- 40% discount on entire catalog
- As many free, cheap, off-season mostly broken or defective Chinese toys and party supplies as you can haul away
- The hiring managers will lie to you about for what work you are being hired (happened to me).
- The data center is a mess of cables, haphazardly placed cabinets, and undersized, unsupported hardware. (If I saw this during my interview, I would not have accepted the job.)
- The entire IT department is poorly organized and badly mismanaged. This was a catalog company that just decided one day to get on the Internet and it shows. There is no rhyme or reason for how work is done. The change management process is chaos, there is no method (Agile or otherwise) for how their software is developed and implemented, there is a lot of technical debt and no emphasis on or even interest in changing that. In other words, stuff breaks all. The. Time.
- Managers frequently argue (and I mean *argue*) with their subordinates about their opinions, knowledge and experience when you try to use it to improve the environment (do not think this is a "fixer upper" company by any means). This is as close to the legal definition of a hostile workplace as you can get without literally discriminating against a person's sex, race or whatnot. You *will not* be treated with respect here.
- The employee discount is really a con because the stuff in the catalog/website sucks. Honestly. They gave me a $25 merchant credit and, after searching the whole place, all I got was Easter candy.
- You will be brought in to the department and left to fend for yourself as far as learning the environment and the corporate policies on time keeping, sick time, expense reimbursement, etc.
- I could add more, but this is no place for an experienced IT professional to go. I started thinking I had made a mistake a week after I started and, after just a few months, I'm sure of it now. I am currently looking for alternate employment.
Oriental Trading Company is a direct merchant of value-priced party supplies,
arts and crafts, toys and novelties and school supplies.
It has around 40000 unique products and has been recognized as one of the top 100 Internet retailers and one of the top 50 catalog companies. Oriental Trading Company has a very Fun Environment with a lot of scope to perform analytics on its Product data.I worked as an advanced analytics intern for marketing forecasting team. At times, when I got stuck with an issue the team was very supportive and showed a different analytical thinking perspective. There are strict deadlines but I am allowed to think and apply different approaches to the problem. Overall, Oriental Trading has a Friendly environment, Healthy Supervision and Huge scope to learn. It exactly aligns with my personal and professional values.
I think they did a wonderful job as we ALL see the result that OTC is getting better every year and in November Warren Buffet bought our company.