16 Barnes & Noble Anonymous Employee Reviews

Browse Barnes & Noble Reviews by Job Title →
(based on 13 Anonymous Employee Review Ratings)
in Boston, MA

"Unless you are looking for a very short-term job for some spending cash, DO NOT WORK HERE! As sales get worse, hours get cut, managers get mean and employees quickly hate the job. They'll tell you everything you want to hear to get you to work here but you'll discover the truth in your first week."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in White Plains, NY

"I've worked at Barnes & Noble for 2 months now and it's cool. I liked the job because of the location and also because I knew I wouldn't get too many terrible customers. But this job sucks. Management is terrible. They pay minimum wage and we do so much work. It takes over a year to get a raise and it's only 25 cents. The whole atmosphere is kind of depressing and they make it clear that they don't care about their workers, it's all about the customers. The training is no good, they fire you if you don't sell memberships, managers have the worst attitudes, it is very boring. They don't give much hours. The job is physically demanding and they aren't lenient with workers who may still be in school. All in all, the job isn't too good. Even the music is bad!"

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5

Average Anonymous Employee Ratings in the Past 9 Years

2014 $3
2015 $2
2019 $1
Barnes & Noble Anonymous Employee

"Large company with a bright future but lacking focus."

in Palo Alto, CA

"I've worked at Barnes & Noble in the NOOK group for 4 years. It's a great group of people, however the company is having some challenges finding it's place and coming up with exactly the right product for the Barnes & Noble customer base. After some missteps under previous management a new leadership team is trying to get NOOK back on the right path."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5

Average Barnes & Noble Attributes by Anonymous Employee

2.6
in Burlington, MA

"They are a very nice company to work for. Tools needed for PR job were dated which made the job difficult but over-all the company is good to it's employees as long as you do the job you were hired for."

in Palo Alto, CA

"A good company with better people. It's the people here that make it fun to come to work."

in Tuscaloosa, AL

"I have been with the company over 6 years now and the company has definitely changed. The focus into digital has been a failure and they know it but continue otherwise. I honestly do not have a lot of faith in this company. Its leadership does not seem to know what it wants to do, sell books, e-devices or toys, well why not all three It's honestly time for me to move on and improve on myself."

Work Setting 3.9 / 5 Support You Get 4.3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.6 / 5
Growth Opportunities 3.6 / 5 Company Culture 4.2 / 5 Way You Work 4 / 5
Barnes & Noble Anonymous Employee

What do you like about working at Barnes & Noble?

"I had a lot of responsibilities. I was in charge of ordering and receiving. I got to work with customers frequently."

"Make sure you have your degree if you start moving into management. I didn't at the time and that limited my opportunities for advancement."

What don't you like about working at Barnes & Noble?

"My boss was holding me back and wouldn't take any of my ideas for the store into consideration. She felt threatened that I would be better in her position."

"Don't have the attitude like it's my store and I'll run it as I see fit all the time. Listen to your employees suggestions. Especially those that have been there longer than you. They may have an insight you didn't realize."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5