Career Menu

61 Special Education Teacher Reviews

Special Education Teachers give their job an average rating of 3.5 out of 5.0. The Special Education Teachers happiest with their jobs are employed by Boston Public Schools with an average rating of 0.0 while the Special Education Teachers least happy with their jobs work for Westchester Arc with an average rating of 1.5.

Submit a Review
Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
Special Education Teacher at Amesbury Public Schools
in Amesbury, MA

"Do you like beating your head against the wall Yes Be a Special Ed teacher."

Special Education Teacher at Prescott School District
in Prescott, WI

"I love problem-solving and actual teaching. I do not enjoy discipline, and ungrateful students. I don't have the support needed for effective class managment. I don't like that I am stuck in a classroom everyday and I don't get the opportunity to do public speaking, research or write."

Special Education Teacher at Wake County Public School System
in Cary, NC

"I truly love the children and their families I have worked with.I hate teaching kids how to take tests ALL YEAR LONG so a district looks good and not being able to go over the basics that sped kids need so badly. Teaching used to be inventive and fun--now we are merely techs teaching like robots to turn children into robots who can guess which answer to bubble 'so they can have a candy party at the end of the year'."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Special Education Teacher at Los Angeles Unified School District

What do you like about working at Los Angeles Unified School District?

"I love my job, but get frustrated working in a large bureaucracy."

"Keep in mind that your ultimate responsibility is to your students."

What don't you like about working at Los Angeles Unified School District?

"There is a great deal of need within our student population and not enough resources to effectively serve all students."

"I would provide greater accountability for administrators and other high-salaried, high leadership positions."

Special Education Teacher at Montgomery County Public Schools
in Clarksville, TN

What do you like about working at Montgomery County Public Schools?

"The children are mostly interested and curious. I like working with the students."

"Change careers and run away from here now before it's too late."

What don't you like about working at Montgomery County Public Schools?

"The work load is ridiculous and increasing demands of high-stakes testing are warping the daily purposes of teachers."

"Care more for the employees, provide adequate support for accomplishing ever-increasing demands made on classroom teachers"

Special Education Teacher at Los Angeles Unified School District

What do you like about working at Los Angeles Unified School District?

"I loved my students. My students have Special Needs, and I loved providing them with a well-rounded, excellent education. I also loved my co-workers. It was incredible to see the strides my students made in my classroom."

"I did really well with the interviews, because LAUSD was so great, back then. Be soo open to whatever change there is, and just be honest."

What don't you like about working at Los Angeles Unified School District?

"The new administration came in and changed the location code of our school, and that allowed them to get rid of most of our staff, including people who had been at the school over 30 years, and the vast majority of our students. They kept people who didn't support the union (including my union leader). I was the only foreigner, and the new principal didn't renew my work visa, with one check mark, so that was awful and shocking."

"Allow people to move to another location, and don't be underhanded. Normally, we had a wonderful administration, before LAUSD wanted to move so many schools to Charter (cheaper, no unions)."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Special Education Teacher at Albuquerque Public Schools
in Albuquerque, NM

What do you like about working at Albuquerque Public Schools?

"I really like my co-workers. I also like the hours, and being off in the summer. I like the control I have, as well as the variety in my job."

"Know that you are not going to change the culture of APS; accept the insanity and you'll be ok."

What don't you like about working at Albuquerque Public Schools?

"I don't have enough time, and don't feel supported in curriculum planning."

"I would make sure communication was better, and break the organization into smaller, more manageable parts."

Special Education Teacher at Boulder Valley School District
in Broomfield, CO

What do you like about working at Boulder Valley School District?

"At my school site, everyone works together so well, and is open to integrating new ideas and processes, as long as it improves our outcomes."

"Know the site and school you're interviewing for. The district has been described as 55 islands. Each site is different with a different culture."

What don't you like about working at Boulder Valley School District?

"I wish the pay was higher. But that's true of all teaching jobs."

"Nothing. I think the district is on the right track."

Special Education Teacher at Fuller County Schools

Please give us a one liner to describe this review.

"I had a bad experience working here."

What do you like about working at Fuller County Schools?

"I liked teaching the students, but the principal was not a good leader."

"I wouldn't interview there, it is a very unpleasant place to work."

What don't you like about working at Fuller County Schools?

"It was hard to do anything to please the principal, she wasn't very supportive of any teacher."

"They should be supporting their teachers, not do everything in their power to make people quit."

Special Education Teacher at Westchester Arc
in Tuckahoe, NY

What do you like about working at Westchester Arc?

"Love teaching children. Love interaction with children. Love speech and occupational therapists and team."

"Your salary will go down while your work load and responsibilities will increase - and you will be told repeatedly that you are not doing enough, listening enough."

What don't you like about working at Westchester Arc?

"People fired for no real reason. Job duties change without notice. Salaries decreased. No raises in four years. Teams that work well are broken up for no reason."

"I would make certain each worker knew how much their contribution was appreciated. I would make expectations clear and not wait for a mistake to occur and then humiliate the individual."

Special Education Teacher at Glendale Elementary School District

What do you like about working at Glendale Elementary School District?

"I love working with like-minded people who are passionate about what they do and helping kids."

"Like any teaching position, if you're passionate about helping others and reaching kids, then communicate it in your interview and you'll be halfway there. Just be prepared to find out that teaching is not really a career so much as it is charity work for people who could probably be doing much more financially rewarding things elsewhere. This is especially the case in Arizona, where teacher pay can be as low as 24,000 a year."

What don't you like about working at Glendale Elementary School District?

"Work-life balance for any teaching job is pretty horrendous. In addition, having just a couple of really uncooperative students can ruin the whole year and make it extremely difficult just to survive at work even while putting in insane hours. I'm actually fortunate in having an awesome class of kids this time around, but last year was real difficult. The problem lies in the bureaucracy and limited power of the school systems. When misbehavior is tolerated on a regular basis, it becomes the culture of the school, and it destroys the potential of everyone else in the learning environment. There's also the issue of self respect. In a retail job, if a customer is rude to you and cusses you out for no reason then the manager would generally be expected to back you up. In a teaching job, if a student is rude to you for no reason and cusses you out then the principal generally assumes there is something wrong with you or the way you do your job. Whether that's justified or not. In addition, teaching as a profession is structured in a way that is deeply destructive to children and teachers alike. Generally speaking, the least experienced teachers wind up with the students who have the highest needs and most disadvantaged backgrounds. The more affluent areas lure away veteran teachers to teach children brought up in a suburban environment with highly educated and active parents. The least affluent areas hire people who require on-the-job training and basically stick them with a class of their own with no safety net. It makes absolutely no sense from a moral standpoint or one that is interested in ensuring all children receive a quality education. In my honest opinion, classes of students should be classified as high need based on their ability compared to their same age peered and possibly their background. Such high needs classes should only be able to be taught by veteran teachers with a proven track record. In exchange for the additional challenges that come with such a class, those teachers should receive an equivalent amount of additional pay."

"We have a great principal. She is one of the best things about my job. However, the work-life balance (or imbalance if you prefer) is what is currently prompting me to consider changing careers."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Special Education Teacher at Chappaqua Central School District
in Gillette, WY

What do you like about working at Chappaqua Central School District ?

"I enjoy helping students become who they are and improve their academic skills."

"Go elsewhere unless you lack morals and don't mind selling out completely."

What don't you like about working at Chappaqua Central School District ?

"The school district just cares about test scores, funding, and looking good. Their vision is a sham. I feel dirty working there."

"I would actually care about employees and students, not just give it lip service."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Special Education Teacher at Clarke County School District
in Athens, GA

Please give us a one liner to describe this review.

"Teaching children with disabilities"

What do you like about working at Clarke County School District?

"I loved helping children get farther in life and work their way to become a better person"

What don't you like about working at Clarke County School District?

"I was very happy there but the system continued to make cuts."

"think about the students and not you wallets if you want the students to learn"

Special Education Teacher at Brandywine School District
in Wilmington, DE

What do you like about working at Brandywine School District?

"I love working with the students. Also a small group of my co-workers are very supportive. I like that my job is active and different every day."

"Find postive and helpful co-workers to mentor you when you begin. Also develop good stress management skills."

What don't you like about working at Brandywine School District?

"There are unreasonable expectations placed on the workers. More and more responsibilities are added on and there is only so much time in the work day. It is expected that we use our personal, unpaid time to complete tasks that we can't get done during the day."

"Have more clearly defined and practiced policies and procedures. Also be more open to suggestions and solutions to improve the working environment and efficiency. Also have more clear and consistant expecations."

You can cancel email alerts at any time.
Got it! Your job alert was created
Jobs You Might Like