(based on 13 Volunteers of America Review Ratings)

"I have been at VOA for nearly a year now and I really couldn't be happier. I have only had one other job that compares in job satisfaction in all the years I have been working, 30+ ! My co-workers are helpful and my supervisor is great!"
Posted 5 years ago in Cocoa, FL
in New Orleans, LA

"It's a good non-profit organization to work for due to their mission alone but be weary of management and politics. I got along with everyone so it did not affect me at all. However, we had a lot of colleagues that quit their jobs."

in Milwaukee, WI

"Great place to work! Not for profit that believes in utilizing the margin/mission matrix to make sound business decisions."

Volunteers of America (22)

4.7 Highest Rated in this Industry is NFP (10)
1.9 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Kids II (6)
Project Advisor

"I've worked for VOA for a little less than 1 year. The on-boarding process took about a month, which was longer than I expected. I enjoy working for my team, however the company itself is very old school and micromanage teams outside of the corporate office. For example, my direct supervisor doesn't have permission to allow me to WFH. When the pandemic first started, they still wanted us to work from the office. I never receive emails directly from the CEO, even during the pandemic. All emails were sent to higher supervisors and instructed to distribute. During the BLM movement the company stated they couldn't take a political stance because of their donors. VOA serves A LOT of people of color and it was very unfortunate they felt BLM was a political issue."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Volunteers of America Employee

"Great mission but bad operations management from COO."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Mather, CA

"Volunteers of America is a company that stands on principle. The Founder’s motto was to “go wherever we are needed, and do whatever comes to hand.” That is exactly what the agency provide through services populations of the elderly, veterans, persons with disabilities, families, former foster youth, reentry, homeless, and many more. In the Northern California Northern Nevada affiliate there are over 51 social service programs and nationally has over 16,000 employees serving our most vulnerable populations. There are structure and flexibility. There are heart and healing for those who serve and those who are served. Staff and clients are not just numbers they are people and that is felt by the bottom up. It is team-based and effort driven. It is a work of ministry and service for whatever comes to hand wherever we go."

Job Developer
in Cocoa, FL

Administrative Assistant

"My experience with my first supervisor, Karen Castro was absolutely positive. I had the chance to be part of the internal audit team to prepare the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA) annual audit, since VOALA receives federal funding through its grants."

Direct Support Associate
in New Albany, IN

"Working with individuals who have behavioral, physcial and mental disabilities"

What do you like about working at Volunteers of America?

"my clients, my bosses flexibility, able to express ideas, mileage"

"know it takes hardwork working with a diverse population, be aware you will be working overtime, be a teamplayer"

What don't you like about working at Volunteers of America?

"there are limited future opportunities for advancement, healthcare benefits and fring benefits"

"listen to their employees more, schedules changes, switch employees around to get an variety of experience with clients"

Alumni Coordinator

What do you like about working at Volunteers of America?

"I like the flexibility of the job, and I appreciate the company's mission and dedication to serving others."

"If you are a college graduate, it's pretty easy to get a job at Volunteers of America. Just talk about its values and missions and how they make you want to work there."

What don't you like about working at Volunteers of America?

"I work in a windowless office right by a cemetery. I have little to no social interaction every day. I speak to my boss primarily through e-mail and she only responds to things she wants to respond to. Everyone in the office is BORED OUT OF THEIR MINDS. I'm able to get away with way too many things at work (watching TV, going on Facebook, going in late every day) and no one is there to keep me accountable. My boss can't even keep herself accountable and sometimes misses meetings when she says she will be there. She's kindof a dud. Ok, she's really a dud. The company has such a high-turnover rate, as does my position in particular. I don't feel that my job is of any value at all."

"I would make sure my employees felt valued and appreciated. I would address all questions and issues and would be receptive to constructive criticism."

Director of Fundraising Development
People You Work With 3.5 / 5 Work Setting 3.9 / 5 Support You Get 2.6 / 5
Rewards You Receive 2.9 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5 Company Culture 3 / 5
Way You Work 3.8 / 5
CFO
Person You Work For 3.7 / 5 People You Work With 3.5 / 5 Work Setting 2.1 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2.5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2.2 / 5
Volunteers of America Employee

"The work I did here was rewarding. We helped a lot of people."

Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2.9 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2.3 / 5
Company Culture 2 / 5 Way You Work 3.8 / 5
Respite Counselor
in Alexandria, LA

"This was an ideal job."

Person You Work For 4.9 / 5 People You Work With 4.8 / 5 Work Setting 4.9 / 5
Support You Get 4.8 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4.9 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4.8 / 5
Regional Director

"Don't. But, believe that it will be short-lived and ask for lots of money up front."

What don't you like about working at Volunteers of America?

"CEO level management, coming from corporate in DC; no consistency, ad hoc rules and policies, income for programs doesn't go to programs."

Web Administrator
in Tampa, FL

"Don't underestimate the power of volunteering"

What do you like about working at Volunteers of America?

"So many great opportunities for innovation."

"Look at the glass half full."

"Not getting paid."

"Recruiting volunteers to do career-level type of work is a great idea for a non-profit organization. It open doors for new opportunities. Keep up the good work."