers have the worst attitudes, it is very boring. They don't give much hours. The job is physically demanding and they aren't lenient with workers who may still be in school. All in all, the job isn't too good. Even the music is bad!"

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5

Barnes & Noble (184)

4.4 Highest Rated in this Industry is Adelphi University (7)
2.9 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Books-A-Million (19)
Barnes & Noble Employee

"Large company with a bright future but lacking focus."

Desktop Support Technician
in Westbury, NY

"Big company, nice people, 700 locations, great experience."

Average Barnes & Noble Ratings in the Past 4 Years

2013 $2
in Palo Alto, CA

"I've worked at Barnes & Noble in the NOOK group for 4 years. It's a great group of people, however the company is having some challenges finding it's place and coming up with exactly the right product for the Barnes & Noble customer base. After some missteps under previous management a new leadership team is trying to get NOOK back on the right path."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Automation QA Engineer
in Palo Alto, CA

"It was good environment and fun to work at Nook. Coworkers were excellent and management were terrific."

in Burlington, MA

"They are a very nice company to work for. Tools needed for PR job were dated which made the job difficult but over-all the company is good to it's employees as long as you do the job you were hired for."

Senior Linux Engineer
in Palo Alto, CA

"Best team ever. Let's see what they do next."

in Palo Alto, CA

"A good company with better people. It's the people here that make it fun to come to work."

Senior Network Engineer
in Westbury, NY

"The company has a lot of uncertainty and there is no room to grow."

Assistant Store Manager
in Long Beach, CA

"I've worked for Barnes & Noble for nearly 6 years. I started as a part time bookseller and with hard work and support from my supervisors have risen to management. The company maintains a focus on its staff, knowing that they are the faces in the community, serving the community, and representing the community."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
in Tuscaloosa, AL

"I have been with the company over 6 years now and the company has definitely changed. The focus into digital has been a failure and they know it but continue otherwise. I honestly do not have a lot of faith in this company. Its leadership does not seem to know what it wants to do, sell books, e-devices or toys, well why not all three It's honestly time for me to move on and improve on myself."

Manager

What do you like about working at Barnes & Noble?

"I love the actual job and the work that I do."

"In all fairness, it depends on the store. Some locations have General Managers who are employee focused and the better atmosphere can truly make a difference. As a Department Manager, I fight for my team and reward them myself with dinners and gift cards. If possible, do some research and find out what the culture at the particular location they are applying at is like."

What don't you like about working at Barnes & Noble?

"Company culture is not employee friendly. The workers are undervalued. The company keeps its hourly workers under full-time status so as to not provide benefits when the pay is already low. Employees rarely last more than a few months. Managers used to work 45-50 hours a week when on a salary that was based on 40, but after losing a lawsuit, have recently been made hourly. Now they are expected to be just as productive, but are not allowed to work over, so as not to qualify for overtime. Communication is top down only and employee input is not encouraged. Schedules are not consistent and make it impossible to properly utilize their vacation time. It makes for a very tense atmosphere."

"I would focus more on the employee culture, valuing their input and appreciating their efforts. Attrition is high due to the old school hierarchy which doesn't engage its employees at a personal level."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Store Manager
in Springfield, NJ

What do you like about working at Barnes & Noble?

"Working with books. Helping customers find books that fit their needs. Making suggestions. Selling."

"Be prepared for erratic schedules and conflicting, ambiguous direction from supervisors. Otherwise, there are some great people, and selling books is very rewarding."

What don't you like about working at Barnes & Noble?

"The hours were terrible. Frequent double talk from supervisors. Misguided budgets for payroll. Inconsistent direction."

"Be consistent in the day to day operational policies. Ensure that communication has reached all levels of the organization before making decisions."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
Equipment Services Project Manager

"Rewarding Experience working for Barnes and Noble Inc."

What do you like about working at Barnes & Noble?

"Great environment and people to work for and with and allowed my ideas to be implemented."

"None, other than show that you are a team player and are willing to work as hard as possible to meet all objectives."

What don't you like about working at Barnes & Noble?

"There is nothing I didn't like about working for Barnes and Noble Inc. that was worth mentioning."

"Continue and expand current culture and think outside the box."