On average, employees at Big Lots give their company a 3.3 rating out of 5.0 - which is 14% lower than the average rating for all companies on CareerBliss. The happiest Big Lots employees are Cashiers submitting an average rating of 3.6 and Assistant Managers also with a rating of 3.6.

(based on 38 Big Lots Review Ratings)
Cashier
in Suffolk, VA

"Was OK at first , starting to get on my nerves, work you hard paid only 8.00 an hour. People who do less and were hired after me are being paid more than me. Manager thinks it's OK to send us to other stores and do their work because their employees are too lazy and I am tired of going to other stores and probably won't be going back. Managers expect you to treat customers OK, which is no problem for me but the managers treat customers like crap."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
in Middletown, OH

"The managers threaten their stock crew constantly. They would not work around scheduled times for associates. They constantly verbally abuse employees. The DTS Lead smells like pot and never does her job but yells at other employees and threatens to take away hours. If you call off for any reason they cut you down to no hours even if it was not avoidable on your part. Worst managed company. Even their store manager treats employees like crap and talks badly behind their backs."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5

Big Lots (63)

4.8 Highest Rated in this Industry is AutoAlert (5)
2.5 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Premium Retail Services (12)
in Dover, NJ

"As a worker here, I am disappointed in many things. The workspace is fairly small and crowded. It is hard to move around. The store is a mess as well. I have found mouse traps placed throughout the store. There is not enough people in the floor as my backup; I would often have to ring up a whole line of customers by myself. I need to be able to have at least a backup or two to satisfy the customers in line. On my application, I asked to work about 20 hours a week. I've been getting only one day shifts, and it is four hours long. The managers give me attitude when I come in on Thursdays to pick up my check. Occasionally I see the managers and other co-workers giving customers attitude when they are purchasing furniture or household appliances."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Big Lots Employee

"This company cares little about its associates. We are treated like dirt and constantly threatened by management. I am tired of working nights in a dangerous neighborhood, doing 5 things at once and being under appreciated. The other day, I asked a vagrant to leave the store because she was acting erratically and upsetting my customers. She was not a customer, not making a purchase, just a loiterer. Before I asked her to leave, I made repeated calls for a manager, two of which were on duty. They did not come, did not even buzz me on the intercom. When they finally showed up, the woman demanded the corporate number and said she was going to call in a complaint about me. Later, when I was on break, the store manager came into the break room and subjected me to verbal abuse. I told him that she was in the company of two known shoplifters. "So what?" was his reply. I reminded him of the shrink wrap we all had recently signed off on and how the way her 2 companions bounced from aisle to aisle fit the profile. "So what?" again. He then said, "Who the hell are you? Who the hell are you? You're just a cashier." This shows that Big Lots does not care about its associates. I assure that I am not through. There will be news from me."

Average Big Lots Ratings in the Past 3 Years

2013 $2
in Tampa, FL

"3:30 am shifts are destroying families of employees. Please Big Lots, if you have any human compassion, stop these shifts. This creates angry, tired and unproductive workers. The work being done could just as easily be completed on a more realistic schedule starting at around maybe 6 am, three hours before stores open. Even when stores open at 9 am there are not so many customers that work can't be completed safely. These unnecessary start times require a bedtime the evening before at around 7 pm. You try to get to sleep at 7 pm with a family. Have a heart Big Lots. I don't think you do."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in San Antonio, TX

"If you are looking for professionalism, opportunity for advancement or decent compensation then Big Lots is not the place for you. There is zero room for advancement. Actually, a more accurate description would be that you can "advance", however, since you are a current employee you can only be granted a maximum of 10% salary increase (even when transitioning from non-management to management). Do not expect this job to be a foot-in-the-door type job. Once your foot is in, your upward mobility has been tethered to whatever ridiculous salary with which you began. The absurdity of the salary is only surpassed by the amount of work expected for said "compensation"."

Customer Service Supervisor
in Capitol Heights, MD

"I been working at big lots since February 2014. The company cares about their employees."

Assistant Manager
in Colorado Springs, CO

"I love where I work and the people I work with. Big Lots is an excellent company that puts the focus on their customers as well as their store employees, not those at the corporate level."

Big Lots Employee

"Most of this company's stores are run-down and dirty. Merchandise is always strewn on the floor. Not enough payroll to get work done. We are always running on a skeleton crew. Ads and signs are misleading and customers are usually confused, thinking they are to get a better deal than they really get. Communication is non-existent and we are treated like dogs, constantly threatened with being written up, terminated, etc. Terrible place to work! I am burned out, tired of doing the work of 3."

Manager

"Terrible. Not near enough payroll to get everything done."

What do you like about working at Big Lots?

"We have a good variety of merchandise, and we get a good discount."

"Realize when you are interviewing for a management position that when they tell you the truck gets done in 48 hours, it cannot. You also do not get enough hours to cover the register and the floor."

What don't you like about working at Big Lots?

"There are not enough hours to get all the work done."

"Get into the stores and see how long it takes to actually unload a truck and get it processed."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Floater
in Buffalo, NY

"Cashier Stock furniture recovery its a good experience for a first job"

What do you like about working at Big Lots?

"One thing I like about the company that I work for is the teamwork"

"A tip that I have for others interviewing with this company would be to be experienced"

What don't you like about working at Big Lots?

"One thing that I don't like about working at the company is that there is no set schedueles"

"A suggestion that I have for management is that the scheduele needs to be more organized"

Assistant Store Manager
in Garland, TX

What do you like about working at Big Lots?

"The store was very challanging and lots of work never a dull moment."

"Ask lots of questions and dress up for the interview"

What don't you like about working at Big Lots?

"Most of the associates spoke very little english somewhat of a communication barrier"

"The managers should give associates more responsibility so the management team doesnt have to work so hard"

Associate Manager
in Fargo, ND

What do you like about working at Big Lots?

"I get to work with people. Seeing people smile because you were able to help them is a huge plus."

"Negotiate for everything. Don't just take what they're offering. If you have good reason and can back it up, they can do it."

What don't you like about working at Big Lots?

"How little control I have. There is no grey area. If something is done different, it is wrong."

"Do more for associates. New associates don't have any sick or personnal time, or profit sharing and can only get 25 cents more than minimum wage."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Furniture Manager
in Redlands, CA

"Fun, interesting, knowledgeable"

What do you like about working at Big Lots?

"The constant interaction, and communicating with the customers and employees."

"Be on time, dress nice to the interview, and always be ready to work."

What don't you like about working at Big Lots?

"Such a great company, not much I can say bad about this place."

"I was part of management here, so I know it can be stressful at times, so my advice is just to take on one task at a time."

Store Manager
in Greenville, TX

"Was a great position in a not so great company"

What do you like about working at Big Lots?

"The freedom of the position to operate the store as I saw fit."

"I would recommend shopping the store and reviewing the history of the company (any company) before applying."

What don't you like about working at Big Lots?

"Limited product, low corporate support, poor product quality, dilapidated facilities"

"Most importantly, I would say to operate your store to the best you see fit regardless of the absent corporate presence and inconsistent policies"

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5