(based on 88 Dollar General Review Ratings)
Sales Associate
in Butner, NC

"I have been working with Dollar General for a few months and I have enjoyed the experience with the customers."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
in Murfreesboro, TN

"I have worked with the company for 8 long years, and feel like I have aged at least 20. The pay isn't terrible for the key carriers and store manager, but it's still not worth it for everything you have to deal with. Employment with Dollar General is always a game of "How long can you take the bull?" As long as I have been here, I still completely understand when people only last a few weeks. It just means they stood up for themselves and had a backbone. Dollar General doesn't want employees, they want slaves. I know that is a strong word, but the expectations and complete disregard for employees' work/life balance is comparable to the age of industrialization. More money in the higher up's pockets, no matter the cost. If you work in a store, you're just a little peon. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU. You'll do okay at DG if you're the kind of person who can just see it as a paycheck and let stuff roll off your back and just comply with whatever demands they make of your schedule/performance, no matter how unreasonable. I'm just not that kind of person. I care too much."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
in Goodlettsville, TN

"If you're looking for a comfortable, easy IT gig with a decent salary and benefits, then Dollar General is worth considering. But if you care about things like modern technologies, efficient processes, and a well-organized IT environment, then steer clear of Dollar General. Their IT department is a chaotic, disorganized mess, with extremely outdated systems and processes."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Lock Haven, PA
Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Columbus, OH

"if you want to work 6 days a week, have vacations you can't relax while taking, and babysitting staff daily, then this is the job for you. And don't PO any of your workers cause they can call and 'tell' on you, which opens up an entirely new can of worms. Bad working conditions, no AC, hard to get good help, and did I mention 6 day work weeks? Upper management... no help, nothing is ever gonna be right, glad I'm not there anymore."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in North Myrtle Beach, SC

"Nice place to work, managers are fair in decisions and schedule decisions and pay."

in Goodlettsville, TN

"The very poor systems, and the focus on operations, hinders one's ability to drive or react to business effectively."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Dollar General Employee

"I have been at Dollar General since May 2013. I have to say the manager there is very unappreciative of anything anyone does. It's all about him. We're lucky to get a break other than lunch. The paperwork he does about employee evaluations are fraudulent because he never monitors the employee like he says he does, he just writes something on the paper to make himself look good. Everything he reports to corporate is a lie. Even the way our store puts out freight isn't right but he tells them we do it."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Lead Sales Associate
in Dunlap, TN

"I have worked for Dollar General since 2006, it has been an overall good experience, meeting really good people and gaining job experience. I would love to move on away from retail and utilize my degree in mechanical engineering."

Sales Associate
in Ruston, LA

"Dollar General is a great company for someone looking for a job to get by with."

Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
Warehouse Supervisor
in Goodlettsville, TN

"Excellent company to work for because of the economy. They have hired into the professional ranks of the company to many uneducated or hourly people. This is not a way to help the company grow to the next level. They encourage education and growing within the company. They do take very good care of the employees."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in Culpeper, VA

"This company is, without doubt, the most poorly organized and unprofessional group of lost souls out there. Yes, there are a few good people but between the constant attempts to squeeze their managers for every drop of blood (today I heard from HR - Taking a mandatory conference call isn't work! and constant reminders that we employees are all thieves...), it's just a sad little control-freak of a company. Rated the 4th WORST company to work for in 2013! Only do it as a last resort!"

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Scottdale, GA

"When I initially applied for the job and interviewed, I was told there were numerous opportunities for growth. They never said that it was only an opportunity if management liked you. I was looked over twice for a promotion that I felt I could have performed and did well at. By the end I was hurt and mad that I was never given the chance to move up with Dollar General.The company is not a hard one to work for nor is the work hard. It is tedious as with any retail job but can be very rewarding ."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
General Manager
in Land O' Lakes, FL

"Be ready to work in a very negative atmosphere."

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"It is a growing company with over 10,000 locations. You don't need an education to work here."

"Don't waste your time. It will be all promises with no results."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"I don't like the absolutely horrible district manager who plays favorites with the people she likes. Lack of payroll hours means a store manager practically lives at the store. Successes are never mentioned, but anything wrong always is."

"Listen to suggestions and improvements from store managers. We are the field people."

General Manager
in Tampa, FL

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I like the training and development of staff. I like turning a store around by reducing turnover and shrink."

"Ask lots of questions about work environment and what expectations are."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"I don't like very long hours. Tasks and responsibilities were excessive, given the labor hours."

"Put a lot more emphasis on training and development. Reward star players."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5