Career Menu

78 Electrical Design Engineer Reviews

Electrical Design Engineers give their job an average rating of 3.9 out of 5.0. The Electrical Design Engineers happiest with their jobs are employed by Cypress Semiconductor with an average rating of 0.0 while the Electrical Design Engineers least happy with their jobs work for Space Systems/Loral with an average rating of 1.6.

Submit a Review
Electrical Design Engineer at Renaissance Construction
in Moscow, ID

"It is a very creative and interesting sphere. I can realize a lot of my decisions."

Electrical Design Engineer at Jacobs
in Pasadena, TX
Electrical Design Engineer at Boeing
in Huntsville, AL

"Mentally stimulating. I am challenged every day and it's also rewarding and interesting."

Electrical Design Engineer at Jacobs
in Parkersburg, WV

"I love to get projects completed, but the stress is sometimes difficult."

Electrical Design Engineer at Bergstrom
in Rockford, IL

"I have been working as an electrical harness design engineer for more then 2 years. I love everything that I do as an electrical harness design engineer."

Electrical Design Engineer at EMTEQ
in New Berlin, WI

"I love to be involved in the design phase of the projects but I also like to establish good guidelines and procedures in the beginning so the project doesn't get frustrating after a while."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Electrical Design Engineer at Abiotic Technologies
in Temple City, CA

"I went to college to learn the solid state nature of electronic components, and to learn about power supply development; I am able to implement my passions with this job."

Person You Work For 3.7 / 5 People You Work With 3.7 / 5 Work Setting 3.7 / 5
Support You Get 3.7 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.7 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.7 / 5
Electrical Design Engineer at Advanced UV
in Cerritos, CA

Please give us a one liner to describe this review.

"great experience for creating new tools and manufacturing pocesses."

What do you like about working at Advanced UV?

"Designing of new products and tools for the manufacturing process"

"Be quite and let them speak. Answer when asked to answer."

What don't you like about working at Advanced UV?

"Very unstructured and rules were never followed to create a smooth flow of work"

"Don't use fowl language. Don't bypass the workprocess flow structure"

Electrical Design Engineer at URS
in Chattanooga, TN

What do you like about working at URS?

"They treat you great and great selection of people! The recurters are awesome too."

"yes, when interviewing be sure to have all your experience covered when asked."

What don't you like about working at URS?

"vacation time and sick time. otherwise great great great great."

"nothing, I think the management is doing a great job."

Electrical Design Engineer at Space Systems/Loral
in Palo Alto, CA

Please give us a one liner to describe this review.

"I just couldn't tolerate the unethical, political, and negative job environment."

What do you like about working at Space Systems/Loral?

"*You get to work with some interesting satellite hardware and technology.*The compensation and benefits are decent, and engineering salaries are on par with the average numbers for the industry.*They have 401k matching that you can collect only if you stay with the company for five years.*There is a tuition assistance program that allows you to take classes or pursue an advanced degree while working."

"I would strongly suggest that you keep all the positive reviews of this company in perspective. I hate to say it, but many (but not all) of the employees working at Loral are just average in terms of talent and motivation and are simply happy to have a job. It's not the most intellectually stimulating work environment by any stretch of the imagination. I frequently noticed that most employees were extremely passive and simply did as they were told just to maintain their weekly paycheck. Many employees were completely unwilling to complain about relevant issues or to speak out against unfair company policies and practices simply to keep their jobs secure. Most of the young employees in my group left within a short period of time because they were looking for a more fulfilling job. Management maintains a work environment revolving around fear, mistrust, finger-pointing and discipline rather than positivity and accountability. However, Loral does have potential as an innovative technical company. One would hope that their work environment changes in the future so that they can attract more talented engineers and turn the direction of their company around. If you can be a part of that change, more power to you."

What don't you like about working at Space Systems/Loral?

"*The company culture is absolutely terrible, and no amount of monetary compensation or perks could make up for the horrendous work environment.*There is too much micromanagement; you will most likely have a bad manager who has poor leadership and managerial skills and often behaves like a control freak.*Loral cares nothing about ethical standards; the company often promotes workplace abuse, harassment, and psychological intimidation in order to keep employees in check.*On several occasions, I complained to higher management about a vicious, abusive manager, yet my complaints fell on deaf ears. Higher management kept telling me that You can't choose your manager.*Employees are not treated on an equal level; management consistently tries to shove its power and authority down subordinates' throats just to show them who is the boss, creating an endless cycle of mistrust and finger-pointing.*Managers often behave like secret police just to track and monitor employees, and to be ready to discipline you in case you showed up to work a little late or were briefly checking your email on your work computer.*The lack of ethical standards at Loral translates into the engineering work itself. For example, sometimes employees are instructed to lie or give misleading information on non-conformance reports just to pass potentially faulty hardware through. Loral will stop at nothing to save every penny that it can and pass every piece of flight hardware through its testing process.*There is a significant amount of dishonesty exhibited by the managers. For example, I once sat in a staff meeting where we were discussing a new piece of hardware that we were developing for R&D. A senior engineer informed us that a foreign space agency had already built, tested, and flown that product into space. However, the manager sitting at the table blatantly lied to us and told us that no such thing has happened, just to prevent employees from losing morale. Do you think it makes sense if Samsung lies to its Galaxy smartphone engineers and says that No, no, Apple hasn't come up with an iPhone 5 yet, it's not true Go figure.*This dishonesty is extremely prevalent, even during the hiring process. Several young engineers in my group were hired on the premise of a design position, yet were basically forced to be grunt workers doing a pathetic manufacturing support job.*The company environment is just too political. You will waste half of your time finger-pointing and playing the blame game, as well as avoiding the wrath of vicious and abusive managers.*There is virtually no design or innovation here, making it difficult to truly work in the engineering field that you wanted to. As an engineer, most of your time will be spent doing production/manufacturing grunt work, such as data review, supervising test engineers on the production floor, writing tedious and repetitive non-conformance reports, etc. The company simply doesn't have the money to hire dedicated production engineers, so other engineers are forced to do this work most of the time. *Additionally, there is simply too much paranoia over flight qualification and test procedures, and not enough knowledge of how to innovate or create value out of something new.*Moreover, there is almost no flexibility in work hours. The company is just too nit-picky over your work hours and will often discipline you for tardiness even though you may still be efficiently getting your work done. They are just too old-school and do not understand the nature of a flexible and results-oriented work environment that other companies exhibit.*Work days are oftentimes boring because the company just fails to generate good business and consistently win satellite contracts. Many employees waste time and try to work on their own schedules because there just isn't that much work to do. When there is work, it's really not that interesting or challenging at all.*Much of the company is in shabby condition. Very little money is spent to improve common things like the bathrooms, water fountains, etc. Even the IT infrastructure consists of old, slow and inefficient software tools to manage data. Important test data for satellite hardware is stored in binders that you need to personally go and dig up as if you're fetching something from your garage."

"Please try to change your company culture to fit with a more positive work environment. It will help you retain talented employees rather than hiring one- or two-year rentals.Additionally, try to create a more flexible work schedule for employees. Stop living in the '60s and bring yourself back to the reality of modern silicon valley. Just because some baby boomers and other people of older generations worked endless hours per day and had no lives outside of work, doesn't mean it has to be that way now. We have new technology today that makes certain tasks quicker and more efficient than they were 20 or 30 years ago. What you fail to realize is, if there is enough work to do, then the work hours will take care of themselves. If you are winning enough satellite contracts, then people will work their hours and maybe even some overtime hours. You don't need to monitor and scrutinize employees just for opportunities to discipline. If the work is getting done, then DON'T nitpick. If the work isn't getting done, hold an employee accountable and make them understand the negative impact they are having on the organization, but in a positive manner. Using discipline and negative methods like performance improvement plans are just pathetic tools used to target and alienate certain employees. Cut out the micromanaging nonsense and give employees more leeway to think creatively and work on their projects independently without creepy managers breathing down their neck all the time.Also, you should try to support more innovation so that employees have variety in their work. Your company has no idea of how to innovate or create new products; you just rely on the low-risk, low-reward method of recycling old hardware. Eventually, this will stop paying off and you will need to create something new. Otherwise, if this is the path you choose, then don't hire engineers for design positions. When the focal point of a job is simply production/manufacturing grunt work, then I'm afraid it's just NOT a design job. Make it known during the interview exactly what you are looking for, instead of hiring employees with a deceptive premise and giving them a surprise afterwards.Also, I would suggest trying to improve the general company infrastructure. This includes, but is not limited to IT, common break room provisions, and engineering test data. It seems like everything could use a bit of renovation."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Electrical Design Engineer at Samsung
in Berkeley, CA

What do you like about working at Samsung?

"I like research, development, discussion, making relationships, study, community, playing, creation, and design."

"We have to choose a position that we can do."

What don't you like about working at Samsung?

"I dislike arguments, overtime, ignoring, prohibition, not caring about people, and being demanding."

"I would suggest understanding, speed, discussion, communication, process, tools, protocol, work flow, and systems."

Electrical Design Engineer at Fluitec
in Jersey City, NJ

What do you like about working at Fluitec?

"Challenging, exciting. Freedom to provide input and suggestions. Great people to work with."

"Do your best. Don't be afraid to present yourself to them."

What don't you like about working at Fluitec?

"Growing pains as with any new company, getting started, it is difficult."

"Be clear on what is expected of the employees. Assign tasks within the experience of the employee or provide training for tasks which employee has no experience."

Electrical Design Engineer at ZITA TECH
in Greece, NY

What do you like about working at ZITA TECH?

"Many of the studies that I had to do were very challenging,the work environment that my colleagues and me have created was excellent"

"Be strong dealer, have a car and have good knowledge of AutoCad"

What don't you like about working at ZITA TECH?

"There was no carreer progression, and there was no opportunities given to us."

"Leave the young people learn and work more.They have many things to offer."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Electrical Design Engineer at APEX Systems
in Lexington, MA

What do you like about working at APEX Systems?

"It is has a great work environment with many talented and focused people."

"I would tell them that this is a great place to work and to let their interviews know how there skills will benefit the company."

What don't you like about working at APEX Systems?

"There really isn't anything I don't like about the company."

"Keep up the great visionary bases to grow in the future."

Electrical Design Engineer at Cole Instrument
in Santa Ana, CA

What do you like about working at Cole Instrument?

"Design and getting parts from vendor and troubleshooting the problem"

"I am on h1b visa. So I require H1b visa transfer. I just started green card processing with this company."

What don't you like about working at Cole Instrument?

"Everything is okay. No major problem. I am looking to change because I am looking for better job."

"Encourage team members periodically by using kind words and taking many meetings"

Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
You can cancel email alerts at any time.
Got it! Your job alert was created
Jobs You Might Like