(based on 84 Dollar General Review Ratings)
in Muskegon, MI

"I was informed that I would be a store manager, and it did not happen."

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I liked the business part of it, learning new things about business and how it worked. I liked knowing that I was giving my all to the company."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"I didn't like the wages and the empty promises."

"Be a transformational manager and inspire all your employees to work together as a team, instead of just doing it for themselves. Your employees help make the business grow."

District Manager

"Poor company."

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"It is a national company."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"I don't like the management style."

in Lindsborg, KS

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I liked the flexibility and how they understood that people actually have lives away from work."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"I didn't like the constant overseeing done by the district manager, and the negative attitude some people brought to the work place."

"Relax. Take a breath every day before you start. Make a list of problems to solve or objectives for the day, and then complete them, and be flexible. My project management teacher taught me this and it's kind of my day-to-day motto now."

Regional Field Trainer
in Saint Louis, MO

"It was a good job."

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"My position as a regional trainer was an opportunity to develop others by using my skills."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"I didn't like the stability of the position at the time."

"Advertise a little more."

District Manager

"Very challenging. There is not a lot of payroll and you must be very well organized."

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I like the opportunity for growth."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"The company is not stable."

Cashier
in Glenwood, IL

"It was difficult to work at that time."

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I like dealing with the customers."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"There is nothing to not like."

"I would just suggest more hours available."

General Manager
in Aurora, IL

"Dollar General is a great place to work."

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I enjoy consistently producing positive business results in regard to sales, profit/loss and developing quality talent."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"I enjoy working for Dollar General. I have no dislikes."

"I suggest Dollar General continue with refining and positively impacting the business needs to enhance profitability."

Customer Service Representative
in Loves Park, IL

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I liked the people who came into the store on a weekly basis that you got to know on a personal level."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"The pay was very low for what I was doing."

"Employees work hard at Dollar General. I would suggest paying as such."

Assistant Manager

"That store is only as good as your worst employee."

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I worked and saw this store evolve from a bare floor to flourishing store. I worked 40+ hours per week and loved every minute of my job. I had a crew/team that I could get them to do anything. The people, so many people! There is nothing like the holidays in retail: excited little kids, parents scurrying around, and the generosity of people for those less fortunate. Every week when the truck arrived, it was exciting to see what we received different. I really like merchandising the end caps and window dressing. None of the general duties--such as cash accountability, deposits, opening, closing, tending to the security alarms and safe, ordering, stock counts, on hand adjustments, clean and safe work place, safe shopping areas, stocking shelves, customer service, hiring, training, fair discipline of employees, calling corporate to get a repairman there, taking voice mail from the DM, taking out the trash, or cleaning the parking lot--was ever a problem for me. I did whatever it took to keep that store at the top."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"There was no room to advance to a manager. There were a few of types of paper I was never permitted to learn and I don't have a nice answer for that. When Dollar General got into Nascar racing, all assistants lost their bonus. The manager spent very little time in the store. Enough said."

"Make sure when you make someone an assistant manager, the registers are set up to take their number and they don't have to use the manager's number, making it look like she opened and closed every day. Investigate employee complaints and take them seriously before you end up begging good management to stay. Stop making the manager your priority."