(based on 163 Staples Review Ratings)
"Staples provided a good environment to grow as a young professional, and gave me the tools needed to really develop my current skillset and grow new talents. Management had a strong focus on their current employees, but would often times favor other employees based on geographical location. Overall, a good workplace, great co-workers, and good compensation. Major con would be one of my direct supervisors being a bit more of a party goer than I was, which would cause issues when I didn't want to go out to bars after a long work-day (this was frowned upon in the high-pressure sales environment)."
Posted 5 years ago in Framingham, MA
in Ontario, CA

"Being owned by a 3rd party makes me feel uneasy."

Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in Gilroy, CA

"There are a few good things about working at Staples, but unfortunately they don't outweigh the bad things, of which the store has in abundance. Here's a list, to hopefully discourage any of you from making my mistake. 1. Management: If you're lucky, you'll have a great management team to work with/for, but for the most part the managers neither care nor are they concerned with their employees input - especially if they are new managers. They ask for your opinion on a problem or project, you give it, and they simply disregard what you say and do the opposite. Then when their way doesn't work, they blame you. They also give their associates too many intricate, time consuming tasks to be completed in one shift, and then are upset when the employee cannot complete that list. They provide no support for their team at all. 2. Selling Goals: The expectation for the add on products is ridiculous and puts an insurmountable pressure on the employees. Now this is not the fault of management, but the company as a whole. Corporate tells the staff to sell everything - plans (on everything from calculators to backpacks and believe it or not, chair mats. Yes, you read that correctly), Staples credit cards (which are ONLY good with Staples and nowhere else), reward cards, surveys, and many, MANY other products. It gets overwhelming for the employee to ask, and the customer to listen to. And even though it is not specified when the employee is hired, they are threatened to do better at selling by being told that they can and will be disciplined, or even fired, if their performance does not improve. This is especially true of the tech services team and the cashiers. 3. Surveys: Staples, like many other companies, rely on the feedback of their customers to accurately gauge the quality of service in a specific store. The only problem is - after a customer is continually harangued throughout the store with add on questions the associates are made to ask, they do not want to give a survey."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5

Staples (282)

4.7 Highest Rated in this Industry is AutoAlert (6)
2.5 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Premium Retail Services (13)
Sales Associate
in Amherst, NH

"I started this job a month ago and it's a wonderful place to work."

in Plaistow, NH

"I've worked for staples for 4 years now. I've been in every department possible, and not by choice. This company is shutting down stores for a reason. I've been denied raises that were promised due to a change in general managers. Managers have very little concern or respect for associates. Being a hard worker doesn't make you any better than the laziest worker in management's eyes. We are told that customers are number one priority but also taught to squeeze every possible penny out of them. As long as you constantly exploit customers for their money, you don't have to do anything else. Very little desire to grow within the company, but also nearly impossible to do so."

Average Staples Ratings in the Past 3 Years

2013 $2
in Framingham, MA

"I worked for Staples as a sales manager. The company is very strong and a leader in the industry. The management style was too micromanaging for me and it seemed difficult to advance in the company. More people left than were promoted or moved to learn a new part of the company."

in Lincolnshire, IL

"I have been working with Staples for last three years, it is a great company to work with. We have several locations all over Europe and the main location is in Framingham, Massachusetts."

in San Francisco, CA

"Staples is a decent job, if you are just looking to get by. If you are a new San Francisco resident, such as myself, it is not nearly enough to help you keep up with bills, food, and personal fun. Nonetheless, it has helped me a lot in the social, sales and marketing settings."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
Intern
in Framingham, MA

"Great company to work for and excellent IT internship program."

B2B Sales Consultant

in Bronxville, NY

"A typical day at work consists of long lines, getting frequently disrespected by both customers and managers, and no breaks. I've learned that I absolutely loathe retail and customer service. I worked there for 3 weeks without pay when I first started because the management was too lazy to punch buttons and get me enrolled. The pay is weekly. The managers that have been at this place for years are complete morons. They talk to the associates as if they are their children. The employees are over worked and underpaid. Most of them have another job (or two) to make ends meet. The hardest part of working there would probably be the heavy customer service due to lack of employees on shift. They want to make budget so badly that there aren't many hours to give out. So you're pretty much on your own. The least stressful department would be stock if you don't mind occasionally being talked down to like a remedial slave. Worst place ever to work."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Keizer, OR

"Sucks! Virtually no promotions, No raises, crap benefits that they keep making worse. No respect and if you do start getting respected they give you the horrible shifts, No training, No punishment! Call out 2 days a week "sick" get fired in 1 year. Maybe it's just this store, but we've had 3 different managers from Oregon stores and all have the same plan, suck at their job!"

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Braintree, MA

"I've worked for Staples for 6 years. Very minimal lateral movement, and training to grow in the field. Cool people and staff though. Not a very serious sales environment."

Sales Associate
in Rockville, MD

"I've worked for staples since 2011 and it is a good place to work. I believe it was a good foundation and platform for me to start my career. I will recommend a friend and relative to work for this company."

in Burien, WA

"I do not recommend Staples as a company to work for. The only time I think it is a good choice is if you are in school. They are very fair with scheduling."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
in Framingham, MA

"Good workplace to learn how a fortune 500 company works. Unfortunately there are so many layers, a lot of bureaucracy, slow movement, low innovation and risk taking and lots of copying other companies."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5