(based on 195 US Postal Service Review Ratings)
"The main reason why someone would become a mail carrier: it pays well. The base pay is not all that exciting; you make all your money by working constantly. I often work 6 days/wk, often and 10 hrs/day. In the past 2 months, I have made over $9K (seriously). The cons are plenty: long hrs/days, having little work-life balance, stress, and inclement weather to deal with. If you can learn to roll with the punches and suck it up, the paychecks sure make it worthwhile."
Posted 6 years ago in Olathe, KS
in Plano, TX

"Great organization to work for."

in Colton, CA

"I have been working for the US Postal Service since 1989 and it has never been a decent work environment. I have transferred offices five times in hopes to find a healthier atmosphere in which to work. Psychopaths and narcissists control the organization. They rise to the top because they crave power, control and get off on intimidating healthy honest hard working individuals. The only way to move up is to be one of them. The only way to survive is to keep quiet. Managers use a style of managing like what you would expect from a 6 year old. I only have a year left and I pray the organization can last long enough for me to collect my hard earned retirement."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in Fredericksburg, VA

"In an attempt to understand the deterioration of the United States Post Office, one can look directly at the treatment of their associates: specifically, the Rural Carrier Associates (RCA). While I have a personal interest in the way business is handled when it comes to the RCAs, I will do my best to maintain objectiveness. However, I was emotionally vested in the USPS because I believed in the rhetoric when I was hired as an RCA. According to Indeed website, there are approximately 1,104 RCAs in the United States; which means this will make little to no impact within the USPS. However, I hope it will reach enough people to influence a few people who are interested in applying for the position. I will endeavor not to be Machiavellian with this observation. This is a direct observation within the Richmond, Virginia district, so my lens is limited in a small pool of the USPS. Nonetheless, if my experience with the USPS in the Richmond district is a reflection of how the rest of the USPS runs as a company, then it is likely there will be a significant change in how people receive their mail because the post office is going to fail. The position as a Rural Carrier Associate is a better than average pay position. I do not have any complaints about the pay. However, there is a serious flaw in how RCAs are paid. While City Carrier Associates CCAs use a standard electronic time clock, Rural Carriers and RCAs use a timesheet to track their hours. It is the responsibility of management and supervisors to maintain the integrity of the hours RCAs work. Unlike the time clock, the timesheet is a seriously flawed system when it comes to keeping track of RCA hours. Rural carriers have fixed routes and their hours rarely fluctuate. RCAs do not have the luxury of staying on one route, which means time sheets, handwritten times, are supposed to be tracked by management. Unfortunately, there has been a consistent problem with payroll for RCAs."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Scotts Valley, CA

"This is a VERY physically demanding job. I can deal with that aspect, but unfortunately, on top of that, the supervisors and manager are rude and disrespectful. They get upset with you for not knowing things they never taught . Also, every day I show up with a positive attitude and every day they make me feel like crap, even though I am giving it my honest, best effort. I don't believe that kind of negativity makes anything go better. They also all tell you different things and no one seems to be on the same page about how to do anything."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in Jersey City, NJ

"Postal Service is not what it used to be. They have cut costs, and what was once a good paying job is no longer. What they pay newly hired employees is criminal!"

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Mail Carrier
in Columbus, OH

"I worked for the postal service for 18 years and they treat you like your personal life doesn't matter."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Rural Letter Carrier
in Southwick, MA

"This is a horrible job, avoid it at all costs, don't believe the hype that it is a great place to work. The training doesn't cover the actual work procedures and conditions that you are exposed to. Management is horrible on all levels. You are told in training that learning the job is a long process, but when you get to your office, you are literally harassed by management if you don't learn the route and the job in less than four days. You are accused of mistakes you didn't make, as well as the fact that you are given step by step instructions of how to go through a procedure and then the next day, they change it without warning and tell you that you did it wrong. If you are not well liked, they will do just about anything to throw you under the bus to get you to leave or fire you. Also, you are expected to get done a large route in a short period of time. For example, my route was 600 units and they wanted it done in about 4 to 4.5 hours, including packages, if you didn't, then you were told you had to speed up. About three times a day, I was told I was too slow, doing the casing and the route. Finally, they will hardly give you any hours, you may only work about 3 to 4 days a month and they will expect you to keep your availability open and might terminate your employment if you attempt to get a second job."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in Pocatello, ID

"I have worked with the United States Postal Service for 3 months and I enjoy it a great deal."

Carrier
in Aliso Viejo, CA

"Worked for USPS for about a year and a half."

Rural Carrier Associate
in Glenmoore, PA

"I've been working for the Post Office for over a year now and it has become stale and repetitive, yet stressful due to increased pressure to perform to unrealistic standards."

Mail Sorter
in Carrollton, TX

"I have worked for United States Postal service and I found it to interesting and a motivated environment to work in. Due to my acceptance into Campbell University to pursue my career as in pharmacy, I have to leave and move to North Carolina, so I am currently living in North Carolina to improve myself and to finish my career."

in Bogart, GA

"The postal service is a great organization to work for."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
Clerk
in Providence, RI

"The USPS will not be around much longer unless they come up with an innovative way to deliver mail, we're in a the paperless age. They also outsource to their competitors."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Anchorage, AK

"I have worked for the United States Postal Service since 2006. While I feel that the company on the whole has a strong strategic plan for transitioning to a new business model way from first class letters to one based around parcel delivery, the ability of the local leadership to implement these plans and how well they communicate will determine your feelings about the company and the work that you do."

in Raleigh, NC

"This is a great place for learning new things working on the 3rd largest network. The managers are always helpful when needed and all have an open door policy."