(based on 77 Dollar General Review Ratings)
Customer Service Representative
in Loves Park, IL

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I liked the people who came into the store on a weekly basis that you got to know on a personal level."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"The pay was very low for what I was doing."

"Employees work hard at Dollar General. I would suggest paying as such."

Assistant Manager

"That store is only as good as your worst employee."

What do you like about working at Dollar General?

"I worked and saw this store evolve from a bare floor to flourishing store. I worked 40+ hours per week and loved every minute of my job. I had a crew/team that I could get them to do anything. The people, so many people! There is nothing like the holidays in retail: excited little kids, parents scurrying around, and the generosity of people for those less fortunate. Every week when the truck arrived, it was exciting to see what we received different. I really like merchandising the end caps and window dressing. None of the general duties--such as cash accountability, deposits, opening, closing, tending to the security alarms and safe, ordering, stock counts, on hand adjustments, clean and safe work place, safe shopping areas, stocking shelves, customer service, hiring, training, fair discipline of employees, calling corporate to get a repairman there, taking voice mail from the DM, taking out the trash, or cleaning the parking lot--was ever a problem for me. I did whatever it took to keep that store at the top."

What don't you like about working at Dollar General?

"There was no room to advance to a manager. There were a few of types of paper I was never permitted to learn and I don't have a nice answer for that. When Dollar General got into Nascar racing, all assistants lost their bonus. The manager spent very little time in the store. Enough said."

"Make sure when you make someone an assistant manager, the registers are set up to take their number and they don't have to use the manager's number, making it look like she opened and closed every day. Investigate employee complaints and take them seriously before you end up begging good management to stay. Stop making the manager your priority."