30 Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Browse Brookdale Senior Living Reviews by Job Title →
2.6
(based on 27 Brookdale Senior Living Review Ratings)
2.4
2.1
2.4
2.1
2.5
in Palm Coast, FL

"I would not recommend anyone work for or bring their loved ones to this facility. Unorganized. Office staff is not all that nice as they appear to be. When you go to apply they make it seem like the place is heaven. Was with this company for only a few days and wanted to quit on day 1. They schedule you to work the days when no one else wants to work. They have the RA'S answering phones which is fine, but "those in the office need to get outside calls until certain hours", huh?? They have the RA'S doing the dishes. "Hire a dishwasher or have the kitchen crew cleanup?" Wow! No housekeeping. The rooms STINK. One shift doesn't clean up, they leave it for the next shift. They talk about each other constantly. One person has assigned room numbers, so that one person disappears for hours. There is no teamwork AND omg! THE PAY SUCKS!!! All in one building. Assisted Living, Memory Care, Nursing Homes, Care Homes in Independent Living, Respite Care. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!"

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Sarasota, FL

"A terrible place to work... management does not care about the staff, all they care about is filling their pockets. Big turnover, because staff is sick of it. The aides have to dress people, bathe, wipe butts, transfer, housekeeping, serve food all for 10$ an hour. There's usually one aide for 40 residents. And 50% of them are not assisted living material. We have residents who are 2 person assist and who can't do anything on their own. Staff are no call, no show and nothing is done about it. Our Christmas bonus was $14.10 Walmart card, well the management got thousands of dollars. We have been kicked, punched, scratched, bit, spit on. I recommend people not to work there."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5

2.6
Brookdale Senior Living (30)

4.0 Highest Rated in this Industry is Ogilvy CommonHealth (9)
2.6 Lowest Rated in this Industry is A Place For Mom (10)
3.2 Average of All Companies in this Industry (439)
in Olympia, WA

"I worked for Brookdale for just 3 years. In this short time period I watched "the building" fall apart physically and emotionally. If any company can ruin a good thing, it's Brookdale! I am not disgruntled, PO'd or anything close to it. I had secured other employment before giving my notice as I knew Brookdale would be the wimpy, tactless employer they have proven to be. Keep your loved ones away! Don't put them in any facility that is Brookdale. They will destroy your loved one by taking their money and providing nothing that can't be managed better somewhere else. Choose a smaller family owned Assisted Living."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in Puyallup, WA

"I have worked at the Courtyard for over 5 years. I stay for the residents, that's the only reason I am still there. The pay is horrible. No incentives at all. Even the residents talk about how horrible the company is. We are so short staffed our med techs on day shift take turns working doubles every day. We have no RCD, no full time day nurse and the care staff is so short that sometimes there's only 1 caregiver for 3 floors. We never have all the supplies we need. We have to watch our overtime they tell us, but we have to work extra or who's gonna do all the work."

Average Brookdale Senior Living Ratings in the Past 3 Years

2012 $2
2013 $2
in San Antonio, TX

"I had been employed since 1999 and was fired in 2014. I had never had anything negative in my personnel file. I had so many thank you cards sent to me and to corporate, along with many emails. Because two caregivers who knew their positions were on the line as not providing care they should have been, they made up lies about me to get heat off them. I honestly thought after it was reviewed that it would have been dropped, but no - I was asked to leave. It was so very hurtful, as I put in more hours and always put the residents first. Once Emeritus was purchased by Brookdale things immediately started going downhill, as we still have so many boxes to relocate. When you have given your all for 16 years and supported everything the company put it out there no reprimand in my file I got terminated. I realize I did handle things wrong, but again, had no chance to even discuss that. I would just appreciate this getting checked out. Brookdale will always be a family. Just sad that management takes word from front line staff and never let me even explain what occurred. Brookdale had a great ED support in that area and now all but one had left which should I know my residents were happy, calling me to ask how we are going to do that. Family members still call me asking who to contact about issues as nothing being done at community level. Breaks my heart as I had happy, healthy residents. Resident and family members say that Brookdale purchased Emeritus but seems went other way as Brookdale adopting Emeritus policy instead of other way. Last got all new regional bosses who knew none of us but fired management anyway. At this time no ED are even still at the properties in San Antonio area."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
in Naples, FL

"I started at Brookdale with high hopes of having a long and progressive career with this organization. I had over 15 years of management and customer service experience, and I was excited about being a part of the Brookdale family. Unfortunately, it did not take long to realize that the Exec Director's insecurities and instability made for a very negative work environment. In my 15 years of working in the corporate world, I had never encountered a manager who was such a poor leader. The employees did not respect her, and it was common knowledge that she was very vindictive. If an employee called off because they were sick, she would purposely cut their hours the following pay period, as retaliation. The morale was so low in the community that it was very difficult to keep good employees and department heads. During the first half of 2015, five department heads quit. That was a pretty good indication that something was wrong. It amazed me that neither the corporate office nor the regional operations director investigated why there was such a high turnover. In addition, positions were cut in order to increase profits (and the ED's bonus). This resulted in not having enough staff to take proper care of the residents. Because of this, there were daily/weekly occurrences of residents falling and residents having to wait for over a half hour when they pulled their call alarm."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Dayton, OH

"I have been working for this company over 3 years now and I love the residents but the company does not follow seniority as they say they do. I have an illness so they were good working with me on that, but I wonder if they just keep me around because they really care or legal reason. People are getting hired in doing the same thing I do at Brookdale Kettering making between $11 and $13 an hour and I haven't even made it to $9 as long ass I have been here. I was told in my review at the beginning of the year I was up to $9.19 but when I got my check with my raise it went from $8.28 to $8.49 hourly. I feel it's not even worth the drive anymore. When I can work I work just as hard or harder than everyone else. But what can you do when they smile in your face and act like they want you around but show no appreciation from your employer. The residents are always appreciative so that makes me happy, but the people I work for make me feel like I'm just the help and don't care I do not make enough to survive as long as they are."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Glendale, AZ

"I've only worked for this company a few months, while they were great when I broke my foot, giving me the time off that I needed, they aren't very good to work for. They're cutting hours, and hiring people that aren't skilled, at a much lower wage. For overnight associates, they have to take an hour break, and have had their days cut to 4 days a week, so all the full time employees that work overnights aren't getting their full time hours."

in Albuquerque, NM

"Pay is very poor for work load and responsibilities. Also a risky environment for your health."

Brookdale Senior Living Employee

"Brookdale senior living is by far the best company I've ever worked for!!!"

in Cincinnati, OH

"Unfortunately, the residents suffer due to poor staffing, poor scheduling, poor management, poor training. Makes for an oppressive environment on a daily basis. Census is more important than resident satisfaction."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Server
in Overland Park, KS

"I have only recently started working for Brookdale place, but it has been a very good experience for me. They are willing to work with their employees on any family or medical situations. I honestly couldn't ask for a better employer to work for to get back on my feet after the military."

Director of Sales and Marketing

"I worked for Brookdale Senior Living for two and a half years. They are committed to providing quality care to the seniors they serve. In regard to treatment of employees, there are areas in which the company can improve. Brookdale would be an ideal employer if they developed existing talent and promoted well deserving associates. Current mid-level management has changed the corporate culture which makes the company less desirable."

Helper

"I would never recommend anyone to work here or to put family here."

What do you like about working at Brookdale Senior Living?

"I liked the residents and some of the people I worked with."

"If you are looking to be overworked and underpaid, go for it. If you care about the elderly and love working with them don't work here. They only care about money, not you or the residents!! Sad but true."

What don't you like about working at Brookdale Senior Living?

"I didn't like the rude co-workers, over-working people, and crappy pay. Management is not all that good either. The company only cares about money."

"You all need to look at these reviews and take some notes. This has been going on for too long."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
Nurse
in Largo, FL

What do you like about working at Brookdale Senior Living?

"We are all like family. That would be residents and team members. For the most part, our goals are ALL to improve the quality of life and care of our residents."

What don't you like about working at Brookdale Senior Living?

"Usually, it is situational. We have a GREAT company and a great team!"

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5