(based on 122 OfficeMax Review Ratings)
"Office Max is a very good company to work with. The managers are excellent and open communication culture is very good."
Posted 6 years ago in Naperville, IL
Assistant Store Manager
Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1.5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
Company Culture 2.2 / 5 Way You Work 5 / 5
Sales Associate
Way You Work 3 / 5
Key Carrier
Person You Work For 4.8 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 3.6 / 5
Support You Get 4.9 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2.9 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4.8 / 5
Pricing Analyst
Way You Work 3 / 5
National Sales Manager
Support You Get 3.9 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.1 / 5
Onsite Specialist
Support You Get 4.5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.7 / 5
Furniture Specialist
in Michigan City, IN

"Prepare to be taken advantage of at this company, no benefits, no pay, no respect."

What do you like about working at OfficeMax?

"I liked working with technology and the retail sales experience. I also enjoyed a few of the people I worked with."

"Unless you need a job so bad as to put yourself through hell to get one, do not work here."

What don't you like about working at OfficeMax?

"The pay is horrible, benefits should might as well be nonexistent. I hate the way OfficeMax abuses it's human resources, expecting of their employees way more than any other company I have ever been involved with has. If you are cut-throat enough you might rise to the level of district manager, but only if you are pretty bloodthirsty. Look out for a lot of false compliments, you might be doing fine one minute, but if one small thing goes wrong, you are dirt under the shoe of everyone, even if it was not your problems to fix in the first place."

"Treat your employees better for god sakes. Understand that there is amhome life for your associates, and have a genuine heart. Compensation might not be everything, but these days you can only attract the best people and keep them for long periods of time, by offering better compensation."

Logistics Coordinator
Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 3.9 / 5 Work Setting 3.1 / 5
Support You Get 2.8 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2.7 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2.6 / 5
Furniture Specialist
Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 4.9 / 5 Work Setting 4.9 / 5
Support You Get 4.9 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4.9 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2.9 / 5
Business Development Representative

What do you like about working at OfficeMax?

"Company provided training to help employees become experts at their positions. Several sales classes available."

Customer Service Representative

"As a Customer Service Rep with OfficeMax, my duties were a major part of running the business accurately."

What do you like about working at OfficeMax?

"I loved working hands on and always having a list of things to do for the corporate accounts."

"Have a great attitude and maintain your sense of humor. Most people quit right away because it's such a mess working for them.."

What don't you like about working at OfficeMax?

"Um, well the corporate managers have not been very successful with the decision making for the Bay Area stores."

"Make the proper decision and stick with it. You will always have to problem solve along the way."

District Manager

"The company was decent but did not have the structure in place to keep up with growth."

What do you like about working at OfficeMax?

"I liked the fact that if you were willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done you were rewarded with promotion. The products and services were very good."

"OfficeMax is a place where in a team environment you must be self reliant. Be prepared to work long hours and have the physical ability to perform heavy lifting. Must have excellent communication and selling skills."

What don't you like about working at OfficeMax?

"The training was very limited and if you did not previously work in retail you would probably not have made it."

OfficeMax Employee

What do you like about working at OfficeMax?

"Gratifying to work directly with customers at the C-level to identify their business needs and utilizing our resources to create win-win solutions while growing share-of-wallet sales. Ability to work from home environment, self motivated."

What don't you like about working at OfficeMax?

"I was originally hired by Boise Cascade before the merge with OfficeMax. Boise Cascade had a customer first philosophy. Listen to the customer, identify the need/pain and utilize our toolbox of solutions to fill that need. At OfficeMax, the business reviews and incentives were built around trying to sell our customer on very specific programs whether they were a good fit or not."

"Continue to find ways to streamline costs but don't forget to listen to the customer."

Construction Project Manager

What do you like about working at OfficeMax?

"The work construction manager is great work, but the corporation is needing extra lending hands, hostile enviroment and not a good place to work."

"Just be aware of the internal actions and management - do your due diligence prior to accepting a post."