On average, employees at Family Dollar give their company a 3.5 rating out of 5.0 - which is 8% lower than the average rating for all companies on CareerBliss. The happiest Family Dollar employees are District Managers submitting an average rating of 4.4 and Assistant Managers with a rating of 3.6.

(based on 46 Family Dollar Review Ratings)
in Davison, MI

"Don't ever work there if you're possibly pregnant. If they can't run you out with 1-2 days a week shifts, about 4 months in someone will call you in the middle of moving and fire you. In my 15+ years of customer service, only this place left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. This was my first job here in Michigan right after my move here from Arizona. The rest of the co-workers were great and made me feel welcomed."

Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in Clinton, MA

"Store management is vicious. She berates employees in front of customers and is overall rude. The store isn't staffed with anyone motivated by anything except avoiding being ridiculed publicly."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5

Family Dollar (79)

4.8 Highest Rated in this Industry is AutoAlert (5)
2.5 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Premium Retail Services (13)
Cashier
in Morgantown, WV

"This is a horrible place to work. You are on shift with 1 assistant manager and most of them sit outside smoking most of the night. They refuse to help on register. Not all but most of the supervisors are lazy, they want you to do your job and theirs too."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Family Dollar Employee

"Horrible place to work. I'm going on my second year here and I've seen nobody get promoted. They fire a lot though and bring in new people for higher positions that need to be filled. No holiday pay for our holidays off. They fire you if you frequently work overtime because they don't want to pay it. No healthcare benefits for part time employees. All employees are considered part time aside from the various managers and people in higher positions. You'll be lucky to even get a bathroom break let alone a 15 minute break. No motivation, employee of the month rewards, recognitions of any kind. They don't care about you, just what you can do for them. They work you harder than they pay you. Worst job I ever had. The pros are you get paid weekly. That's it."

Average Family Dollar Ratings in the Past 3 Years

Assistant Manager
in Pine Bluff, AR

"Being an assistant manager was pretty profound. I noticed my growth within management from this company. I help assist my manager with a team of 10 employees. I was fortunate to be asked to go to other stores to help out with organization and structure in there facilities. Great experience."

in Menands, NY
Store Clerk
in Jacksonville, FL

"Worst company I've worked for besides Doorstep in Jacksonville. I can say at least most of the workers in my store were not drug addicts, but in my opinion some were. Most of them stole from the company, and yet were allowed to do it by corporate workers who didn't want to look bad on paper for high turnover. I was forced to bag people's items in trash bags because corporate decided too many bags were used and put a hold on all shipments. Let's see, if you are a lazy useless worker, you will apparently do well there, where as if you're not, look somewhere else, or be stuck babysitting assistant managers who can't count money at the end of the night. Expect to do every other person's job, because they are too hung over or lazy. I would live in a box before ever working for this company again basically, they tried to make me assistant manger, which would then lead to manager, and living in your store, literally. My manager spent 2-3 nights a week in the store trying to get work done which others didn't do."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
in Fort Wayne, IN

"I worked for Family Dollar for nine months. We had the same employees until the last three months of my employment there. They had hired someone with the same experience as me but making more money, then after they let her go my pay was not changed. Then they moved one of our assistant managers. So my hours sky rocketed and I was not mad about that, I had needed the money. Shortly after the third week of amazing hours they hire on someone new and tell them they are guaranteed 40 hours a week. I got 8 hours."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Application Administrator
in Matthews, NC

"Overall Family Dollar was a great company to work for. I loved working with my co-workers and was deeply saddened when my employment there was terminated."

Assistant Manager
in Memphis, TN

"I have worked for Family Dollar for 3 yrs and though it is a successful company I feel that it does not have the best interest of the employees of the entry level positions in mind. With low pay, minimal chances for advancement, I feel the company can improve.So therefore I feel it is best if I move on."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
Lead Financial Systems Analyst
in Matthews, NC

"Worked in family Dollar IT for about an year and has been a good experience."

in Matthews, NC

"FD has done well to embrace new business practices and tools but need to follow through by improving some dated process and cultural aspects. Overall, a fine place to work."

Cashier
in Rockford, IL

"Family dollar is a great company to work for, but for me I just want a better paying job, and to do something I love at the same time."

Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
Manager

"I worked for this company for 5 years. I went wherever I was asked whenever I was asked. I helped many stores and advanced rapidly, but at a cost of my personal life and family. At times I was working 80-90 hr weeks (salaried) and always understaffed because the company doesn't offer enough payroll. I was working in a tough city store and was alone every morning for at least 1 or 2 hrs. The rest of the time there were only 2 employees. Some of the stores are alone for 7 or more hrs."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
in Columbia, SC

"While working for Family Dollar I enjoyed the different things that I learned."