(based on 132 Safeway Review Ratings)
"Safeway was a great place to work with advancement opportunities available for those willing to work for them."
Posted 10 years ago in Scottsdale, AZ
eCommerce Specialist
in Danville, CA

"Safeway is committed to advancing diversity and inclusion by helping ensure that everyone — customers, employees, people in the neighborhoods in which they operate and business partners — are treated with Courtesy, Dignity, and Respect and have equal access to resources, products, and opportunities to succeed."

Liquor Manager
in Mountain View, CA

"Good company with good ethics. Helps organizations by donating and raising money quite often. All the management I have come across have been awesome so far"

Safeway (204)

4.4 Highest Rated in this Industry is Lactalis American Group (6)
2.8 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Vons (18)
in Pleasanton, CA

"It is a great company at the intersection of digital transformation, the transformation seems to also bring in a lot of challenges with it. One of the major issues for the transformation is a lack of clarity on what specific path to take."

in Tempe, AZ

"The employees in the Starbucks kiosk and throughout the store are all wonderful to work with. Supportive, fast-paced environment to work in and a great opportunity to serve customers visiting from all over the world!"

Average Safeway Ratings in the Past 4 Years

Assistant Produce Manager
in San Leandro, CA

"I worked at Safeway from the time I was 16, which is the employment date I shared, until 2016 and I'm sad to say that the company I had a lot of loyalty to and love for ceased to exist well before I finally made my exit. I worked my way up from being a bagger, all the way to being an assistant produce manager just before I left the company. Despite the assistant in that title, for all intents and purposes, I was the one running that department, as I was the one sent there specifically to fix the failing department. I was responsible for implementing the changes which ultimately resulted in turning the department around and creating an actual produce team, which had been absent before. The only reason I didn't officially take over the department is that I was a short-timer by that point, having enrolled to go back to school for my teaching credential. Despite Safeway's reputation for being a job that's flexible in scheduling around college courses, and willing to work with people while they are going to college (and are likely to end up leaving the company to do something else more closely related to their studies at some point following completion) this couldn't be further from the truth, at least in my own personal experience. They consistently failed to honor my scheduling requirements. When one schedule came out, it was on me to figure out a solution (which often resulted in me just working the shift at expense of studies). Also, despite my many years of service, once they knew I was leaving and they had no more leverage on me (because that is very much how they operate), they found ways to speed up my departure, a practice I saw happen with a consistency over the years that would suggest it was part of the company culture. Due to unfortunate circumstances beyond my control, I wasn't able to enroll in a credential program immediately after graduating, which when combined with their horrible scheduling practices resulted in many additional years."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Altamonte Springs, FL

"This company is like working 20 yrs ago, it is so backwards and no one from the CEO down to the clerks is on the same page. Everyone wants their vision to be THE vision. The sales manager over bakery has never worked in a bakery and is clearly overwhelmed. They run good people off and keep the crap. Run as fast as you can from Safeway. Everything is unorganized and all over the place."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Dover, DE

"I worked for Safeway for 10 years in various locations. Assistant Store Directors are scapegoats, Store Directors accept no responsibility or accountability for problems, yet take all the credit when things go well. The only concern this company has is money, employees are seen as expendable. Serious issues are swept under the rug in an effort to make it go away rather than take corrective action. Safeway is a follower, not a leader in the grocery business."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Night Stocker
in Yakima, WA

"This place is great to work at!"

in Pleasanton, CA

"Management and reality are not regular friends. Management and truth are completely un-acquitted."

Safeway Employee

"I love my job but I am wanting to get back to being a project manager. That's where I am most happy with. Safeway is a great company to work for and to grow with ."

in Pleasanton, CA

"Merger with Albertsons is an on-going blood bath with many layoffs. Stay away, don't join, leave if possible."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Upper Marlboro, MD

"Good place to work if you are in between jobs, or if you want to make a life out of working out of a grocery store. Nothing at all wrong with that but I just want more out of life personally."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Boulder, CO

"The worst place to work at."

in Tucson, AZ

"I have been at safeway for over six years. Please do yourself a favor and DONT LET YOURSELF OR ANYONE YOU LOVE GET STUCK HERE! Management thinks nothing of demeaning their workers for the sake of the customer. While the customer is the most important thing for a company like this, the company does not need to let their workers be verbally abused or treated like servants."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Safeway Employee

"It was great. I enjoyed working with this company as a non-union member."