(based on 21 National Instruments Review Ratings)
"There is a very good reason this is one of the top workplaces in the nation. They treat their employees with the highest level of respect. The office is a friendly and accommodating atmosphere. Very intelligent and motivated coworkers. The first company I ever worked for full-time, and I am absolutely certain there are no other companies like it."
Posted 5 years ago in Austin, TX
National Instruments Employee

"A company starving itself to death with bureaucracy. Employees are retained and promoted through attrition and risk adversity which has left the bottom 10% running the company simply because they were never required, or even encouraged, to accomplish anything productive. Systems are setup to inhibit resolution of any issue and preclude well developed innovation and initiative that would normally come from experience. The only available alternative to driving good behavior has been to offshore many jobs through attrition, finalized by layoffs, because it is easier and looks decisive in quarterly accounting in lieu of actual long-term growth. It doesn't matter what country employees reside, pay will be relatively constant but return on investment depends solely skill and environment. If you treat employees as incapable, then they will always be incapable, become less valuable instead of more and produce little over that period. Advice is to get the right people for the job, foster their growth and empower them to attain efficiency, effectiveness and job satisfaction. These are the few things good employees look for before they start questioning marginal salary and is far better than the spite some feel by being told they are working for a great company instead of achieving something meaningful."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
National Instruments Employee

"Good intern experience. But salary is not competitive."

National Instruments (29)

4.7 Highest Rated in this Industry is Western Illinois University (10)
1.9 Lowest Rated in this Industry is CareCore National (10)
National Instruments Employee

"I worked at NI for three months as an intern. With a diverse range of products I found this company to be an excellent place to begin your career. The work environment was extremely friendly and I felt at home during my stay there."

National Instruments Employee

"Experienced career stagnation and technical-skill atrophy while working here."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5

Average National Instruments Ratings in the Past 3 Years

Application Engineer

National Instruments Employee

"Wonderful place to start a career, I was treated really well, not like an intern, was always allowed to implement my ideas and I could always reach my supervisor in case I had any issues."

National Instruments Employee

"Great place to work coming out of college, don't work there past your first promotion."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
National Instruments Employee

"Just not a lot of opportunity to move up."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
National Instruments Employee

"Company is great to work for but I feel somewhat trapped by the inability to advance my career. The company has gone through some tough financial times which limits growth potential despite the positive feedback I have gotten from my managers."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Electrical Engineer

"I worked for National Instruments for 3 years. It was a great place to work out of college, and I was able to pick up a lot of practical hardware engineering experience, but after 3 years the glass ceiling closed in and it was time to move on."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Software Engineering Intern

"Software Engineer InternshipImplemented kernel mode flash download support forCompactRIO productsParticipated in monthly sprints and sprint planningCommunicated with hardware engineers in order to improve flash documentation"

Person You Work For 4.3 / 5 People You Work With 4.3 / 5 Work Setting 4.3 / 5
Support You Get 4.3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4.3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4.3 / 5
National Instruments Employee

"NI is great for young engineers or R&D engineers. Unfortunately, most people with 10-20 years of tenure are not compensated or titled appropriately and are looking for new employment. While the culture aims to be youthful and full of spirit, it's also fading into the sunset as we grow and when you are old enough to have a family, little to no respect is given to your personal time... NI expects long hours, global assignments, and compliance without giving anything in return to its tenured."

Person You Work For 1.7 / 5 People You Work With 1.7 / 5 Work Setting 1.7 / 5
Support You Get 1.7 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1.7 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1.7 / 5
Windows Systems Administrator

"It's a good company, but I would only recommend it as a place to start a career."

Person You Work For 3.3 / 5 People You Work With 3.3 / 5 Work Setting 3.3 / 5
Support You Get 3.3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.3 / 5
Senior Administrative Assistant

What do you like about working at National Instruments?

"They are a very stable company with casual dress code."

"They only hire the best of the best academically. However, being a culture fit is a huge deal as well. Be passionate about technology and pretend that you salary is not important."

What don't you like about working at National Instruments?

"If you are not an engineer you will go nowhere in the company. Most of their leadership is home grown which leads to lack of valuable outside experience. Their compensation model is not that great, they lean too heavily on handing out company t-shirts and small having parties in lieu of competitive pay."

"I would bring in more experienced external hires to disrupt the group think and I would pay employees more competitively. I would also let MBA holders be the business owners not engineers."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Director of Sales
in Baltimore, MD

What do you like about working at National Instruments?

"a few of the key people that get it and really tried to make it work"

"avoid at all costs! this is the most demoralizing place to work"

What don't you like about working at National Instruments?

"CEO has no clue what makes company work and has put $10M back into the sinking ship"

"run! try to get the CEO to turn over operations to mangement staff"

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5