274 U.S. Department of Defense Reviews

Browse U.S. Department of Defense Reviews by Job Title →
(based on 194 U.S. Department of Defense Review Ratings)
"I love the people and places I saw working for DOD. They helped to create the man I am today and to inspire me to better myself and dive headlong into the sciences, for which I am passionate."
Posted 6 years ago in Washington, DC
Substitute Teacher
in Charlotte, NC

"I work as Substitute Teacher from Jan 2020 to March 2020 (Doors closed due to Pandemic) due to Mortgage Banking does not exist here in Germany. I enjoyed teaching the kids and working for the state is different than working for a company but I enjoyed the experience. I was also the assistant coach to the baseball team but that was also shut down due to Covid 19. I miss working with the Attorney, Brokers, Processors and the Customer to ensure a smooth closing experience."

Sheet Metal Mechanic

"Working for the DoD is not for everyone. As expected, it is very regimented and the path to success is well defined. Daily tasks rarely change and the people within your immediate workspace rarely change dramatically. The benefits are great, but working on military equipment is no easy task. Getting into the aviation field is challenging as most employees and potential hires have active duty service and experience working on particular pieces of equipment. There are numerous opportunities for individuals that are interested in this field, but lack the military experience, though the process is markedly longer. Overall, my time here was mostly enjoyable, but not perfect. I would absolutely return to this employer, but in a position that reflects my newly completed education level."

Cognizant Engineer
in Savage, MD

"I worked for NSA for 29 years. Overall the experience was good, but towards the end, when I had to go out on disability, the experience turned very sour. My management was not sympathetic and tried to force me out on unfavorable terms in my last office. One individual even accused me of using my condition as a crutch. I chose to take that quietly just to get out of there but I could have made a great stink with OPM over that. Anyway, ultimately I did get a good severance package and time to recover, so if you can see past the degrading treatment I guess their benefit package was a good one. And during my healthy years the work and treatment was good, so I guess they're a mixed bag."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Production Lead
in Hayward, CA

"Good management, good benefits too. Flexible working hours, no stress and no pressure if you have done your part."

Average U.S. Department of Defense Ratings in the Past 4 Years

Information Security Specialist
in Maryland City, MD

"The federal sector is different from the private sector in which you are given more autonomy to in executing your job functions. More often you are not given any specialized training, but required to figure out the job and get it done. As with any job, there are pros and cons. Some environments are conducive of getting the work performed while others can be a challenge."

in Arlington, VA

"As a new employee you are put in a sink or swim position. Coworkers are helpful an do their best to help. Management is very unsupported. the attitude is mission first but staff is expendable. would not recommend working here unless you have a military mindset."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Washington, DC

"I learned how to apply applicable skils to digital content creation and to my role as a public affairs specialist."

in Camp Lejeune, NC

"Completing a 25-year career in the military, I am extremely proud to have served this nation at home and abroad. I have worked with some of the greatest Americans no one will ever know."

SME
in Arlington, VA

"Plenty of contracts if you are not already a government civilian employee."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Sparta, WI

"Received many awards and promotions"

in Aberdeen, MD

"Rapid career advancement by an innovative technology application."

Cryptologic Linguist
in Monterey, CA

"Typical Marine Corps experience."

in Fort Meade, MD

"I’ve worked for the department of defense for 2 years and the culture of the people you work with is great. However the lack of Software and IT capabilities puts a strain on completing projects effectively."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
in Lakehurst, NJ

"I've worked for the Naval Air Warfare Center since 2014 and have found it to have many opportunities for employee growth and development. There are some challenges associated with the location and restrictive government processes but the environment, emphasis on work-life balance, and interest of the subject matter make it a worthwhile career."

Mechanical Engineer
in Stennis Space Center, MS

"I like working for the department of defense."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5