The Gap Reviews

On average, employees at The Gap give their company a 3.7 rating out of 5.0 - which is 3% lower than the average rating for all companies on CareerBliss. The happiest The Gap employees are Customer Service Representatives submitting an average rating of 4.5 and Customer Service Associates with a rating of 4.1. Browse The Gap Reviews by Job Title →

(based on 33 The Gap Review Ratings)
Company Culture 3.6
Way You Work 3.9
Work Setting 4.1

91 The Gap Company Reviews and Ratings

4.9Posted 4 months ago in New York City, NY
"I am very fond of the company and loved the short time I spent as a seasonal employee."
Posted 3 months ago in Southlake, TX

"I've worked at gap for one year and I hate it, especially at the Southlake, TX location. 4 out of 5 managers are horrible and most of the sales associates are too! Nothing gets done, people call off all of the time, yet aren't reprimanded for it. The hiring and training tools for management need to be revamped or revised, especially when you have a college degree and you're passed up for a promotion by someone who doesn't and has less experience then you. It's really unbelievable!"

People You Work With 3 / 5 Support You Get 1 / 5 Way You Work 1 / 5
Work Setting 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5 Company Culture 2 / 5
Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Person You Work For 2 / 5
Posted 3 months ago in New York City, NY

People You Work With 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Way You Work 5 / 5
Support You Get 5 / 5 Person You Work For 5 / 5 Work Setting 5 / 5
Company Culture 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5

The Gap (91)

4.4 Highest Rated in this Industry is Louis Vuitton (9)
2.4 Lowest Rated in this Industry is J.Crew (8)
Posted 4 months ago in Frisco, TX

"I've only been working at Gap Inc for a month and I am very pleased because every job counts for new experience, I've never done sales associate before and it's a job where I have fun with the people I work with and making new friends on the sales floor with customers."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Company Culture 4 / 5
Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Way You Work 5 / 5 Work Setting 5 / 5
Growth Opportunities 5 / 5 Support You Get 5 / 5
Anonymous Employee
Posted 4 months ago in San Francisco, CA

"Good company to work for."

Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Way You Work 3 / 5 Support You Get 3 / 5
Work Setting 3 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Company Culture 3 / 5
Person You Work For 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5

Average The Gap Ratings in the Past 2 Years

Customer Service Manager
Posted 5 months ago in San Rafael, CA

"Good company, great for workers!"

People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5
Person You Work For 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5 Support You Get 3 / 5
Anonymous Employee
Posted 7 months ago in Cincinnati, OH

"I've worked for The Gap for a short period of time, but it is very upbeat and a very easy place to work. It's perfect for a college student paying their way through school or a retiree. It's a fun company with a fun set of coworkers and employees."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Company Culture 3 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Way You Work 3 / 5
Person You Work For 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
Java Developer
Posted 9 months ago in San Francisco, CA

"Productive and lot to learn."

Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5 Way You Work 4 / 5
People You Work With 4 / 5 Support You Get 4 / 5 Person You Work For 4 / 5
Company Culture 4 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Assistant Brand Manager
Posted last year in Charleston, WV

"Didn't care about training, no support, & released private information."

What do you like about working at The Gap?

"The Gap offers a great discount that allows you to definitely continue to shop the brands under the Gap umbrella. The work hours were usually very reasonable and typical of the retail environment. Some of the associates were usually very nice and easy to talk to."

"The manager always appears to be fun and interested in you. Normally this would be great, but in many cases the manager just wants you as the labor, and has no interest in you otherwise. When going in stand your ground and for your beliefs. If you stand strong in the interview then you won't be pushed around if hired."

What don't you like about working at The Gap?

"The training was horrible. I was given one day of training with another brand manager, yet was unable to be trained by this person because I was thrown in to do company standard flow for new items that I wasn't quite ready to dive into. I had not seen any papers beforehand and was never taught how to submit payroll, close registers, open and close the store, and etc. It was a nightmare. The benefits offered by the company are also some of the worst offered from any company I've been offered them. The pricing was very high which was a turn off, and there was nobody to talk to or go over the information with me and very limited resources to read about outside of the horrible setup on the employee website. The staunch attitude of the management team and the way they acted showed me that the company didn't really care for me as a person, just as labor. The attitudes I was showcased to definitely showed off how unimportant the person is to the company outside of the paying customer. District managers and the store manager were very vocal about this attitude with assistants and associates."

"Help improve the training experience overall for new management and associates. Have more fun in the store. The Gap is a snotty environment to work in and it comes across through management that the store is more concerned about making money and getting credit cards than it is about having a good time, helping customers, and making the store a great shopping environment. I know in many cases I have seen teams concentrate on customer service, yet I still see the anxious abilities to badger and push customers away from the store with talks of credit cards and making $100+ purchases to the point customers begin shopping online more or come less frequently as they find a newer store who isn't as concerned with credit cards."

Company Culture 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Person You Work For 1 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Growth Opportunities 1 / 5 Way You Work 1 / 5
Sales Manager
Posted last year in Chicago, IL

What do you like about working at The Gap?

"I like that I can have a balanced life as a manager."

"Know your skills and what you can bring to the team. Figure out how to transfer your skills to the new team as soon as possible."

What don't you like about working at The Gap?

"I worked at the same retailer for 12 years and just went to Gap three months ago. I've felt a little lost, the onboarding was not good. I need more tools in my tool box to do the job well."

"Get more feed back from the store, let our feedback get us the right product on the floor."

People You Work With 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5 Way You Work 2 / 5
Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Support You Get 2 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Company Culture 3 / 5 Person You Work For 2 / 5
QA Architect
Posted this month in Columbus, OH

What do you like about working at The Gap?

"The opportunity and freedom to explore solutions and tools. To establish proof of concept"

"Test candidates about how to resolve one your real problems not necessarily solving it"

What don't you like about working at The Gap?

"The approval process take long time and slows the engineer in getting his/her work done"

"reduce the approval time for budget/direction/tools/equipments because it slows the momentum of the engineer"

Work Setting 3 / 5 Person You Work For 4 / 5 Company Culture 3 / 5
People You Work With 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5 Way You Work 4 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5
Department Manager
Posted 2 years ago in Knoxville, TN

"It was a fantastic experience"

What do you like about working at The Gap?

"I loved managing people, work schedules, and being responsible for the stores goals."

"I suggest when interviewing that you be prepared to work your shift and be there on time."

What don't you like about working at The Gap?

"I didn't like the fact that we needed work within a budget to schedule people to work during peak times."

"I had only one suggestion for management. I suggested that we work with our employees with a little more consideration for their schedules."

Support You Get 5 / 5 Work Setting 5 / 5 Company Culture 5 / 5
People You Work With 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Person You Work For 5 / 5
Growth Opportunities 5 / 5 Way You Work 5 / 5
Director of Architecture
Posted 2 years ago in San Francisco, CA

"Great"

What do you like about working at The Gap?

"Its a very well known and socially responsible company in SF"

"Be real, be courteous, be knowledgeable. Gap is a great culture!"

What don't you like about working at The Gap?

"I have been working with the organization for over 8 years and am looking for other opportunities."

"None. The organization is well managed and is on the path to continued successes."

Way You Work 5 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Company Culture 4 / 5
Growth Opportunities 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Person You Work For 5 / 5
Work Setting 4 / 5 Support You Get 4 / 5
Store Manager
Posted 2 years ago in Los Angeles, CA

"Was a great company, but the vision weas always changing."

What do you like about working at The Gap?

"I love to see people grow within a company. I love the passion people have when you have success"

"You have to love retail,driving sales and working with customers to be great at what you do!!!"

What don't you like about working at The Gap?

"I did not enjoy the company constant change in leadership."

"I think you need to build a strong core team and create an internal talent poll"

Way You Work 5 / 5 Person You Work For 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5
People You Work With 4 / 5 Support You Get 3 / 5 Company Culture 3 / 5
Work Setting 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
Logistics Supervisor
Posted 2 years ago

What do you like about working at The Gap?

"The ability to form a group of people all trained and ready to go in no time"

"Be yourself and enjoy the ride, it will be worth it"

What don't you like about working at The Gap?

"The low chances of advancement it offered to its employees"

Person You Work For 4 / 5 Company Culture 4 / 5 Support You Get 3 / 5
Work Setting 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5 Way You Work 4 / 5
Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5
Assistant Manager
Posted 2 years ago in Baraboo, WI

What do you like about working at The Gap?

"variety each day, customer interaction, autonomy in my role, technologically savvy"

"be prepared for change, it happens frequently. Be solution based when you see an obstacle."

What don't you like about working at The Gap?

"lack of empowerment...there are many ways to work but frequently it feels as though it's my boss's way or the highway"

"ensure all employees have an opportunity to show their skills, more empowerment. I would like to see time devoted to utilizing the training offered and inspecting the outcomes of the training"

Person You Work For 3 / 5 Work Setting 5 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5