(based on 32 FEMA Review Ratings)
in Washington, DC

"A very politically motivated workplace. The old boys network rules all, and innovation that allows for the job to be accomplished efficiently is stifled by bureaucracy. The money is OK, but expect to travel 95% of the time and be treated like a replaceable part by an underqualified supervisor."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Winchester, VA

"I learned many different skills to assist me in succeeding in my next project."

FEMA (58)

4.7 Highest Rated in this Industry is City of Santa Ana (6)
2.9 Lowest Rated in this Industry is City and County of Denver (6)
in Milford, MA

"Leadership was not the best. It seemed as though there wasn’t any organization and communication was poor. Overall, the job was ok, but I felt as though with better communication things would have gone much smoother"

in Washington, DC

"I have enjoyed my time with the Federal government."

Average FEMA Ratings in the Past 3 Years

Architect
in Ponce de Leon, FL

"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????"

QA Tester
in Raleigh, NC

"I have working almost 7 years as QA, worked different environment and platform, experience on manual and Automation testing. Tested web and clients base Application. I was given BRD and FRD document as a part of my job to go through all the document and try to understand and breakdown in Testing Artifacts like Test scenario,Test case, RTM. Also as a tester , involved different kind of testing like Functional, Regression,smoke, sanity, Backend, web services. Also update my status to the Team in daily basis to Standup meeting. And I am responsible to log the defect of expected out put is not match with my actual. And track the Defect. Also attained all the meeting like sprint planing sessions, retrospective."

Resource Administrator
in Denton, TX

"Yes, it is worth partnering with the outside and all the benefits."

Logistics Systems Manager
in Washington, DC

"Good place to work but very military oriented which is a downfall. I think FEMA is designed to transition folks from the military to a civilian position which reduces the amount of US citizens to get a job with them. Another downfall is being deployed 30 days at a time which is very hard with having a family and being gone all the time."

Logistics Manager

"This is a great place to work. They allow you to work a little as a few months a year if you would like.. the money is good and the people are wonderful. Would stay at this position if I was able to work more."

Finance Management Specialist
in Baton Rouge, LA

"I enjoyed my job and I learned alot about emergency management."

What do you like about working at FEMA?

"The experience of helping victims of natural and manmade disasters is very rewarding."

"Be yourself and be honest about your work experiences and work ethics."

What don't you like about working at FEMA?

"My supervisor was very unprofessional and therefore difficult to work for."

"Take classes on professionalism in the work place and learn how to treat and respect your employees."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
IT Specialist

What do you like about working at FEMA?

"Helping PeopleBeing ImportantTeaching OthersSpeaking to Large Groups"

"Have Thick Skin, a sense of humor, a little sarcasm, a genuine desire to help people."

What don't you like about working at FEMA?

"Too many people are given priority status. Not enough synergy."

"Get people to communicate more effectively. Not bring the newest technology into the company just because we can."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Project Specialist
in San Juan, TX

"A company who trained the personnel accordling to their activities and duties."

What do you like about working at FEMA?

"The help we provide to disaster areas and communities to restore infrastructure to pre-disaster conditon."

"Be flexible to changes during the restoration of the infrastructure to predisaster condition."

What don't you like about working at FEMA?

"The organization and coordination managing disasters leting personnel external to te agency to intervine in the decision making process.."

"Takemore control of the operation and do not let external characters intervine the agency decision making."

Network Manager

What do you like about working at FEMA?

"Amazing workforce, extremely diversed group of individuals coming from all walks of life, wishing to assist those devastated by disasters. Open door policy with all issues, and major emphasis on team building. Advancement is always encouraged and supported by supervisors."

"Only tip I would have is to be yourself. They have an extremely relaxed dress policy, code of conduct is fairly loose, though anything discriminatory is not accepted in any way shape or form. The most supportive group of people you will meet, with very few people worrying about the whole Climbing the ladder bit."

What don't you like about working at FEMA?

"The travel is a major issue with someone like myself; young father with a wife and 2 kids. I was deployed for 12 months out of the past 14 months."

"Nothing. Everyone is encouraged to voice their opinions to their direct supervisor, and it moves up the ladder. Chain of Command is utilized heavily in the Federal Government, and I feel that it works great. Management is always willing to accept feedback from all personnel, and are always willing to take initiative in satisfying all parties."

What do you like about working at FEMA?

"I am working in a position where I have no room for growth and no opportunity to implement my ideas and sugestions."

"Make the best of the experince. Share your thoughts and ideas with your team members and foster an environment of collaboration"

What don't you like about working at FEMA?

"I enjoy working with my customer. I love the challenge of helping them move into the cloud."

"We need more cohesion and organization. We also need standardized processes and procedures to ensure that employee tasks are redundant and repeatable."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Logistics Specialist

"rewarding, satisfying, fulfilling"

What do you like about working at FEMA?

"I enjoy the overall comradarie between managment and employees as well as the fulfillment received after helping someone."

"This question is not applicable. FEMA does not do interviews and hires strictly based on past work experience, often times sight unseen."

What don't you like about working at FEMA?

"I don't like how leadership has complete disregard at times to the overall costs that their decisions have on everyone."

"The organization needs to be ran more like a business vs. a charity organization"