43 Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Browse Brookdale Senior Living Reviews by Job Title →
2.6
(based on 39 Brookdale Senior Living Review Ratings)
2.4
2.0
2.5
2.1
2.4
Associate Director

"Brookdale Senior Living is a great company to work for; management is great and they focus on delivering their mission to enrich the lives of those they serve. My first day with Brookdale was May 8, 2006 when I was just 17 years old and beginning to ponder about a plan for my career goals after high school. The leadership team(s) at Brookdale opened up many doors of opportunities that made my decisions easier. As a result, a high school job turned into a career and a passion; so much more than I ever anticipated. With each year came more welcomed challenges and opportunities to meet and interact with residents and colleagues, learn from experienced professionals, and develop my skills. Throughout all these years, not only did I grow as an individual working alongside everyone, but I also had the privilege to enrich the lives of residents, associates, colleagues and friends at Brookdale. I am grateful for every experience so for this reason Brookdale will always have a place in my heart."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 5 / 5
Sales Manager
in Manteca, CA

"I have worked for Brookdale Senior living for almost 4 years and there are around 1200 communities in 47 states. My community has independent, Assisted and Memory Care. There are 147 available apartments that usually remain at full occupancy. The company puts the residents first."

2.6
Brookdale Senior Living (43)

4.0 Highest Rated in this Industry is Ogilvy CommonHealth (9)
2.6 Lowest Rated in this Industry is A Place For Mom (13)
3.2 Average of All Companies in this Industry (507)
in Highlands Ranch, CO

"I worked for Brookdale for over two years. They had two CEOs and the pressure of their stock not preforming was felt by every employee. In the 2 years I worked for the company I had 9 different supervisors. And was the longest tenured manager in one community at 3 months."

in Clearwater, FL

"I worked for Brookdale for 6 years. This is a toxic environment where they hire friends. The only way to get ahead here is being in the clique. I was bullied and sexually harassed. It was reported and nothing was done. So, after a year of this boys' club mentality, I gave my 30-day notice. On day 3 they asked me to leave. Don`t work for this company. It`s all about money."

Average Brookdale Senior Living Ratings in the Past 3 Years

2012 $2
2013 $2
in Kansas City, MO

"I worked for Brookdale for a few years. It is without a doubt the poorest run company I have been a part of. They have the right ideas and “mission” but don’t execute any of these things they pride themselves on."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Brookdale Senior Living Employee

"Unfortunately, the company mantra and corporate wording all looks nice on paper and for corporate shareholders, but when it comes to actual application the only part that gets any real attention is "sell, sell, sell". There is a disconnect between the corporate level and the buildings that won't be solved by visits to carefully culled and chosen buildings. Might be better if the home office hopped on a plane and popped into random buildings without any notice, maybe picking them from reviews from various websites to see what is really going on in your buildings, and sitting and talking to the front line employees in buldings that are not your star proformers to find out why. You really can't tell what is going on just by reviewing lines on a financial worksheet while sitting miles away. The care and compassion by the front line staff is amazing, but they can only do so much before they are burnt to a crisp. After a while, they can only give so much of themselves before they decide that it is much easier to work just about in any other field, make the same or more money and have less stress, more help, and a better work/life balance."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
in Shawnee, KS

"Poor management. Poor employee retention. Laughable staffing. Inadequate training. Hostile work environment. Always working short-staffed. No thought about acuity. Clear favoritism of certain staff."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in Puyallup, WA

"After 9 years I just don't know how to express my gratitude for the more then generous raise I received. The 14 cent raise should help me and family have a better quality of life. NOT. I worked alone in the building as the only dayshift caregiver for months because the rest quit. I couldn't give showers, I couldn't keep and eye on everyone, I couldn't give them what they deserved or were paying for. Management helped with nothing. I did it all. And I'm not even worth a quarter. Not even a full 15 cents. All my back breaking work over the years, all the hard times, and all I'm worth is a lousy 14 cents. SMDH."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Altamonte Springs, FL

"I've been working for Brookdale for about a month now. I am extremely concerned for the residents of this program and its hardworking staff. So many things wrong with this company! The RA role is not as they describe it to be when you are hired. Staff is underpaid for doing CNA, nursing work. This is supposed to be an assisted living facility but most of the patients here are full assist, which RAs are not trained to handle. I have seen other RA's be verbally and even physically abusive to residents. There are cockroaches everywhere, they climb on the residents and are infested in their rooms. In the one month I've worked here, we have run out of care supplies twice, we have nothing to clean the residents with and have to use wet briefs and napkins to clean them up when they are changed."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
in Port Charlotte, FL

"Horrible to staff. This company will do whatever it can to save face in the public eye, including burning good employees for unfounded accusations, all the while denying residents proper care to attend to erroneous accusations against staff. Avoid working for or putting your loved ones at that place."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in Temple, TX

"My reviews are them same as the others written about this company. I have been a nurse for over 20 years, the last year working for this company. It is evident this company is clearly profit driven and does not have any interest in employee relations. At this facility in Temple, TX the nursing administration is currently a joke. They DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT encourage nursing staff to progress and move up. They would rather pigeon hole as the term is called and keep current nursing staff on the floor working, rather than promote them into a nursing management position they are more then qualified to perform. The administration at this facility has its head in the sand about wages for the caregivers and nursing staff. Brookdale bought this Assisted Living facility with a healthcare area for skilled rehabilitation and long term care residents a few years ago. It still pays its staff in the skilled area like it is minimal care/minimal assistance, no acute care. The skilled-rehab, long term area is not just an assisted living area, it is at times total care for extremely sick people and the $10.00 an hour for the aides or caregivers is not enough for the amount of work these employees preform. Shame, shame, shame to Brookdale for your part in this mess of a business. It does nothing to complain to the the nursing administration and ED, they give their impression to either shut up and work or move on, because there is someone else that will not mind being screwed over for this wage. The turnover rate for care givers is horrible, the new employees start and by the end of the first week they are ready to quit. As a nurse we highly depend on the caregiver to be a huge part of the nursing team and when administration treats them like easy nothingness I know their feelings about the licensed staff, we are just as expendable as the caregivers. Not a good feeling to have when we are entrusted to provide high quality care to residents paying a lot of money to this company."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in The Villages, FL

"Run as far away as you can away from Brookdale Senior Living. Regional managers unorganized and have no clue what goes on. It's a big business and all about the money. No loyalty."

in Palm Coast, FL

"I would not recommend anyone work for or bring their loved ones to this facility. Unorganized. Office staff is not all that nice as they appear to be. When you go to apply they make it seem like the place is heaven. Was with this company for only a few days and wanted to quit on day 1. They schedule you to work the days when no one else wants to work. They have the RA'S answering phones which is fine, but "those in the office need to get outside calls until certain hours", huh?? They have the RA'S doing the dishes. "Hire a dishwasher or have the kitchen crew cleanup?" Wow! No housekeeping. The rooms STINK. One shift doesn't clean up, they leave it for the next shift. They talk about each other constantly. One person has assigned room numbers, so that one person disappears for hours. There is no teamwork AND omg! THE PAY SUCKS!!! All in one building. Assisted Living, Memory Care, Nursing Homes, Care Homes in Independent Living, Respite Care. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!"

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Sarasota, FL

"A terrible place to work... management does not care about the staff, all they care about is filling their pockets. Big turnover, because staff is sick of it. The aides have to dress people, bathe, wipe butts, transfer, housekeeping, serve food all for 10$ an hour. There's usually one aide for 40 residents. And 50% of them are not assisted living material. We have residents who are 2 person assist and who can't do anything on their own. Staff are no call, no show and nothing is done about it. Our Christmas bonus was $14.10 Walmart card, well the management got thousands of dollars. We have been kicked, punched, scratched, bit, spit on. I recommend people not to work there."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
in Olympia, WA

"I worked for Brookdale for just 3 years. In this short time period I watched "the building" fall apart physically and emotionally. If any company can ruin a good thing, it's Brookdale! I am not disgruntled, PO'd or anything close to it. I had secured other employment before giving my notice as I knew Brookdale would be the wimpy, tactless employer they have proven to be. Keep your loved ones away! Don't put them in any facility that is Brookdale. They will destroy your loved one by taking their money and providing nothing that can't be managed better somewhere else. Choose a smaller family owned Assisted Living."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5