Dollar General Employee Job Reviews in the United States

Browse Dollar General Reviews by Job Title →

(based on 98 Dollar General Review Ratings)

2.7
Dollar General Employee

"I just quit Dollar General. Here's the breakdown of the 3 days I lasted there. On my 1st day, the manager told me to be there at 7:30. She didn't get there until 10 mins to 8. They open at 8. She talked a mile a minute and was darting all over the place like a rabbit on drugs. (i found out later that she drinks coffee and red bulls all the time). Every time she showed me something she rushed me through it, and when I asked questions, especially if it was about something she had already shown me she acted so irritated and sighed and said okay give me a minute and I will be right there in such a bitchy way. On the 2nd day she had me work till closing because she needed to show me the closing procedures, she rushed me through that too. I left not feeling good at all about her training. I was off the next day and then was supposed to work the next day but since she has me feeling very confused about everything and her training was too rushed and left me feeling miserable and coming back I called in sick. The next day I worked but had a job interview with another company when I got off work. Dollar General needs to have a person designated as a trainer to train employees, not the managers, then the employees would not feel so rushed and be able to retain the information they are given. The other issue I has was if I'm scheduled to be off at a certain time then I should be able to leave at that time, not 15, 20, or 30 mins later. Sorry, Dollar General but you don't have it going on in the employee department. It's no wonder that every time I go to a Dollar General there are always new people working there and the old people have quit."

Dollar General Employee

"Don't file a complaint, because nothing will be done. They don't care how their employees are treated. If you do file a complaint, all you get told is that it will be over soon or some other response, that is after 3 months of complaints."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5

Dollar General (158)

4.6 Highest Rated in this Industry is Lehigh Press (8)
2.7 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Aaron Brothers (16)
Dollar General Employee

"Listen, it was a good place to work at till this recent woman got hired now it's a nightmare she talks behind your back and the other lady that works there can do no wrong, and in the manager's eyes it's all high school drama"

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
Dollar General Employee

"I have worked for DG for just about a year. I love my job and I'm good at it.i have a toxic boss. She is Store Manager but all she really is is a salaried stocker. She saw me work on truck day I can put stock on shelves fast and accurately (in right place) now she puts me on register now we have isle that you can't walk down. She belittles certain employees and stops talking to you even about work things."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
Dollar General Employee

"Low pay boss is very outspoken has no filter. embarrasses you in front of others. She doesn't talk to you about employee benefits.Hours are basically set but work is hard. Cameras everywhere and computer monitors every input and marks can and will be used against you. This is a bad job expect way too much. corporate wants ROBOTs"

Dollar General Employee

"I’ve worked for Dollar General going on three/four years now, and if I could find somewhere else to go I would do it in a heartbeat. Within these 3/4 years I have seen six different District Managers, three Managers, two Assitant Managers, and close to one hundred cashiers. If you genuinely enjoy working for people without being recognized, rewarded, valued, or even paid well then you might like this job."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
Dollar General Employee

"So I've worked as a cashier for a whole and I can tell you one thing I don't appreciate is a manager who plays favorites,and gives hours based on who she likes even if an employee can cover the shift she goes above and beyond to have someone else cover the shift because she says the employees is slow and she doesn't want to deal with that employee, I don't appreciate being ordered to do something because they want it like coming in 2 hours early on a day that im scheduled. At 10 , especially when the manager knows the home situation and barks orders at me like they are a general.in the military The management needs a reality check"

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Dollar General Employee

"Put to much work load on any employee, no support whatsoever, give small amount of hours and expect managers to work 24/7 never have a lunch break, get called and messages day and night. DM has messages sent via cell phone to manager ( manager pays their own bill) set up to fail always. Very dangerous place to work for"

Dollar General Employee

"The Brunner Dollar General is a nice store, the layout is spacious, and all the customers are great; but the store manager, is terrible. She is two faced and does not treat the employees equal. She plays her favorites and shuns the ones she don't like. She is always shopping on the clock and expects you to do just about everything all while staying close to the register, which is impossible. This store could be a five star store but needs to get a new store manager."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Dollar General Employee

"My main manager was amazing! I loved her so much. Unfortunately, one of the assistant managers was a grouchy, geriatric pain in the neck! Racist, rude and arrogant old grouch. She was so rude that I once went home crying. Other customers have complained about her rudeness. Not very many people believe me. That old woman has been racist to both Hispanic and African-American customers. The keyholder cannot shut up about politics. A man in military uniform showed at her register and she immediately starts discussing politics and he looks embarrassed. She was prejudiced against an LGBT employee. There is a reason why not very many POCs work at this location. They often times quit. I would freak out anytime a POC customer came because I worried that my racist ASM would say something to them. I have even seen her yell and be rude to Hispanic customers. She thinks I'm the lazy one. She goes on smoke break every five minutes and wants to call me lazy! You can either find her in the office or smoking. She was always jumping down my throat about something to the point of a customer calling her out on it. She is an evil person."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Sales Associate

"Not a good company and I want to be furthering my career in software development."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
Dollar General Employee

"Great store to work at. the customers are very nice and the managers and supervisors are nice. also the only thing I don’t like was they couldn’t keep workers because the pay was low"

Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
Cashier

"I enjoy working at dollar general, my co-workers are great to work with, for the most part, my customers are great people. The pay could be better but it’s a little extra money."

Sales Associate

"Dollar General was a great beginning job just to make money on the side, although it is not at all what I want to do for my future and how I want to proceed with life. I believe it is a great retail job for anybody currently looking for one."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Dollar General Employee

"Absolute catastrophe! Store open with very few employees. Assistant Manager at breaking point. Manager sick. District Manager absolutely no help at all. Company only sees the bottom line. DO NOT care about employees. Work your butt off for pennies."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5

Dollar General Reviews FAQs

Is Dollar General a good company to work for?

Dollar General has an overall rating of 3.0 Average Rating out of 5, based on over 98 Dollar General Review Ratings left anonymously by Dollar General employees, which is 23% lower than the average rating for all companies on CareerBliss. 67% of employees would recommend working at Dollar General.

Does Dollar General pay their employees well?

Dollar General employees earn $30,000 annually on average, or $14 per hour, which is 55% lower than the national salary average of $66,000 per year. 51 Dollar General employees have shared their salaries on CareerBliss. Find Dollar General Salaries by Job Title.

How satisfied are employees working at Dollar General?

67% of employees would recommend working at Dollar General with the overall rating of 3.0 out of 5. Employees also rated Dollar General 2.8 out of 5 for Company Culture, 2.8 for Rewards You Receive, 2.7 for Growth Opportunities and 2.8 for support you get.

What is the highest paying job at Dollar General?

According to our data, the highest paying job at Dollar General is a SVP of Global Supply Chain at $310,000 annually. Browse Dollar General Salaries by Job Profile.

What is the lowest paying job at Dollar General?

According to our data, the lowest paying job at Dollar General is a Dishwasher at $12,000 annually. Browse Dollar General Salaries by Job Profile.

What are the pros and cons of working at Dollar General?

According to reviews on CareerBliss, employees commonly rated the pros of working at Dollar General to be People You Work With, Person You Work For and Way You Work, and cons to be Company Culture and Growth Opportunities.