246 U.S. Department of Defense Reviews

Browse U.S. Department of Defense Reviews by Job Title →

On average, employees at U.S. Department of Defense give their company a 3.9 rating out of 5.0 - which is 3% higher than the average rating for all companies on CareerBliss. The happiest U.S. Department of Defense employees are QA Specialists submitting an average rating of 4.5 and Computer Scientists with a rating of 4.2.

(based on 166 U.S. Department of Defense Review Ratings)
"I love the people and places I saw working for DOD. They helped to create the man I am today and to inspire me to better myself and dive headlong into the sciences, for which I am passionate."
Posted 4 years ago in Washington, DC
in Indianapolis, IN

"I have worked for the Federal Government for 3 years and I love my job. But, there is not a lot of room for advancement unless you are an officer."

in Washington, DC

"Take this with a grain of salt, my experience is limited to one particular office of one building of one agency under the Department of Defense. I found the work very limited as in you were given such a small piece of the puzzle, that the solution was trivial and required no brain power. I think that environment is not a good place for a young career professional, not enough opportunities to learn and grow. Very flexible work schedule, though that varies by office so ask before going with that. Overall, not recommended for young professionals."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in Doral, FL

"I have worked for the Department of Defense for eight years, and find the majority of DoD Finance/Resource Managers outstanding, hardworking, extremely ethical individuals. By contrast, after two years in Defense Intelligence Agency, I find the majority of the senior leadership in the COCOM to be the exact opposite when it comes to financial accountability and ethics."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Baltimore, MD

"If you're looking for job security, then look no further. Flexible hours and real meaningful work is what I was looking for and I get just that!"

Average U.S. Department of Defense Ratings in the Past 4 Years

Vehicle Repair Specialist
in Clackamas, OR

"Over all a good company to be employed with early in a career. Gaining valuable experience and in site. Drawback is military obligation requirements."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Subject Matter Expert
in Arlington, VA

"I worked as a subcontractor for the DoD doing classified work."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Senior Software Developer
in San Antonio, TX

"I've worked for DENCOM as a contractor for 2 years. There have been many technical challenges which we overcame. We are treated by the government employees as part of the team, and treated very fairly."

in Fort Meade, MD

"I have been with the Department of Defense since 1997 - it has changed quite a lot in that time. In my area, the stress can be very high, with little visibility and recognition. Sometimes this is very disheartening and the work doesn't seem worth the heartburn. However, the people you will meet are pretty amazing."

in Indianapolis, IN

"Govt position. Nothing really special. Politics was a big issue as most govt. work is."

Petty Officer
in Port Hueneme, CA

"I was in the armed forces for 5 years and have nothing but great experiences and met a lot of really influential people."

Logistics Manager
in Anchorage, AK

"Joining the military was the best thing I have ever done. They have taught valuable skills and have taught me to appreciate everything in life. I appreciate every opportunity that has been given to me. The military has made me an exceptional hard worker and have given me the ability to adjust to any situation. Trouble shooting and attention to details is second nature to me. I love my job and love my country."

Senior Intelligence Analyst
in Washington, DC

Logistics Manager
in Leesville, LA

"Overall while working as a Logistical Manager I found it very rewarding. The military has taught me a lot of valuable skills and experience I can apply to my next job."

Application Developer
in Miami, FL

"I've worked for the Department of Defense for about 12 years and have found it to to be both rewarding and challenging. There have been many different types of projects with many different platforms and technologies that I've had the privilege to work on."

in Battle Creek, MI

"By far the best job I ever had. Very sad to see it end."