4 Jewel-Osco Anonymous Employee Reviews

Browse Jewel-Osco Reviews by Job Title →
2.3
(based on 3 Anonymous Employee Review Ratings)
in Kankakee, IL

"If I could give this company negative stars, I would. I have been trained in HACCP, food safety, and worked for 3 grocery stores and a restaurant. Corporate does not care about their customers. The walk-in coolers are not organized correctly with date stamps on the boxes and product being rotated according to the "First In First Out" rule. None of the stores follow the cleaning guidelines set forth by EcoLab/Kay Chemicals. I have called corporate through the employee hotline, reported the store to EcoLab directly, and I have submitted numerous complaints to the employee ethics hotline. Their response was not to train store employees how to handle food and product safely. They did not, at any point, train any of the employees on how to prepare food correctly. They did not train employees on how to clean, disinfect, and sanitize the department correctly. Even during this COVID-19 pandemic, the store is still run-down and filthy as ever. Store directors only care about profit and sales margins. Supervisors treat their employees awful. If you bring up a concern, they expect you to fix it whether it is a maintenance issue, food safety concern, or sanitation concern. This company grossly underpays employees and they don't offer benefits to new employees. Store directors and even produce managers aren't properly trained in food safety and sanitation. During an EcoLab/Kay Chemical audit, they told me not to prepare the fresh-cut fruits and vegetables, so the store would not got fined for violations. When I worked for a restaurant, we were required to work during the audit! I have never worked for a more pathetic and cowardly company. I worked for the company's top-store in fresh-cut 3 for $12 fruit bowls. Guess what, they do not wash and sanitize their dishes, cutlery, and cutting boards correctly. They do not wash the floor or the walls or the tables or the transportation carts or even the walk-in cooler, including the racks inside them. Poor management. Idiots."

in Dekalb, IL

"It's an okay place to work for. Worked here during college."

Jewel-Osco Anonymous Employee

"I have worked in the meat department of a Jewel-Osco between 4-12 years (I prefer not to be exact). The work is miserable: Store directors and their assistants are condescending, rude, create hostile working environments and are accountable to no one. Department managers are more personable.Pay is inadequate to compensate for job stress. Supplies are very limited and one frequently lacks the tools and time to perform to a manager's standards and is usually held responsible for it regardless."

Average Jewel-Osco Attributes by Anonymous Employee