10 Guitar Center Anonymous Employee Reviews

Browse Guitar Center Reviews by Job Title →
(based on 9 Anonymous Employee Review Ratings)
in Nashua, NH

"I have wanted to work for guitar center since I was 13 years old, being 21 now I felt that I finally met the qualifications to work there. I ended up being right, I got the job. I absolutely loved the job in the beginning, then I started realizing the BS that they do such as, not enough pay for the amount of time you take to work with a customer (20-45 minutes) 1% commission is apparently enough to them. Making you do a TON of work that is mostly work that is thrown at you so you have something to do. I can't tell you the amount of times my department was perfect and my manager would just walk in and move something and then tell me to fix the whole wall. He moved something slightly. They find ways to make you do brainless tasks because they can't stand when you stand there or go play a new piece of gear that comes in, that's another thing I was not allowed under any circumstance to play... at all, I thought this was a MUSIC store where we are all musicians who spent years honing the skills we had to play the way we did. We got new gear from NAMM and we weren't allowed to try it out and see how it played or worked, which is vital in sales to help customers play to their full potential. Knowledge on the product didn't seem to matter to GC, they were solely focused on doing brainless activities to "keep us busy". As for the Ops department I felt horrible for them because they had to do all this crap to make sure the sales floor ran smoothly and they got crap pay to do it. They got mad at me for doing training module which you know helps me do my job, God forbid, we do anything to improve our way of doing the job that we were paid and hired to do. Because of the environment and commission structure, no one ever worked as a team, it was literally every man or woman for themselves, worst of all my manager was always making fun of me or insulting me. I must say Guitarcenter really let me down and I have no interest in buying my gear from them. Thanks, Guitarcenter."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in Thousand Oaks, CA

"Being at GC, I have had great pleasure in being around many individuals who are incredibly talented at what they do. Having worked with many intelligent and talented people helps enhance my experience. There have been a few changes in management and thus changes in the goal, but that happens in many companies. I cannot say for all employees in the company but the salary seems to be competitive with other companies. The benefits are something that could be improved upon, though."

Average Anonymous Employee Ratings in the Past 5 Years

2014 $3
2016 $2
in Arlington, VA

"I've worked for Guitar Center for 8 months and I've seen a lot of changes being made, some good and some not so good. The chain itself has over 250 stores and a huge online selection the benefits we get are pretty good but I don't think we get paid what we are worth."

in Westlake Village, CA

"At least in the creative services department, everyone including the managers, directors and VPs are cool to work for. Everyone is committed to doing good work, although for a music-related company, they don't appreciate creativity as much as you'd think they would and often play it very conservatively with advertising. There is more bureaucracy than there needs to be, but it's also not as bad as other companies can be."

Average Guitar Center Attributes by Anonymous Employee

2.3
2.5
in Westlake Village, CA

"Good company to work with if you like working in the retail music industry. Discounts for instruments and other music gear."

in Westlake Village, CA

"If you worked at a Guitar Center Store selling gear, then managing a store or operations warehouse, you're in luck! You can have any management position at the headquarters. Ever run a writing team before No Graduate College No You're the new director of communications.However, if you are a hired employee at the headquarters, strategically called the Support Center, without having worked at a Guitar Center Store. FORGET ABOUT ANY ADVANCEMENT."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

"Guitar Center makes it very difficult to be a real professional sales person as you spend most of your time doing merchandising and or doing things unrelated to selling and which don't make you money. The system also takes money away from you if the client you sell to returns items even at other locations even though you did your job. They also require you to do work that does not make you commission and which also makes it more difficult to reach you commission goal."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in Winter Park, FL
Work Setting 4 / 5 Company Culture 3 / 5
in Arlington Heights, IL

What do you like about working at Guitar Center?

"Every day is a brand new day, it is always a blast at the job."

What don't you like about working at Guitar Center?

"The pay is horrible, some people sell and don't have to do anything else."

"They better start running the store better because a lot of people are going to leave."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Jackson, MS

"Kid job."

What do you like about working at Guitar Center?

"interaction with customers, the toys."

What don't you like about working at Guitar Center?

"Off of Westheimer, a bilingual salesperson can do well. In Jackson, MS I could've done better at Taco Bell."

"Man up and pay your people."