(based on 68 PETCO Review Ratings)
"Hard, fast-paced work. Always changing, but I enjoyed it."
Posted 9 years ago in Idaho Falls, ID
in Braselton, GA

"Worked there 5 years, inconsistency in workload, poor senior management"

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in League City, TX

"Initially when working for the company I found it to be an enjoyable work environment that was fast paced and expected quality service to customers and animals alike. I was committed to these principles until there was a shift in management. After said shift employees were treated poorly and with expendability. The working environment changed drastically. So that is to say: overall the company is a lovely place to work, granted the management team is committing to fostering an inclusive, peaceful, openly communicative environment."

PETCO (106)

4.6 Highest Rated in this Industry is Lehigh Press (8)
2.7 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Aaron Brothers (16)
PETCO Employee

"Experiences will be highly dependent on team dynamics and leader decisions. Proper education is not supplied when considering proper animal husbandry though the company is not fully to blame as such a training program would be incredibly long and unreasonable to expect. Retail workers are not animal experts however, the public still views workers as such and will ask their opinion. This can cause horrible impacts on the health and safety of animals as the mis- or underinformed employees provide answers. Also, the pay is horrible. A department manager can expect to make $12-$14 per hour and has unreasonable expectations such as managing the entire store with only themselves and a single extra employee for hours at a time. This is in a store with hundreds of live animals! Outrageous"

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
PETCO Employee

"I have worked for Petco for nearly three years and must say that this Company is on the move! Open culture of growth, respect and the love of pets offers a unique environment to thrive. Overall, if you are looking to join a Company that doesn't settle for the here and now and believes in greatness, this is the place for you."

Average PETCO Ratings in the Past 4 Years

2013 $2
PETCO Employee

"Company is going through internal changes."

PETCO Employee

"Fun Team to work for and love bringing my dog to work"

PETCO Employee

"I've worked at Petco headquarters for 2.5 years and in that time have seen tremendous growth!"

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 5 / 5
PETCO Employee

"strong direction with new leadership"

in Chula Vista, CA

"During grooming academy, the academy teacher harassed me about an employee I used to work with (one she had trained) and got upset when I told her that her trainee ended up hitting a dog and never got fired only got transferred to another petco. (Which btw that groomer is still grooming with Petco so beware which salon you bring your fur babies to!) Grooming academy instructor then targeted me because she was unhappy with me, some of the girls in academy assisted in providing her and the corporation with false allegations about me and my work. Since corporate could find no concrete evidence that the allegations were true, (obviously because they were false and constructed by jealous, dishonest women) I was removed from the salon but offered a position back out on the sales floor as a cashier (GES). Their grooming academy instructor is the only one within San Diego county and since there was no room for advancement in my career anymore at that company I respectfully declined their offer to be a GES and went on my way. I am trying to make aware this situation because I was unfortunately unable to progress my career on the false word of a women who is very knowledgeable in the area and expertise of grooming but because of that, was designated a higher amount of respect and protection from the employees above in corporate because she is undoubtedly harder to replace than me. This academy instructor is a mother and a hard worker, I have respect for her talents and skill set, however for her to hold the capability to ruin another women's career and future plans with an entire corporation backing her (with no concrete evidence), is that really what the Petco Corporation is about? I've met the CEO back when I was working in Ob and he didn't portray himself as such, but if this is the kind of retaliation and harassment he supports, then I truly want no part of it and Petco."

PETCO Employee

"I've worked for Petco as an intern for a year now, and I must say that the campus, coworkers, perks, and overall work lifestyle have been amazing. Although there could be more direction for tasks at times, I am proud of my accomplishments in the IT department at Petco."

Marketing Coordinator

"Petco is a great company to work for because it puts the needs of pets first and treats pets like family."

Inventory Manager
in Needham, MA

"I've been working for Petco about 7 years, 2 years as a Manager. I got along with my Customers and my Employees. A very great working environment."

in Cranbury, NJ

"I started at Petco as a temp and now work as full time. Job is demanding but general director and team do a good job keeping us informed and we trust him. He remains fair to everyone and we have seen a lot of progress since the last one, I am told by the older workers. Holidays are bad, but management is here with us so it's bad for everyone with no time off like normal company. Only 3 holidays off. Seeing good job progression and better employees being hired. Please don't let our boss go away. He is good for the DC and people."

in Cranbury, NJ

"I have worked for the company for 3 years and a big improvement came with our new General Manager in Cranbury. He knows the operation, he understands people and he is always on the floor making time for issues and talks to all of us. Great to see him here. The company is heading in the right direction and I look ahead for more positions for advance."

PETCO Employee

"Worked for Petco since 2003, starting as freight crew and working my way up."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5