(based on 45 Battelle Review Ratings)
in Pueblo, CO

"I worked at the Battelle Memorial Institute Pueblo Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant Project during construction, start-up, pilot testing and full operations. The Battelle staff and other staff on the contract team were the most intelligent and experienced that I have found in my 32 years of environmental work. The schedule and cost pressure are very intense for a defense contract and can be daunting if you are not accustomed to extreme pressure and rapidly changing multiple high priorities. The safety and quality culture on the project are well above average."

in Chantilly, VA

"I’ve worked at Battelle for 1 year. Ramping up nicely, but some contract difficulties make it feel a bit shaky."

Battelle (65)

4.5 Highest Rated in this Industry is Adopt A Highway (5)
2.6 Lowest Rated in this Industry is CyraCom (15)
in Conway, KY

"Great place to work. A two thumbs up."

in Richmond, KY

"Fantastic place to work. Poor schedule."

Average Battelle Ratings in the Past 3 Years

in Richmond, KY

"I've worked for Battelle for almost 2 years. It was a complete 180 from my last job. There was a lot of training and guidance on how to do the job effectively, though managers will not often give you a straight answer to any questions you ask. There is very little managerial supervision while doing shift work and you are allowed to make a lot decisions on a day to day basis."

IT Analyst Coordinator
in Columbus, OH

"Working for Battelle was a great experience. I base my assessment off of the 5-6 other organizations I've worked in; Battelle is by far one of the best company and this has been one of the best job I've have had in my career. The IT department is simply incredible with the creme of the crop talent. Management is great and the culture is positive and energetic. The mission of Battelle is unmatched. If you have the opportunity to work for Battelle, absolutely jump on the opportunity."

in Arlington, VA

"I was with Battelle for over 21 years. Always challenged and well compensated for my efforts. Not many opportunities to advance. The company is somewhat top-heavy. Also, Battelle is not an agile company. Old companies usually do things slower and more conservatively. Battelle is a perfect example of that. Great benefits. Better than most. Good work environment and the people are great."

QC Monitoring Inspector
in Stockton, UT

"I worked at Battelle for ten years. My location was remote from company headquarters and part of a specific contract. Although there were several hundred employees at the project site, there was minimal corporate presence for human resources and benefits during the majority of the project. Very little was done to retain employees from this project after it was completed. Otherwise, employees were treated fairly and compensated well."

QA Researcher
in Pueblo, CO

"Great company. Fantastic benefits. Highly recommend Battelle Memorial Institute."

Principal Research Scientist
in Columbus, OH

"I worked for Battelle for 13.35 years. The company was at the forefront in the modernizing of subsystems and applications for a variety of clients, in some cases, advancing the technology by 40 years. Other areas of research and development are in the physical sciences and data flow studies. There are about 2000 employees at the Columbus campus."

in Stockton, UT

"I have worked for Battelle for 10 years. It used to be a great place to work but recently cutbacks in benefits and stricter regulations have made it a stressful environment."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
Materials Engineer
in Idaho Falls, ID

"This is the worst company that I have worked for in almost 30 years of being in the nuclear materials industry. When they took over the contract from Argonne in 2005, it went from being able to do productive research, to being stalled in a bureaucracy that retarded productivity, creativity, safety and innovation. When these management changes caused safety issues that shut the facilities down and drove costs up to the point that major long time customers took there work elsewhere. Management blamed the employees and called them incompetent and negligent. Then they laid off or fired anyone that ever questioned their management."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Research Engineer
in Atlantic City, NJ

"I worked there for three years. It was great! I got to move around onto several different projects, learned a lot, and contributed a lot to the research. After 3 years I was laid off due to government cutbacks and I wanted to go back to school for my PhD anyway."

Researcher
in Arlington, VA

What do you like about working at Battelle?

"Technically interesting work, with a good deal of autonomy, but that is about it"

"Don't do it unless you have an in with upper management"

What don't you like about working at Battelle?

"Benefits being stripped, firings and layoffs creating an environment of fear"

"Stop intimidating the workforce with autocratic management, and get rid of Catalyst"

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Application Engineer
in Richland, WA

"Best job ever. The pay was the best and the people were awesome."

What do you like about working at Battelle?

"The people were very friendly, professional and helpful. It was the best job and the best paying job I ever had."

"Be prepared for an interview that lasts for several hours with different groups of people. In the IT group, I had to prepare a 30-minute PowerPoint presentation on a prior project."

What don't you like about working at Battelle?

"The fact that they do so much work for the government makes it painful when budgets contract and people get laid off."

"Maybe management should be pared down during layoffs also, not just the rank and file."