(based on 63 Big Lots Review Ratings)
Order Picker
in Columbus, OH

"Good company to work for just not much pay"

in Clarksville, TN

"I've worked at Big lots since 4/2019. The tools provided to do your job require improvement as does their training in various positions."

Big Lots (95)

4.6 Highest Rated in this Industry is AutoAlert (11)
2.7 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Aaron Brothers (16)
in Roanoke Rapids, NC

"Big Lots has lost it's way. This year my store was remodeled as a part of their "store of the future" initiative. The remodel itself was a disaster as there were construction and fixture delays. I had a SOTF administrator and district manager giving pages of merchandising notes that conflicted. No one in corporate was on the same page and the training leading up to the remodel was minimal at best. Big Lots hides behind gimmick metrics like rewards cards, credit cards, and the ridiculous "Big Coverage" plan in furniture. Corporate claims these shoppers are more likely to return to the store if offered these services. Wrong! These metrics are in place because the company does not have enough faith in their products to let them speak for themselves. In fact, metrics are pushed harder than capital sales! Management is forced to micro manage employees who are not paid a living wage. It's a vicious cycle of turnover and zero job security."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Stocker
in East Brunswick, NJ

"Went to the one in east brunswivk nj a couple of weeks ago..the guy i had the interview with said him or his boss would get back to me that week..that was a big lie..they kept playing games with me..so do not work for these idiots..all they do is lie..and lead you on"

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5

Average Big Lots Ratings in the Past 4 Years

2013 $2
in Tucson, AZ

"I have worked here for almost a year and my store manager and other managers have also been so friendly and kind. They always try to help out as much as they can and are always so friendly. When I first started working all my coworkers were really friendly. Store 4272 has some of the most friendly employees. They all really help out when needed. When my grandma was in the hospital they were able to give me that day off to go and see her without any issues. I really enjoy working for this company"

in Lorain, OH

"The managers at this location are rude. They lie to new employees and to customers. It is also unfortunate that they only pay 9.50 an hour while they gross around 700 a week. They talk about the customers as they come into the store and simple manners are hard to find from them. There is a dress code but most of them do not adhere to it. The actual Manager doesn’t run the place the other 2 managers run it. I feel Big Lots needs to hire an undercover employee at each location and really see what happens. Plus they steal merchandise they put it in the trash and take it. Or mark it down and buy it cheaper than it really is."

in Torrance, CA

"Managers there aren’t so helpful when your new, they ignore you every time you need help with the register when you have no experience I mean that’s why they are there right!"

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Cheyenne, WY

"I work for the Big lots in Cheyenne Wyoming and I do NOT like how the FSL treats the employees, and nobody can say anything to store manager without getting into trouble. Some of the employees are nothing but lazy. Non of them recover anything when on the floor besides 6 of the employees. The store manager is a good store manager when the FLS isn't around. I also don't think it's fair the FSL and her husband get to work the same times on Mondays. ALL OF THE EMPLOYEES DO NOT WANT TO WORK IN FURNITURE WHEN THE FSL IS WORKING. the FSL has started so much drama and they even said something that was sexual harassment towards the store manager but we can't say anything because they will turn it all around. I was getting along with the store manager really good until the FSL went to out of town with the store manager and she caused a lot of problems. The other managers are super awesome and they will let us talk to them about anything. A lot of them have noticed how the store manager treats the FSL over the other employees and the store manager likes to lie to people's faces. It's not fair to the ones who bust their butts off but we are the ones who get treated like crap. Also, I don't think it's fair that the FSL lied to the store manager about one of the managers being mean to her (12-17-2017). She lied and told couple other people that she wasn't feeling good. The FSL makes the work place toxic and it's not fair to all of us to get treated like crap by the store manager all because the other people are too lazy to do their jobs."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Cashier
in Suffolk, VA

"Was OK at first, starting to get on my nerves, work you hard, paid only 8.00 an hour. People who do less and were hired after me are being paid more than me. Manager thinks it's OK to send us to other stores and do their work because their employees are too lazy, and I am tired of going to other stores and probably won't be going back. Managers expect you to treat customers OK, which is no problem for me but the managers treat customers like crap."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
in Middletown, OH

"The managers threaten their stock crew constantly. They would not work around scheduled times for associates. They constantly verbally abuse employees. The DTS Lead smells like pot and never does her job but yells at other employees and threatens to take away hours. If you call off for any reason they cut you down to no hours even if it was not avoidable on your part. Worst managed company. Even their store manager treats employees like crap and talks badly behind their backs."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
in Dover, NJ

"As a worker here, I am disappointed in many things. The workspace is fairly small and crowded. It is hard to move around. The store is a mess as well. I have found mouse traps placed throughout the store. There is not enough people in the floor as my backup; I would often have to ring up a whole line of customers by myself. I need to be able to have at least a backup or two to satisfy the customers in line. On my application, I asked to work about 20 hours a week. I've been getting only one day shifts, and it is four hours long. The managers give me attitude when I come in on Thursdays to pick up my check. Occasionally I see the managers and other co-workers giving customers attitude when they are purchasing furniture or household appliances."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Big Lots Employee

"This company cares little about its associates. We are treated like dirt and constantly threatened by management. I am tired of working nights in a dangerous neighborhood, doing 5 things at once and being under appreciated. The other day, I asked a vagrant to leave the store because she was acting erratically and upsetting my customers. She was not a customer, not making a purchase, just a loiterer. Before I asked her to leave, I made repeated calls for a manager, two of which were on duty. They did not come, did not even buzz me on the intercom. When they finally showed up, the woman demanded the corporate number and said she was going to call in a complaint about me. Later, when I was on break, the store manager came into the break room and subjected me to verbal abuse. I told him that she was in the company of two known shoplifters. "So what?" was his reply. I reminded him of the shrink wrap we all had recently signed off on and how the way her 2 companions bounced from aisle to aisle fit the profile. "So what?" again. He then said, "Who the hell are you? Who the hell are you? You're just a cashier." This shows that Big Lots does not care about its associates. I assure that I am not through. There will be news from me."

in Tampa, FL

"3:30 am shifts are destroying families of employees. Please Big Lots, if you have any human compassion, stop these shifts. This creates angry, tired and unproductive workers. The work being done could just as easily be completed on a more realistic schedule starting at around maybe 6 am, three hours before stores open. Even when stores open at 9 am there are not so many customers that work can't be completed safely. These unnecessary start times require a bedtime the evening before at around 7 pm. You try to get to sleep at 7 pm with a family. Have a heart Big Lots. I don't think you do."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in San Antonio, TX

"If you are looking for professionalism, opportunity for advancement or decent compensation then Big Lots is not the place for you. There is zero room for advancement. Actually, a more accurate description would be that you can "advance", however, since you are a current employee you can only be granted a maximum of 10% salary increase (even when transitioning from non-management to management). Do not expect this job to be a foot-in-the-door type job. Once your foot is in, your upward mobility has been tethered to whatever ridiculous salary with which you began. The absurdity of the salary is only surpassed by the amount of work expected for said "compensation"."

Customer Service Supervisor
in Capitol Heights, MD

"I been working at big lots since February 2014. The company cares about their employees."