On average, employees at The Gap give their company a 3.7 rating out of 5.0 - which is 3% lower than the average rating for all companies on CareerBliss. The happiest The Gap employees are Customer Service Representatives submitting an average rating of 4.5 and Customer Service Associates with a rating of 4.1.

(based on 39 The Gap Review Ratings)
"I am very fond of the company and loved the short time I spent as a seasonal employee."
Posted 3 years ago in New York City, NY
in Toronto, ON

"1. Management is corrupt and don't care about their fellow employees. 2. Many of the supervisors that I have worked with are very rude and flat out disrespectful. 3. I face a lot of discrimination and racism because of my background and the colour of my skin. 4. HR doesn't work for the workers who are lifting 30-50 lbs a day for 8-10 hours a day, instead they are very supportive of their decisions and the supervisors as well. 5. There is no equality working here, but their is a lot of favoritism, so in order for someone to get some light/proper work load they have to inform on other employees to supervisor. 6. There is no proper rotation in the workplace, some people only do light job rotation all day, while others are being discriminated against, because of their body size/structure. 7. Supervisors will harass the workers about their productivity multiple times a day and stress them out (I have a lot of experience with this). 8. It's very difficult to balance your personal life and work, because their are sooooo many mandated days, so you only get 1 day per week to rest, enjoy friends, relatives and families. 9. You are required to learn all the different types of functions in the warehouse, yet we all get the same base pay. 10. When employees confide in a member of the HR department, everything goes back on the warehouse floor, to the supervisors and them to other workers. 11. I have never been to a work place that has so much gasp and it is so embraced and so normal to do this, many supervisors and many of the HR members feed on this type of negative workplace energy. 12. When HR, general manager and managers are tired of hearing complaints from the workers on the floor about supervisors, they just move them to any other department. There is no suspension, angry management classes, disciplinary action that is taken...etc. for supervisors to improve. 13. Workers do not have anyone to turn to for help at Gap, and calling Ministry of Labour won't help."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in Las Vegas, NV

"My experience was full of micromanagement from incompetent managers who lacked the ability to communicate with employees with respect. Every single day you will be hounded about convincing customers to submit their personal info (such as their SSN) to get credit cards. Yes, shocking for a retail store. During corporate visits, any employees who are not in management will not be acknowledged, you must run around to ensure customers do not approach management, although they can assist customers as well. There is little to no room for advancement, and employees are underpaid."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5

The Gap (110)

4.4 Highest Rated in this Industry is Louis Vuitton (9)
2.7 Lowest Rated in this Industry is LF Stores (8)
Consultant
in Springfield, PA

"Pros: - Beautiful building. - Everyone is very nice. Cons: - You silently stare in the eyes of a co-worker for 10 minutes every morning (this is not a joke). - No flexibility with work hours. - Required to attend 3 day long pep rallies, work weekends, and sales meetings after hours with no pay compensation. - Whether or not you are a consultant you must go through an extensive consultant training program. - Things move at a snails pace, everything requires the approval of a lot of different people. - You are forced to share your feelings and personal life, with a microphone, in front of 250 people. - Overbearing environment. - It feels like a bunch of kids are trying to act like adults and play office (doesn't feel like real work, you constantly do things and think "why are we doing this..." with the answer always being "it builds connectivity/affinity). - You do exercises and attend meetings more than you actually work. - You are encouraged to take on new roles and accountabilities and are not compensated other than a pat on the back. - People tell each other "I love you" way more than is comfortable (this started after my first month, very uncomfortable). - They want to enroll your friends and family into their programs, they never stop asking. - Starting pay is well below the average. - A lot of workers (at least half) are married/ family, there is a heavy bias because of this. - Zero tolerance for working remotely/ flex schedule (very "breakthrough"). I have not felt this uncomfortable since High School."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
Marketing Representative
in San Francisco, CA

"I worked for Gap Inc. from September, 2012, to December 2014. Gap offered a flexible work environment, such as working from home, and I found the top management very inspiring."

Average The Gap Ratings in the Past 2 Years

Product Manager
in San Francisco, CA

"Starts out good but there are constant changes which impact all levels of the company and how things are operated."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
The Gap Employee

"I've been with the Gap Inc. for 5 years. Awesome company to work for. Great benefits and perks!"

in Southlake, TX

"I've worked at gap for one year and I hate it, especially at the Southlake, TX location. 4 out of 5 managers are horrible and most of the sales associates are too! Nothing gets done, people call off all of the time, yet aren't reprimanded for it. The hiring and training tools for management need to be revamped or revised, especially when you have a college degree and you're passed up for a promotion by someone who doesn't and has less experience then you. It's really unbelievable!"

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5

in Frisco, TX

"I've only been working at Gap Inc for a month and I am very pleased because every job counts for new experience, I've never done sales associate before and it's a job where I have fun with the people I work with and making new friends on the sales floor with customers."

in San Francisco, CA

"Good company to work for."

Customer Service Manager
in San Rafael, CA

"Good company, great for workers!"

in Cincinnati, OH

"I've worked for The Gap for a short period of time, but it is very upbeat and a very easy place to work. It's perfect for a college student paying their way through school or a retiree. It's a fun company with a fun set of coworkers and employees."

Java Developer
in San Francisco, CA

"Productive and lot to learn."

Assistant Brand Manager
in Charleston, WV

"Didn't care about training, no support, & released private information."

What do you like about working at The Gap?

"The Gap offers a great discount that allows you to definitely continue to shop the brands under the Gap umbrella. The work hours were usually very reasonable and typical of the retail environment. Some of the associates were usually very nice and easy to talk to."

"The manager always appears to be fun and interested in you. Normally this would be great, but in many cases the manager just wants you as the labor, and has no interest in you otherwise. When going in stand your ground and for your beliefs. If you stand strong in the interview then you won't be pushed around if hired."

What don't you like about working at The Gap?

"The training was horrible. I was given one day of training with another brand manager, yet was unable to be trained by this person because I was thrown in to do company standard flow for new items that I wasn't quite ready to dive into. I had not seen any papers beforehand and was never taught how to submit payroll, close registers, open and close the store, and etc. It was a nightmare. The benefits offered by the company are also some of the worst offered from any company I've been offered them. The pricing was very high which was a turn off, and there was nobody to talk to or go over the information with me and very limited resources to read about outside of the horrible setup on the employee website. The staunch attitude of the management team and the way they acted showed me that the company didn't really care for me as a person, just as labor. The attitudes I was showcased to definitely showed off how unimportant the person is to the company outside of the paying customer. District managers and the store manager were very vocal about this attitude with assistants and associates."

"Help improve the training experience overall for new management and associates. Have more fun in the store. The Gap is a snotty environment to work in and it comes across through management that the store is more concerned about making money and getting credit cards than it is about having a good time, helping customers, and making the store a great shopping environment. I know in many cases I have seen teams concentrate on customer service, yet I still see the anxious abilities to badger and push customers away from the store with talks of credit cards and making $100+ purchases to the point customers begin shopping online more or come less frequently as they find a newer store who isn't as concerned with credit cards."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Sales Manager

What do you like about working at The Gap?

"I like that I can have a balanced life as a manager."

"Know your skills and what you can bring to the team. Figure out how to transfer your skills to the new team as soon as possible."

What don't you like about working at The Gap?

"I worked at the same retailer for 12 years and just went to Gap three months ago. I've felt a little lost, the onboarding was not good. I need more tools in my tool box to do the job well."

"Get more feed back from the store, let our feedback get us the right product on the floor."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5