(based on 84 Dollar General Review Ratings)
in Columbus, OH

"if you want to work 6 days a week, have vacations you can't relax while taking, and babysitting staff daily, then this is the job for you. And don't PO any of your workers cause they can call and 'tell' on you, which opens up an entirely new can of worms. Bad working conditions, no AC, hard to get good help, and did I mention 6 day work weeks? Upper management... no help, nothing is ever gonna be right, glad I'm not there anymore."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in North Myrtle Beach, SC

"Nice place to work, managers are fair in decisions and schedule decisions and pay."

in Goodlettsville, TN

"The very poor systems, and the focus on operations, hinders one's ability to drive or react to business effectively."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Dollar General Employee

"I have been at Dollar General since May 2013. I have to say the manager there is very unappreciative of anything anyone does. It's all about him. We're lucky to get a break other than lunch. The paperwork he does about employee evaluations are fraudulent because he never monitors the employee like he says he does, he just writes something on the paper to make himself look good. Everything he reports to corporate is a lie. Even the way our store puts out freight isn't right but he tells them we do it."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Lead Sales Associate
in Dunlap, TN

"I have worked for Dollar General since 2006, it has been an overall good experience, meeting really good people and gaining job experience. I would love to move on away from retail and utilize my degree in mechanical engineering."

Sales Associate
in Ruston, LA

"Dollar General is a great company for someone looking for a job to get by with."

Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
Warehouse Supervisor
in Goodlettsville, TN

"Excellent company to work for because of the economy. They have hired into the professional ranks of the company to many uneducated or hourly people. This is not a way to help the company grow to the next level. They encourage education and growing within the company. They do take very good care of the employees."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in Culpeper, VA

"This company is, without doubt, the most poorly organized and unprofessional group of lost souls out there. Yes, there are a few good people but between the constant attempts to squeeze their managers for every drop of blood (today I heard from HR - Taking a mandatory conference call isn't work! and constant reminders that we employees are all thieves...), it's just a sad little control-freak of a company. Rated the 4th WORST company to work for in 2013! Only do it as a last resort!"

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Scottdale, GA

"When I initially applied for the job and interviewed, I was told there were numerous opportunities for growth. They never said that it was only an opportunity if management liked you. I was looked over twice for a promotion that I felt I could have performed and did well at. By the end I was hurt and mad that I was never given the chance to move up with Dollar General.The company is not a hard one to work for nor is the work hard. It is tedious as with any retail job but can be very rewarding ."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
General Manager
in Land O' Lakes, FL

"Be ready to work in a very negative atmosphere."

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"It is a growing company with over 10,000 locations. You don't need an education to work here."

"Don't waste your time. It will be all promises with no results."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"I don't like the absolutely horrible district manager who plays favorites with the people she likes. Lack of payroll hours means a store manager practically lives at the store. Successes are never mentioned, but anything wrong always is."

"Listen to suggestions and improvements from store managers. We are the field people."

General Manager
in Tampa, FL

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I like the training and development of staff. I like turning a store around by reducing turnover and shrink."

"Ask lots of questions about work environment and what expectations are."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"I don't like very long hours. Tasks and responsibilities were excessive, given the labor hours."

"Put a lot more emphasis on training and development. Reward star players."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in Tampa, FL

"Be prepared to work hard physically as a store manager."

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"It provided employment in a down economy. Benefits were OK, and training and development of staff. It was personally gratifying to raise sales, turn a store around, and lower shrink."

"Ask lots of questions upfront. Check the store physical environment before signing on."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"Very long hours for store managers were the norm, and there was absolutely no work-life balance. It was difficult to get qualified help. There were lots of promises made for career advancement, but no support or mentoring from district or higher level. Store maintenance was horrible. It was not uncommon to have to deal with no AC all summer. IT and equipment problems were the norm. Sometimes it added 10-15 hours on your already long week."

"Institute a five-day work week for store managers. Give the assistant manager more responsibility and chances to earn bonuses. Recognize and reward store employees."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
IT Systems Architect
in Nashville, TN

"The corporate culture is better than most."

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I like the great corporate culture. I feel valued and trusted. The team works very well together."

"Show you are a team player and work well with others. Follow through and get the job done."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"I do not receive the same compensation as FTEs, although contributions may be higher than most."

"Take suggestions from more experienced employees, regardless if they are contractors or FTEs."

in Ponca City, OK

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I like the customer interaction, team atmosphere within the store, and the physical tasks."

"There are a lot of positive aspects with this company. However, if applying with Dollar General, I advise spending time speaking with current employees at the location you are applying with and taking the time to carefully consider if it is a good fit for you."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"They offer no support, they do not allow enough labor dollars to successfully manage a store, and they do not treat all employees equally."

"Listen to your team, be aware of their opinions and respect them, even if you do not agree with those opinions."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Montgomery, AL

"It is a great place to work."

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I really enjoy working for Dollar General. It is a good company to work for."

"Just relax and answer the questions, and don't be afraid to ask questions ."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"The new warehouse that I get my trucks from is not packed well."

"The payroll needs to be more where there can at least be three people in the stores at all times."