(based on 375 Target Review Ratings)
"I've been working at Target since August of 2012 and I've loved almost every minute of it. The atmosphere and coworkers are great. I would suggest anyone to work at Target to start off their career or just to put some money in their pocket while in school."
Posted 5 years ago in Opelika, AL
Senior Strategy Planner
in Minneapolis, MN

"I've worked for Target for the last 2.5 years and have found it to be a very positive experience in professional development. Target provides a magnitude of opportunities most companies cannot, especially in the Twin Cities. Though Target is a large corporation, they are very aware of the constant need to change and optimize."

Flow Team Member
in West Burlington, IA

"A good company to work for overall. Treatment of employees is fantastic. Focus on safety and customer (guest) services over task at all times. They are family oriented.The only downfall is with employment status. Each store is limited on Full Time employees. Which makes it difficult to reach full time status. In return limits the amount of hours able to be worked by an individual.Scheduling is the in-between. Schedule changes week by week. Some days my stay consistent while others will always vary. Everything depends on sales and what is needed throughout the store."

Target Employee
in Minneapolis, MN

"Great company to work with!!! Fast, fun, and friendly atmosphere."

Person You Work For 3.7 / 5 People You Work With 3.7 / 5 Work Setting 3.7 / 5
Support You Get 3.7 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.7 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.7 / 5
Sales Associate
in Brunswick, GA

"Over all my experience with this company has not been very good, sub par at best"

What do you like about working at Target?

"The hours, during peak sales seasons, are great and overtime is almost a given during the holidays. If your boss likes you, then you really have no worries. All of your coworkers (aside from managers) are usually always on your side and will back up your decisions, if they make sense. When you do actually get training, it is informative and very thorough, and they tend to follow up with you to make sure you fully understand your duties. For the most part the work is pretty easy and laid back."

"If you really want to apply and accept a call for an interview, be prepared to answer questions pertaining to past work experiences, specifically in retail environments. Go in and speak to the store manager after applying, they like to see a sense of urgency when it comes to those seeking a position in their company. Do not wait on this company, if you do that then they will never call you in for an interview, if they don't call you in a week after speaking to the store manager, then go back in and speak to someone else and see if they can help out by pushing your application. Also expect to be there for a very long time, for orientation, if you accept a job, they give you a full tour of the store and require that you do cashier training during orientation, every employee in Target is trained on the cash registers, whether you work in the back or the sales floor."

What don't you like about working at Target?

"The management is very restrictive on many things. They like to watch your every move and comment on it in a very negative way, almost to the point of harassment, it gets to be very overbearing at times and it's very easy to reach your breaking point. They're not very keen on anyone who breaks social norms, for example: they do let you dye your hair any color you want, but if they don't like the color you choose, your hours will reflect it, also, if you wear any sort of clothing that does not match up 100% with being a masculine man or a feminine woman, your hours will reflect negatively. They're not very understanding about things like deaths in the family, they tend to see it as a chore to give you any sort of paid/unpaid leave for grieving. Over all it is not really a great company if you're seeking a well oiled, professional environment, unless you really enjoy micro-management and nepotism, which also runs rampant through the company."

"Loosen up and allow your employees to work without constantly breathing down their necks. Once they're trained, and have been doing it for a while, they know what they're doing and they can do it efficiently. Embrace all aspects of society, do not be so opposed to things that break the mold, allow people to be individuals and do not punish them for it by taking away their hours."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
QA Group Leader

"Excellent leadership development and growth."

What do you like about working at Target?

"Leadership development, upper teir leadership support for growth and development."

"Know who your team is before taking on their talent management opportunities."

What don't you like about working at Target?

"Tough to manage talent of Merit Team Members and hold them accountable."

"Development starts at the bottom so creating clear paths and tools for lower team members will help grow the company."

Cashier
in Worcester, MA
Support You Get 3 / 5 Company Culture 4 / 5 Way You Work 1 / 5
Sales Associate
in Columbia, MO

What do you like about working at Target?

"The people are great to work with, love working at the store!"

"I do not have any tips, they will usually hire anyone"

What don't you like about working at Target?

"I don't like the fact that managers play favorites and it is obvious"

"TO not play favorites and to give everybody an equal chance at success"

Operator
in Buena Park, CA

What do you like about working at Target?

"Target is extremely flexible with scheduling which is always a plus. They also have a lot of discounts and prizes available for their employees."

"Always have a Fast, Fun, and Friendly attitude. FFF is a Target motto that they take very serious. Always have a smile and be willing to help a guest (not "customer") out."

What don't you like about working at Target?

"In retail the hours change weekly so it's not always a steady pay check coming in."

"I'd suggest more verbal recognition. Recognition goes a long way."

Team Assistant
in Minneapolis, MN

"This was one of the best jobs I ever had and I really miss working there."

What do you like about working at Target?

"It had a great team atmosphere. Even as a new employee they made you feel right at home. Wish I didn't move so I could be there."

"Be yourself. Be very accurate on what you are going to say. Be honest and have fun."

What don't you like about working at Target?

"There is nothing I didn't like about this company. I was very sad to leave it. If given the chance I would work for Target in a heartbeat."

"I do not have any suggestions for management except to keep what they are doing."

Target Employee
in Sacramento, CA
Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Stocker
in Greenville, NC

What do you like about working at Target?

"Being a stocker takes time, it was fun, I enjoyed it."

"Just go in there and be yourself, be honest and use eye to eye contact, you will get it."

What don't you like about working at Target?

"Rushing to get things done, people not picking up trash."

"I would have given more time and more hours if they were available."

Team Member

"I have had a great experience with Target, and the Management team is great."

What do you like about working at Target?

"The people I work with are fun and are always willing to help."

"Be ready for fun and work hard to complete all tasks."

What don't you like about working at Target?

"There is nothing I don't like, the people are great and the customers make the job exciting."

"There is a great team of managers who take the time and get to know their employees."

Dock Worker
in Kalamazoo, MI

"I enjoyed my employment in general."

What do you like about working at Target?

"I liked working in my area and making sure that my peers had all they needed to be a successful hard working member of the Target team."

"I would suggest that you are completely honest with your interviewer. I would also suggest that you maintain eye contact, as this is a sign of respect."

What don't you like about working at Target?

"I did not like the way that I was not given some understanding with trying to figure out my personal life while still working for Target."

"I would suggest that if an employee is working hard and always on time; they should be allowed some slack if they are going through personal drama, as this is a part of human life in general."

Cashier
in Canoga Park, CA

"Target is a SPECTACULAR company to work for!"

What do you like about working at Target?

"I love nearly everything there is about Target. I think it's a wonderful place to work with plenty of colorful characters who are there day in and day out to help each other and grow as adults as well as workers."

"Be yourself and be proud to be given a chance to work for such a great company. Know that working at Target will not only be enlightening compared to some other retail jobs, but you will learn life lessons working there as well."

What don't you like about working at Target?

"The only thing I'm not fond of at Target is the lack of decent pay and the lack of decent hours per week."

"Don't be afraid of giving the dedicated employees that want to be at work the amount of hours they deserve."

Protection Specialist
in Anchorage, AK

"Your work experience often depends upon what you make it."

What do you like about working at Target?

"Flexibility in scheduling, benefits, and the understanding that employees need to balance work and home life. Not saying you can call out every weekend to go partying, but if you need an extra day off here or there they won't sever your head if you ask for it."

"You must be customer-service oriented first and foremost. Ask a lot of questions, and do some research on the company beforehand."

What don't you like about working at Target?

"Opportunities to advance without education are limited. Only those who are team leads or higher can participate in education reimbursement. This is a bummer for me and I believe it would help create long-term employees out of some people."

"I've worked through three STL's (store team lead, aka manager) and two ETL's (executive team leads). The older the manager, the more engaged they seem to be with making employees happy and comfortable. The younger, less-experienced ones need to lean on their elders a little bit and learn from them."