Colonial Life Employee Job Reviews in the United States

Browse Colonial Life Reviews by Job Title →

(based on 21 Colonial Life Review Ratings)

Colonial Life Employee

"I’ve been with Colonial Life since 2014. I absolutely relish the value we deliver to the American worker, the culture, and emphasis on the pursuit of continuous improvement. I would gladly recommend Colonial Life to anyone who has a drive to be the best and a passion for serving their community."

Agency Development Manager

"Colonial Life is a great place to start. There are great resources available and a great opportunity to be your own boss without being fully on your own. However, due to that, you are commission only and working very hard without knowing if you’ll be paid can be frustrating."

Customer Service Representative

"I started my insurance career with another company doing property and casualty, but was not at all happy with the lack of support or communication. Was hesitant to continue in that field, but have found that Colonial is a fantastic company to work for. Not only do they offer valuable products to protect peoples' livelihoods plus great customer service, but they also are extremely supportive of their agents."

Person You Work For 3.3 / 5 People You Work With 3.3 / 5 Work Setting 3.3 / 5
Support You Get 3.3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.3 / 5
Account Sales Representative
Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Support You Get 3.9 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2.9 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Colonial Life Employee

"Most of the people are good to work with. However the overall leadership is weak."

Colonial Life Employee

"Was not ready for a commission only position, I do not recommend this for anyone who has just graduated college."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Business Analyst

"Pretty cool!!"

What do you like about working at Colonial Life?

"Well I'm no longer employed with Colonial Insurance as that company is now closed. However the one thing I liked about working there when I did was the team of people I worked with. It was like a family."

"Be yourself you can never go wrong!"

What don't you like about working at Colonial Life?

"I guess if I had to pick one thing about what I didn't like about working there it was the travel because at the time I had small children."

"Be more flexible when it came to handling sick time with my children. Although that is no longer an issue as my children are grown adults now."

Agent

"If your not good friends with the higher executives, you don't have much of a chance."

"Product"

"Make this a secondary company."

"Unethical"

"A lot"

Group Manager

"Being a 1099 employee is a challenge - but great if you have a LOT of initiative"

"Be aware of your costs"

What don't you like about working at Colonial Life?

"100% commission -cold calling"

Senior Sales Representative

"Solid, Stable Company"

What do you like about working at Colonial Life?

"Independent aspect, good system, clear underwriting"

"If still in business, I would suggest professionalism and stressing of work history."

What don't you like about working at Colonial Life?

"Promotional opportunities tended to be based on personal relationships rather than merit and experience."

"Although no longer in business, a more objective policy would have been appropriate."

Telesales Representative

What do you like about working at Colonial Life?

"I liked helping people get the right insurance plan for their needs and income."

What don't you like about working at Colonial Life?

"The hours were cut back resulting in less salary."

Agent

"These are the facts!"

"Products ONLY!"

"Change your original contract from the beginning. If you decide to work with brokers, make sure they are in your name and not your District Managers. Managers can take your broker from you as well and give it to another territory. Everything you work for is not yours unless you design your own contract to make sure of this. If you open an account (Direct) without a broker, make sure in the contract Colonial cannot take it from you but split the commission with the broker (70/30) so the broker doesn't kick you out all together. If the broker complains to management, they will take it from you in a heart beat without discussion and give it to their friend, even when all the paperwork is signed. Sounds illegal to me"

What don't you like about working at Colonial Life?

"Management needs to change all the way up to the Territory Manager. They will steal from you if your not part of their family of friends. Aflac has done this too."

"Make it an even playing field. Quit taking accounts from others who earned it."

Help Desk Analyst

"They don't pay well unless you're an agent."

"I like helping people."

What don't you like about working at Colonial Life?

"Lack of upward mobility."

"Pay better and have better equipment."

Account Executive

"The compensation is 100 per cent commission"

"The flexible schedule"

"Total Commission"

"A blend of base and commission in compensation"

Customer Service Representative

"The company was just Colonial Penn (home & auto) till General Electric purchased it."

What do you like about working at Colonial Life?

"Colonial Penn mandated full training before putting us in front of clients and then had a mentor program in place till we were familiar with the products and systems."

What don't you like about working at Colonial Life?

"General Electric purchased the company and closed the office thereafter."

Colonial Life Reviews FAQs

Is Colonial Life a good company to work for?

Colonial Life has an overall rating of 4.1 Average Rating out of 5, based on over 21 Colonial Life Review Ratings left anonymously by Colonial Life employees, which is 5% higher than the average rating for all companies on CareerBliss. 95% of employees would recommend working at Colonial Life.

Does Colonial Life pay their employees well?

Colonial Life employees earn $50,000 annually on average, or $24 per hour, which is 24% lower than the national salary average of $66,000 per year. 10 Colonial Life employees have shared their salaries on CareerBliss. Find Colonial Life Salaries by Job Title.

How satisfied are employees working at Colonial Life?

95% of employees would recommend working at Colonial Life with the overall rating of 4.1 out of 5. Employees also rated Colonial Life 4.2 out of 5 for Company Culture, 3.5 for Rewards You Receive, 3.8 for Growth Opportunities and 3.8 for support you get.

What is the highest paying job at Colonial Life?

According to our data, the highest paying job at Colonial Life is a Senior Software Consultant at $152,000 annually. Browse Colonial Life Salaries by Job Profile.

What is the lowest paying job at Colonial Life?

According to our data, the lowest paying job at Colonial Life is a Receptionist at $19,000 annually. Browse Colonial Life Salaries by Job Profile.

What are the pros and cons of working at Colonial Life?

According to reviews on CareerBliss, employees commonly rated the pros of working at Colonial Life to be Company Culture, Growth Opportunities, People You Work With and Person You Work For, and no cons.