(based on 195 US Postal Service Review Ratings)
"The main reason why someone would become a mail carrier: it pays well. The base pay is not all that exciting; you make all your money by working constantly. I often work 6 days/wk, often and 10 hrs/day. In the past 2 months, I have made over $9K (seriously). The cons are plenty: long hrs/days, having little work-life balance, stress, and inclement weather to deal with. If you can learn to roll with the punches and suck it up, the paychecks sure make it worthwhile."
Posted 6 years ago in Olathe, KS
Distribution Associate
in Forest Lake, MN

"The company is very unstable due to the increased use of the internet."

What do you like about working at US Postal Service?

"Getting a check, and the people I work with keep me coming back."

"Don't waste your time. Spend your time looking for better employment."

What don't you like about working at US Postal Service?

"The management, the lack of work hours, lack of communication with the management. The uncertainty of the company."

"Keep employees in the loop of upcoming changes and respect employees."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Operations Manager

What do you like about working at US Postal Service?

"Interesting, varied, clear expectations, good level of support, made good use of my experience, knowledge and expertise."

"Maintain a positive attitude. Do not sacrifice your integrity. Never let them see you sweat."

What don't you like about working at US Postal Service?

"Often authority did not match accountability. Frequently expectations exceeded available resources."

"Practice collaboration more than dictation to encourage understanding and buy-in from subordinates."

Rural Carrier Associate
in Gainesville, GA

"Best opportunity I have had in my work."

What do you like about working at US Postal Service?

"I loved the daily interaction of customers and being my own boss."

"No, I feel that it provides a very personalized experience."

What don't you like about working at US Postal Service?

"The inability to transfer easily within the organization regarding relocation."

"To try not to get too wrapped up with the union grievances."

City Carrier
in Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Company Culture 2 / 5
Customer Service Supervisor
in Mount Airy, MD

What do you like about working at US Postal Service?

"I like the fact that I work for a business that I know I have good benefits and great pay for my family."

"Make sure you realize that we are going through a hard time right now, so be aware that promotion will be tough for a while."

What don't you like about working at US Postal Service?

"I feel as if I will lose my job at any minute. I don't know if I will have a job in 10 years."

"I would find innovative ways to improve the work environment so I could enjoy the work that I do. I would also find better ways for all the workers to work together so we could have a happier work environment."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Mail Carrier

What do you like about working at US Postal Service?

"I like the schedule because I start early and go home early."

"This job is very demanding and will take a lot of time of your life."

What don't you like about working at US Postal Service?

"Management is careless with employees and most employees are not accountable for their actions."

"I would try to change the mentality from employees towards the job."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Rural Letter Carrier Associate
in Tolland, CT

What do you like about working at US Postal Service?

"Independent and self managed work outside office for half the day, I find my customer's feedback and appreciation as a measure of my performance very rewarding, the physical work is challenging but enjoyable, quick pace of work is mentally stimulating."

"RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN... back to college, back to your old job, back to unemployment!! And do it while you're young! The average age of a postal worker is 55 and most of the workers I speak to are all afraid for their jobs, pensions and workplace environment. What a way to work!"

What don't you like about working at US Postal Service?

"Lots of talk (key word: talk) about advancement opportunities, but classes beneficial to advancement are constantly cancelled, personal involvement and investment in your job - whether through cost saving suggestions, money making suggestions or workplace environment suggestions - they all go ignored and, at times, not even acknowledged, unlike any place I've ever worked. Personality clashes between workers (and management versus workers alike) are allowed to fester, instead of being taken care of, due to ineffective management, and have resulted in workplace violence and hostility that has blown into fistfights and physical/verbal abuse in the workplace. Again, unlike any place I've ever seen and is VERY physically and verbally intimidating. Management in my office (and others, I must admit) is VERY verbally abusive, abuses their absolute power in the military style run post office system and is constantly very personally insulting. The USPS workplace mantra, a workplace with dignity and respect, free of violence, is constantly ignored by individual managers, making us enjoy our out of office, independent work tremendously due to the incohesive workplace."

"I would: stop insulting the intelligence of the workforce, and, yes, the USPS unions, so much with financial propaganda - they bring home the actual bacon, not lie to the American postal patron about our financial status - if we overpaid the retirement fund by $81billion (see Jan and Aug 2010 OIG reports), we made a decent profit with nothing but postage revenue, correct, fire the accountants and financial reviewers who, over years, overpaid the retirement fund by $81 billion, and caused the great loss of confidence of USPS employees (and postal consumers alike) in the proper management of the Postal Service, seek employee involvement by LISTENING to ALL the employees - who better to try and save their jobs than the very ones threatened to lose them, work better with my peers (IE - OIG), focus on getting the workforce engaged in the service and pride aspect of their jobs-the rewarding aspects of this occupational atmosphere that serve the personality traits of the longest serving employees, project a more positive outlook for our company so the employees don't feel like helpless dunnage on a sinking ship - not a current productive workplace environment, solicit AND LISTEN TO employee contributions and suggestions - who better to mold the company into the true SERVICE organization it was formed to be than the employees who have direct contact with the people we serve and hear their needs on a daily basis, enforce our ascribed workplace culture in EVERY office by listening to its employees and customers alike, not permitting individual fiefdoms to exist for management's individual personal agendas."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Postal Carrier
Person You Work For 3.8 / 5 People You Work With 4.8 / 5 Work Setting 4.7 / 5
Support You Get 4.6 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4.6 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4.4 / 5
Clerk
Person You Work For 4.8 / 5 People You Work With 4.8 / 5 Work Setting 4.9 / 5
Support You Get 4.8 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4.8 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4.9 / 5
Data Conversion Operator

"The work there was boring, but paid decently."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 2.9 / 5 Work Setting 2.5 / 5
Support You Get 2.6 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1.7 / 5
Mail Carrier
Support You Get 4.5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
Company Culture 3.2 / 5 Way You Work 4 / 5
Payroll Specialist
Person You Work For 4.2 / 5 People You Work With 3.7 / 5 Work Setting 3.6 / 5
Support You Get 3.8 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.5 / 5