(based on 43 Guitar Center Review Ratings)
Project Manager
in Thousand Oaks, CA

"I’ve worked for Guitar Center since 2017 and although it’s an excellent brand and company to work for I am always looking to excel."

in Nashua, NH

"I have wanted to work for guitar center since I was 13 years old, being 21 now I felt that I finally met the qualifications to work there. I ended up being right, I got the job. I absolutely loved the job in the beginning, then I started realizing the BS that they do such as, not enough pay for the amount of time you take to work with a customer (20-45 minutes) 1% commission is apparently enough to them. Making you do a TON of work that is mostly work that is thrown at you so you have something to do. I can't tell you the amount of times my department was perfect and my manager would just walk in and move something and then tell me to fix the whole wall. He moved something slightly. They find ways to make you do brainless tasks because they can't stand when you stand there or go play a new piece of gear that comes in, that's another thing I was not allowed under any circumstance to play... at all, I thought this was a MUSIC store where we are all musicians who spent years honing the skills we had to play the way we did. We got new gear from NAMM and we weren't allowed to try it out and see how it played or worked, which is vital in sales to help customers play to their full potential. Knowledge on the product didn't seem to matter to GC, they were solely focused on doing brainless activities to "keep us busy". As for the Ops department I felt horrible for them because they had to do all this crap to make sure the sales floor ran smoothly and they got crap pay to do it. They got mad at me for doing training module which you know helps me do my job, God forbid, we do anything to improve our way of doing the job that we were paid and hired to do. Because of the environment and commission structure, no one ever worked as a team, it was literally every man or woman for themselves, worst of all my manager was always making fun of me or insulting me. I must say Guitarcenter really let me down and I have no interest in buying my gear from them. Thanks, Guitarcenter."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5

Guitar Center (73)

4.4 Highest Rated in this Industry is Adelphi University (7)
2.9 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Books-A-Million (19)
Systems Support Analyst
in Draper, UT

"I have worked for Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, WWBW and Music and Arts for 4 years now. I have climbed to my current positions due to the thirst for learning coding and data. I enjoy working for this company."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
in Thousand Oaks, CA

"Being at GC, I have had great pleasure in being around many individuals who are incredibly talented at what they do. Having worked with many intelligent and talented people helps enhance my experience. There have been a few changes in management and thus changes in the goal, but that happens in many companies. I cannot say for all employees in the company but the salary seems to be competitive with other companies. The benefits are something that could be improved upon, though."

Average Guitar Center Ratings in the Past 3 Years

Pro Audio Sales Specialist
in Madison, WI
Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
in Arlington, VA

"I've worked for Guitar Center for 8 months and I've seen a lot of changes being made, some good and some not so good. The chain itself has over 250 stores and a huge online selection the benefits we get are pretty good but I don't think we get paid what we are worth."

in Westlake Village, CA

"At least in the creative services department, everyone including the managers, directors and VPs are cool to work for. Everyone is committed to doing good work, although for a music-related company, they don't appreciate creativity as much as you'd think they would and often play it very conservatively with advertising. There is more bureaucracy than there needs to be, but it's also not as bad as other companies can be."

in Westlake Village, CA

"Good company to work with if you like working in the retail music industry. Discounts for instruments and other music gear."

in Westlake Village, CA

"If you worked at a Guitar Center Store selling gear, then managing a store or operations warehouse, you're in luck! You can have any management position at the headquarters. Ever run a writing team before No Graduate College No You're the new director of communications.However, if you are a hired employee at the headquarters, strategically called the Support Center, without having worked at a Guitar Center Store. FORGET ABOUT ANY ADVANCEMENT."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Professional Sales Associate
in Totowa, NJ

"Fun people and cool environment if you love music."

Email Developer
in Westlake Village, CA

"I've been working with GC for almost 2 years and I do enjoy the atmosphere and the people I work with. I've excelled in my talent and experience with this company because of their tools and expertise."

in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

"Guitar Center makes it very difficult to be a real professional sales person as you spend most of your time doing merchandising and or doing things unrelated to selling and which don't make you money. The system also takes money away from you if the client you sell to returns items even at other locations even though you did your job. They also require you to do work that does not make you commission and which also makes it more difficult to reach you commission goal."

Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Point of Sales Representative
in Roseville, MI

What do you like about working at Guitar Center?

"I liked that I had an opportunity to work with something I love. I got to try out the latest and greatest in gear. I enjoyed the challenge of a sales environment."

"Be prepared for a competitive environment and know your stuff as far as musical instruments."

What don't you like about working at Guitar Center?

"You can never do enough as far as numbers. If a worker has one down month in a statistic that he or she is usually strong in, they will still get written up. Morning meetings are unpaid. We were forced to sell horrible warranties that did not provide customers with the services they needed. Also technology for the company is slow to evolve and full of bugs when it is released."

"Use more of a big picture approach. Do not nitpick certain statistics when there is no history of a problem over the long term."

Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
in Winter Park, FL
Work Setting 4 / 5 Company Culture 3 / 5
Technical Manager
in Hollywood, CA

"Great experience, tons of contacts but it costed me a lot of loosing sleep."

What do you like about working at Guitar Center?

"I could meet many great people in the industry every day."

"Make sure that you are ready for what they are expecting from you so it don't overwhelm."

What don't you like about working at Guitar Center?

"It expected too much without conditions to perform so."

"They need to understand that buying a guitar is not like buying lemons at the grocery store."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5