(based on 30 Pier 1 Imports Review Ratings)
2.6
Sales Leader
in Yonkers, NY

"Pier 1 Imports was my first ever job and I managed to keep it for almost 4 years. After my first year and a half I was promoted to Sales Lead. At first I was at the Bronx location as an associate and I met the most amazing people. Then I moved to the Yonkers location where I was promoted. That was when I started to see the true colors of that company. We let thieves get away with everything! They overwork you for very low pay. The assistant store manager is a witch! She's always checking for your mistakes to try and get you in trouble, which was how I got fired. I was a Sales Leader who worked with the Associates. I saw how the Assistant Store Manager would treat them and I wanted to be different; apparently, she hated that! She worked so hard to get rid of people. Until she pointed out something I did wrong. Mind you it was something I wasn't aware of. The Regional Manager gave me no warning. After all those years of hard work I was fired for something I didn't even know was wrong! This company sucks! It is soooo not worth it! Don't work here! Especially in the Yonkers location. There is soo much drama. There are managers sleeping with associates, associates smoking weed, coming in high! But I get fired for a innocent mistake! No worries, I'm filing a complaint!"

in Allen Park, MI

"I started working at Pier 1 shortly after Easter of 2016, and remained there until November 2016. At first I was excited, I was looking forward to the discount and flexible scheduling. I started the interview and training with an incredibly optimistic outlook on the job. The training I had (mostly on the computer) made me believe it was an inclusive company. My experience working there was different. I agreed to the job on the premise I would be paid just above MI minimum wage and receive on average 12 hrs of work a week. I found this practice odd, it seemed like everyone there was balancing several jobs and stressed by it. Thoughts on Allen Park location: The store manager was a pleasant enough guy, he did work with my schedule but he gossiped a lot about employees, and it led to unhealthy division. The assistant manager was much more aggressive, she consistently made back handed comments and spoke poorly of those under her. She was prone to moods that could shape your workday completely. Their were stark contrasts in leadership styles between the managers, which led to confusion and petty snickering. Thoughts on company itself: Pier 1 asks a lot of their employees for little pay. Though my shift was usually only about 4 hours they had you process stock, straighten, clean, complete online orders, carry furniture to customers' cars, bag and wrap customers' goods, etc. They demanded a very pushy sales strategy. We were told to open as many cards as possible. We were praised heavily when we got a card. Employees were often hounded about store conversion and customers complained about the intensity of the sales associates and the overbearing presence they had in the store. I would say overall compensation and discounts were not enough to make Pier 1 attainable to its associates. The prices and quality were an iffy match and you were constantly harangued by management and staff members to open a personal charge with the company."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5

Pier 1 Imports (45)

4.2 Highest Rated in this Industry is MCI (506)
2.8 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Raymour & Flanigan Furniture and Mattress (29)
in Glendale, CA

"A company that is circling the drain? Or restructuring to stay relevant? I don't know. I know it is currently doing poorly financially. I also know, that with 20+ years experience in retail, customer service and sales, this company is retail for people with low self esteem. Don't think much of yourself? Work here. Want to work hard and be rewarded with raises and promotions? Don't work here. Your salary will be low-balled. Extra effort is discouraged. Busting your ass is not rewarded."

Pier 1 Imports Employee

"Overworked and underpaid. Workers are expected to do too much and are not appreciated at all for everything they do. Management shows no loyalty to or support of their employees. I worked there for years hoping it would get better but it gradually just got worse."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5

Average Pier 1 Imports Ratings in the Past 3 Years

2013 $2
in Fort Collins, CO

"I worked for Pier 1 for a while and it was a horrible place to work. While my coworkers were friendly enough, the upper management and my direct bosses were awful to work with. The only training they offered me was in front of a computer screen and when I was finally on the floor all they did was correct me. They were very demeaning and certainly did not prepare me for the work they expected. They push selling the credit card too much, and at a certain point all you're doing is annoying the customer, not encouraging them to come back. While I made money, it did not feel worth it with the environment that this company creates. I do NOT recommend working for Pier 1."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Associate
in Boston, MA

"I worked for Pier1 for a little over a year, and I'm surprised I made it that long! This place is not what it seems from the outside! The 'one of a kind' products they claim to have are flimsy and cheap with a hefty price tag. Pier1 makes it's employees bribe customers into signing up for their credit card! The managers change like the season. They will fire you for no reason at all! I live in an 'at will' state which means you can legally be fired for no reason at all! And they take advantage of that! If they think you're weird or don't fit into the clique at the store, they make it known! I've heard managers say that people don't get fired at Pier1 because we make it so miserable for them that they quit! And I quote that! At the end of the day, all I'm saying is I wouldn't shop here, and I certainly wouldn't recommend working here. To anyone!"

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in McKinney, TX

"This store has the worst store manager and assistant store manager. The store manager upsets the staff daily, sets unrealistic expectations, and displays poor customer service skills. The assistant manager avoids tending to her duties and shirks any extraneous tasks. Employee turnover is high and deflated morale is constant among the associates. Not a happy work site."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
in Wichita, KS

"I started working there for the seasonal position and then continued working there after the time came. I liked the atmosphere and most of the people that I worked with. However, I didn't like how they stressed selling Pier One Rewards cards, I know they are important but after awhile people get tired of hearing the same thing over and over and get irritated."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
in McAllen, TX

"I've worked at the company for a little over a year. I enjoy the environment and the items we sell, but I feel we need a bigger location to stock our inventory and we need to have someone work full time in the stockroom to make sure all items are processed and keep better records of what we have outside the display area."

in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

"Work/ job is fine. No problems IF your manager is good, knows how to treat and handle staff and PROPERLY resolve issues (without their ego getting in the way). While Pier 1 training videos/employee handbooks look really good, a REAL EXPERIENCE will be: If you're working in the I.E. in California, the District Manager is cold and does not greet or introduce herself to staff on duty. If she doesn't like a manager - watch out! Managers are on-edge and pass their ill mood onto staff. Condescending remarks are common."

in Southlake, TX

"I just started working. So far I do not know if I like it or not. I like all the smells and merchandise. It's just some of the ladies I work with they don't seem very nice."

Person You Work For 3.7 / 5 People You Work With 3.7 / 5 Work Setting 3.7 / 5
Support You Get 3.7 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.7 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.7 / 5
in Paramus, NJ

"An incredible learning process."

What do you like about working at Pier 1 Imports?

"I enjoyed how our customers loved our products. I mostly enjoyed aiding the customers in fulfilling their needs by suggesting items and building relationships with the customers."

"Tips I would offer is to have a strong positive attitude and self-ambition."

What don't you like about working at Pier 1 Imports?

"At times it could be difficult to train new associates without having a strong base of experienced associates to lead by example."

"My advice for management, including my position, would be to have a division of the responsibilities equally throughout the management team."

Salesperson
in Paoli, PA

"My work takes on a very high level of energy and customer interaction."

What do you like about working at Pier 1 Imports?

"A great sense of gratification from closing sales and customer relations."

"Ask for advancement within the company and other benefits that may be included."

What don't you like about working at Pier 1 Imports?

"There is no growth potential with the company in way of promotion or salary range."

"Create better career opportunity for top sales people such as myself and or others.This in turn would help with company growth."

Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Customer Service Manager
in Lodi, CA

"I started as a sales associate and worked my way up as a store manager,"

What do you like about working at Pier 1 Imports?

"We had great customers and the people I worked for and the product sold"

"its really about sales and meeting goals, so talk about your achievements"

What don't you like about working at Pier 1 Imports?

"no more room for advancement, but overall felt it was pretty great"

"none really, I think we all have different way of managing"

Sales Associate

"Low pay and minimum hours."

What do you like about working at Pier 1 Imports?

"It is a visually beautiful place and smells divine. Most of the people I work with are wonderful, friendly, and fun."

"Like with any interview smile and talk as naturally as you can. Relate how well you can communicate with customers and talk up your powers of pursation. The goals of signing up customers for credit cards are stressed as majorly important. Dress business casual! Do not bring your friend, mother, or boyfriend with you to fill out the aplication! It is unprofessional and your application will not be seriously considered!"

What don't you like about working at Pier 1 Imports?

"There is too much emphasis on monitary gains. That is to be expected, but there is no regard for the customers. Everyone is a faceless walking money bank and it is my job to squeeze out as much as I can:("

"Expensive hand crafted items should not fall apart easily! Focus needs to be placed on the actual quality of the products."