(based on 31 Ross Stores Review Ratings)
Corporate Plan Achievement Analyst
in Dublin, CA

"I’ve worked for Ross for about 10months now and there is absolutely no work life balance. Vacation is limited and only given sparingly. Workload is heavy and stress is worse."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Ross Stores Employee

"Ross Stores is a great place to work with talented people in a positive environment. Ross is a large company with a corporate feel. The company has a great reputation among its customers. As an employee, professionalism is displayed in the workplace by all departments. There are moderate opportunities for growth as a professional."

Ross Stores (50)

4.8 Highest Rated in this Industry is AutoAlert (8)
2.5 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Premium Retail Services (13)
in West Palm Beach, FL

"If you want to work for nothing pay is ridiculous, work is always on overload, always understaffed and then complain that the job does not get done. Ross is all about the beat down, always negative. Management looks out for management. Notice a pattern when it gets close getting employee review magically, you get written up for BS fabricated event (it happened to me). There is no consistency in this entity. One manager does things one way. Go to another store, it's done another way and then you fall into the, that's not the Ross way, and the beat down humiliation starts. Not a good working environment. I gave one star to be able to review but they don't even deserve that. I give them negative 5 stars."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Sales Associate
in Coeur D Alene, ID

"I thought Ross Dress For Less was great - for a while. At least working there. As a shopper that sparked my interest. I had a pleasant interview and good beginning - training wise. I had issues being the only one working the dressing room. Impossible. I think Ross can be a good place to start or as a first job. It's the easiest POS I've encountered in retail. There IS a huge confusion about scheduling; hours and post-closing recovery, that was not half explained at all. No matter the section, no employee can do it all alone, especially in a busy to swamped store. I missed numerous breaks - not the exclusive either. It is NOT the employee's responsibility to make sure they took their break. One reason being they usually get too busy to even look at the clock. Once I asked an MOD (twice) if I could go on break now. No answer. And I couldn't leave my post. Ross IS a good company but they have a major fault line over loss and shoplifting. Sometimes these thefts are VERY overt. I didn't feel totally secure behind cash registers past a certain hour. And yes, staying open after 2 a.m. CAN be a sore idea. I felt that management needed to swish things up and alternate areas. Because soon enough it all became not doable."

Average Ross Stores Ratings in the Past 3 Years

2013 $2
Cashier
in Van Nuys, CA

"I've work for Ross for 3 years, am a hard working person, am always on time."

Ross Stores Employee

"I worked for Ross for just over a year as an operations manager. Pay was good, but after working there for a year, you couldn't pay me enough to go back. The company is disorganized. Management is unappreciative of employees. Pay for store associates is terrible. Everything is micromanaged because it has to be, since the pay offered to store employees is. Not enough to draw quality people. In the year I was there my store went through 3 managers, and went for over a year without a district manager. There were at least 9 different 'temporary' district managers, all of whom demanded we do things differently, resulting in confusion and inconsistency with processes. Company is process driven and has no respect for its employees. We were instructed to hire 3 times the needed number of employees because it was necessary to stay ahead of the company turnover rate."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Dublin, CA

"Good company, glad I'm here."

Warehouse Manager
in El Cajon, CA

"I've been working at ross for the past 4 years and I work hard for not much money."

in Perris, CA

"I've been employed at Ross for a little under 3 years. It employs over 1800 employees in a 1.4 million sq. foot facility. Ross currently supplies over 1000 stores in 29 states. Our biggest responsibility at Ross is to maintain a union free environment."

Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Ross Stores Employee

"This is a good starter company, I started in 2008 and have been employed with them for five years now. I have moved up to Assistant store manager, and I believe that it is time for me to look for something else in my career field. If you are looking for a retail position, Ross is a good company to start with and move up. You will learn how the retail world works, and especially get the people and management skills that will last throughout your retail career."

in Chino, CA

"I worked for Ross for 3 1/2 years. The benefits the company offered were good however the leadership structure was impossible. You never knew who to report to. We were given direction from District Mgr., Human Resource Mgr, Loss Prevention Mgr. Regional Manager and no one was ever on the same page. Direction was always different. It was very confusing because Loss Prevention and Human Resources were not Merchandisers and it created constant double work."

Night Stocker
in Miami, FL

"Again, lots of good people, but wow is the management terrible. Baaaaaaaaaaaad"

What do you like about working at Ross Stores?

"The co-workers are fine people, I get along with pretty much everybody."

"I hear that the day crew is great, but don't go to nightcrew, you'll go insane. Maybe it's just my ROSS, but it is terrible nonetheless"

What don't you like about working at Ross Stores?

"There is a very, VERY big need for proper leadership. The manager is constantly at odds with her main key-holder (I believe that's what they call it), and there's a very big gap in communication, as in, it's non-existent, a lot of presumptions are thrown around with no real decision being made. One of the key-holders, which just so happens to be the one we deal with most of the time, is completely rude. Her attitude and comments to the ENTIRE crew is simply immature and unfounded. She needs a chill pill. There is a constant need for speed, but it's totally illogical. They expect us to finish a truck, process and run all of the merchandise while we don't even have half the people we need. I think they have re-hired, and fire more than a dozen people over a very short window."

"Get that lady out of there, because when shes not present everybody does amazingly, but when she is there, all of a sudden, it goes downhill"

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Accounts Payable Manager
in Pleasanton, CA

What do you like about working at Ross Stores?

"Feel challenged every day; new opportunities learnAllowed to figure ouit stuff on your own"

"If you want to progess, or be inspired, good luck"

What don't you like about working at Ross Stores?

"Micro-managed; bureaucracy; process more important than people; no positive reinforcement"

"Treat as individuals, regardless of rank; let people know their value; team culture"

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Tech Lead
in Newark, CA

What do you like about working at Ross Stores?

"It was client with good software and Hardware infrastructure and funding."

"None. It is a nice place for learning advance software and hardware technologies and Business Analysis of retail items buying and selling at various stores."

What don't you like about working at Ross Stores?

"It was a client where I had worked as Deloitte consulting sub-contractor."

"I was a client where I was techlead for a sub-contracting team."

Distribution Operations Supervisor
in Moreno Valley, CA

What do you like about working at Ross Stores?

"Team work amongst my peers and the ability to implement process improvement that I have developed."

"Be prepared for a fast paced work environment that present daily challenges."

What don't you like about working at Ross Stores?

"The company has about 60 supervisors and many have 7 plus years experience which advancement options limited."

"The future looks very bright and will continue to provide many challenges."