(based on 26 University of Chicago Review Ratings)
Student Caller
in Chicago Heights, IL

"I worked for the University of Chicago call center for three years and it was a very comfortable and employee-friendly environment. Everyone worked together to make sure all task in each quarter were met."

Patient Case Manager

"I've worked at the UCM for three years now. It's a great atmosphere, with several catalysts for growth."

University of Chicago (40)

4.8 Highest Rated in this Industry is Kean University (12)
2.9 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Vatterott College (8)
Project Coordinator

"I've worked for the University of Chicago for 2 years, and I find it to be a professional, very well organized, congenial organization. I have learned so much about research, methods, surveys, interviewing, and multi-mode research projects. I have the utmost respect for my coworkers, the director, and the culture of the organization."

University of Chicago Employee

"Good working environment, and lots of opportunities to learn."

Average University of Chicago Ratings in the Past 3 Years

2013 $2
University of Chicago Employee

"I've held three positions at the University of Chicago Medical Center as a work-study student, and I've enjoyed them all thoroughly. The staff are extremely helpful and encouraging, and my fellow co-workers are easy to work with."

Senior Research Specialist

"I have worked at University of Chicago for over 6 years. We recently determined the structure and characterized the function of a novel ion channel protein. I really had good instruments and machines throughout my entire period of my research and also had a good working environment with my colleagues."

Senior Developer

"I have worked for The University of Chicago for eleven years now, mostly in development for Apple platforms, though priorities in the IT department go back and forth. My supervisors, through the CITO, value my contributions and potential. However, priorities have shifted away from native mobile development and direct outreach to research and teaching."

University of Chicago Employee

"I've worked for the University for 4 years.Great academic environment to work, good benefits.The location is the only not-so-great thing for me (IMHO)."

University of Chicago Employee

"I worked for the company for only 2 months but had a great experience seeing what was like to work in an educational environment for a change compared to corporate. Great staff and a great place to land and acquire where you would like to stay with 5 to 10 years down the line."

University of Chicago Employee

"There's a lot of harsh and abrasive management style at the supervisory level. I remember receiving an email from the higher ups asking for donations to give to a co-worker who worked for NORC for 10+ years as a contract hire. The company did not offer good health insurance and she was dying from cancer alone in her apartment. The leadership tried to ask the workers to help pay for her medical costs, even though many of us did not have insurance and had low pay."

in Burr Ridge, IL

"Very stable work environment with a lot of skills to learn, but very little in terms of career advancement or development. Great benefits, excellent team to work with, and great technology."

Person You Work For 3.7 / 5 People You Work With 3.7 / 5 Work Setting 3.7 / 5
Support You Get 3.7 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.7 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.7 / 5
Director of Development

"Interesting, stimulating, difficult budget and organizational issues"

What do you like about working at University of Chicago?

"Being on the cutting edge of research on nerve structure and myelin. Being around scientists, selling their ideas to fundraising prospects"

"Understand myelin and the causes of peripheral neuropathy, strong proposal skills."

"Clear line of authority and responsibility. Settle the budget issues."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Assistant Director of IT

What do you like about working at University of Chicago?

"It's like the 1950's. Culture is adversarial and their is no sense of teamwork."

"Get the money up front. 3 percent a year is junk. It's a stepping stone. Otherwise this place will wear on your soul."

What don't you like about working at University of Chicago?

"The culture of silos is terrible. No one cares much about anything other than their own behind."

"I would build relationships with staff and leaders rather than allow hard nosed micromanagers to remain."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Technical Support Analyst

"Difficult not to feel bitter, but I try..."

What do you like about working at University of Chicago?

"I liked the challenge of the work I did, and I liked actually working with students when they needed help."

"Be prepared for a roller-coaster ride. There are good days, but they're outnumbered by days of frustration, bureaucracy, and random enforcement of policies which are never put on paper, for fear that the director might be held accountable for what's written."

What don't you like about working at University of Chicago?

"My manager was demoted a few weeks after he hired me. The man who replaced him was unprofessional; he played favorites, made personal remarks about employees behind ther backs; allowed bullying; was incapable of standing up to higher management on behalf of his team; held back information that could have been used to allow me to improve, then punished me for not knowing. It was a hugely dysfunctional environment, complicated by my mishandling of a medical problem I was experiencing at the time. By the end of my tenure there, I was the team scapegoat and laughing-stock, and my manager was the leader of the pack."

"For management Nothing. They're quite happy with their extensive turnover rate among employees. But to Human Resources, I would like to convey that they REALLY need to start taking seriously the horror stories, reports, and grievances coming from a certain department."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Programmer Analyst

"Good experience working at respected university."

What do you like about working at University of Chicago?

"The resources and reputation of the institution were very high."

"Be sure to ask if you can talk to others on the team that you would be working with."

What don't you like about working at University of Chicago?

"Our department has too many manager layers. There always seemed to be scarcity of developers."

"They should hire and promote from within the organization more."