(based on 4 Department of Justice Review Ratings)
2.5
Department of Justice Employee
in Richmond, VA

"The work was very rewarding."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 5 / 5
Java Developer
in Sacramento, CA

"Nice place to work, good work and life balance, better pay"

Senior Developer
in Falls Church, VA

"Not a strong work environment and there are no fruits for hard work."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Intelligence Analyst
in Washington, DC

What do you like about working at Department of Justice?

"Not much, besides the good schedule (8.5 hour days). Most of the time, things are really slow, and there is no opportunity for innovation (not least because of the amount of adminstrative hurdles). All of my projects are long term and have little impact on anything."

"Make sure you really, really want to be working for the government... it's kind of a hot mess. It's also not a place for real career growth, since promotions tend to be based almost solely on time spent in the department."

What don't you like about working at Department of Justice?

"My work feels unimportant and, on a personal level, unrelated to what I want to be doing. I feel like I'm building skills that are specific to this industry, but I'd like to move to something else. The pace is very slow, beyond the occasional crisis, and all of my projects are long-term. Most of my work is also self-initiated, which sounds good but is more a product of the fact that nothing we do really matters or has an impact on anyone."

"My direct supervisor is knowledgeable but doesn't push me very much. My boss above him is a little flaky and extremely cynical. In general, the higher-ups are self-serving and frequently incompetent (relative to their level of authority). The CEO is good but most of what happens here is decided at a much lower level. If I were in charge, I would streamline communications, cut out redundant processes, and empower analysts more (right now we have very little actual authority and, therefore, can have only minimal impact)."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5