Goodwill Employee Reviews for Anonymous Employee

Browse Goodwill Reviews by Job Title →
(based on 35 Anonymous Employee Review Ratings)
in Maplewood, MN

"I was laid off due to the pandemic and sought a position at Goodwill as a processor to supplement income. I also have 10+ years experience in volunteering with non-profits and was excited to work in a business that cares about the community... My experience working at Goodwill was traumatic. I was appalled at the way employees are treated. Profit was more important than people or customer service. It was a joke among employees that if you got fired (we were constantly threatened by managers in this way) or quit, you could just join the Goodwill jobs program and get a better job somewhere else. Some of the things I witnessed: - Managers making yelling at, calling names and encouraging gossip and bullying employees with disabilities. Often employees were yelled at or criticized for reasons related to their disability. There was very little support or understanding. - Quality items thrown in the trash at request of manager because Goodwill needed to make more money. We were instructed to go through bins quickly and take out specific items that would generate profit in the online auction. Everything else thrown in trash. I begged manager to save an antique glass washboard, refused. - Managers routinely intimidate and bully employees. Hours are cut if you complain or create problems. Threats of being fired common. Threats of being fired used to scare workers into working faster, beyond what is normal, so store can make money. - Little or no work incentives. It was more common to get a pay cut than a pay raise. Senior employees not recognized or rewarded. - I was trained to do my job a specific way. It was common for manager to change the tasks of my job or do something different even if it made the job more inefficient or compromised the customer experience. You never knew what to expect. You didn't ask questions bc you'd be yelled at or threatened to be fired. - Stresseful and unsafe conditions for donation attendants. - Low pay. - Managers not responsive to feedback."

in Amarillo, TX

"Store number 40 in amarillo Texas that Jesi is the GM of, is an AWFUL store. Im not allowed to use the words that truly describe them and the deplorable conditions they runs their store at. The management treats employees like sweat shop workers, they have employees do jobs they should not be doing due to limitations. They have their little group of favorite employees and it shows. She favors her Mexican production supervisor, gives her special treatment, they have Spanish speaking sessions openly in front of English speaking employees. They will only reply in Spanish when she knows employees don't speak it. People quit constantly because it is such an awful place to work for. Her little buddy ASM is no better. It is an unbearable environment working in that store. She also decides she doesn't like someone and then bullies them into quitting. The warehouse is a sweat box they are trapping employees in with boxes and boxes of donations. Can hardly navigate in the room with any equipment. It's like cliques in high school but it's the managers. Don't give the corporate fat cats more money, go to wal mart and pay the same price for something brand new. GM of store number 40 in amarillo is a pet keeping, morale killing,drives employees to quit AWFUL manager to work for. Want to know why they are always hiring, because the jobs are terrible and the pay is pennies. Goodwill is an awful company to work for. They treat employees like sweat shop workers and undermine them making the environment unbearable. Don't shop here, the money doesn't go to help nearly as much as they lie about it going to. The management they don't care at all about the workers and their feelings. You are just lining fat cats pockets just like shopping at wal mart. But at least there its new. Awful place, awful environment,it smells really bad, awful managers. Just awful. As an employee you will be used for your kindness, overworked in a hot, unhealthy"

Average Anonymous Employee Ratings in the Past 12 Years

2020 $3
2021 $3
2022 $1
in Ocean Springs, MS

"Management emphasis the companies principals and oversaw a daily review of those principals in every single morning meeting .Now for the bad news. Never have I worked for a company that functioned on the complete opposite in their daily operations. Management constantly spoke down to every employee. When problems arose and associates consulted with management the outcome was a utter disaster. Management isolated themselves from customers and associates. Store Management's reluctance to speak to irritated customers was frustrating. Even when associates solved situations with customer the store manage failed to recognize the effort of associates and criticized the customer and the employee. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Complains of management to human resources fell up deaf ears. I feel like the way the head of human resources addressed my concerns wee very unprofessional and condescending. I was now the "problem." If that was bad enough corporate response was even worst. After numerous emails and phone calls never returned from the corporate office I had enough. The image of this non profit /charity has been forever tarnished. Everyone at this location was so intimidated by management the morale and work environment was horrific. The only goal of management was sales bonuses . Squeezing out as much profit from customers and productivity from associates was the only constant concern of this corporation. Reaching sales numbers by any means canceled out every single one of the principles this company claimed to abide by and execute."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in La Crosse, WI

"Goodwill Industries provided me with every training opportunity I could have wished for when starting out a new job. This made the transition into the job smooth and easy, and helped lead me to a successful time there. Both the management and co-workers of this location were some of the most friendly and helpful that I have ever had, and made it sad to leave when it was time."

Average Goodwill Attributes by Anonymous Employee

2.7
in Shawnee Mission, KS

"I recommend those of you who are seeking a job at Goodwill to consider how much respect you have for yourselves"

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
in San Antonio, TX

"I recently moved to San Antonio and was looking for jobs and I found Goodwill and love working there. They're very welcoming and were able to work with me when I was sick."

in Bloomington, IN

"I worked for Goodwill of Central and Southern Indiana for around 2 years and They provided me with ample opportunity to learn and grow in my position as long as I was willing to reach for it. I would highly recommend them as a workplace to my friends and colleagues."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
in Fort Wayne, IN

"Excellent company to work for, very employee focused."

in Cartersville, GA

"I have been with this employer for sometime now and have watched it go on a downward spiral the last year. Company is terminating high salary managers and assistant managers. Because of a new VP company, which is non-profit, is now over 8M in debt."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Jacksonville, FL

"I’ve worked for goodwill about a year now. And supervisors just aren’t good with working with others. Though the pay is okay, when it comes to personal matters; such as family deaths they do not work with you regarding your grievance."