United States - New York - New York City
At Pfizer we strive to deliver Breakthroughs That Change Patients Lives. Our Centers for Therapeutic Innovation (CTI) are an entrepreneurial group within Pfizer that collaborate with leading academic centers and biotech companies to translate the most promising science into novel therapeutics. Accordingly, state-of-the-art CTI labs are established in leading University and Biotech hubs. CTI charts a path into emerging areas of science and technology for Pfizer, leveraging a model of co-discovery with external entities to illuminate next wave breakthrough therapeutic opportunities.
We are seeking a Senior Director to lead a talented group of scientists and post-docs that have the mission to develop innovative RNA-based medicines. The team will partner closely with world class scientists in our CTI drug discovery teams, research units, medicinal sciences, digital medicine and other R&D groups across Pfizer. As a Senior Director, you will be tasked with defining strategy and leading a high functioning matrixed team of internal scientists, external KOLs, biotech and other partners to derive proprietary insights and advance RNA-based therapeutics. This will be exemplified by augmented confidence in rationale for portfolio projects, advancement of RNA-centric projects toward clinical development, publication of high impact manuscripts, presentations at leading conferences and enhancing Pfizer’s scientific contributions to the research community.
- Lead, motivate and inspire a team of creative and innovative scientists to conduct rigorous, cutting edge science.
- Identify and advance new RNA drug development projects through a blend of internal science and external alliances with companies, academic institutions and disease area or delivery platform experts (e.g. lipid nanoparticle, viral, other).
- Coordinate RNA-focused activities across CTI, Pfizer Ventures, Research Units and Medicinal Sciences to execute on a strategic vision that leverages a range of Pfizer funding and partnering vehicles for the advancement of RNA medicines.
- Collaborate closely with and in some cases lead multidisciplinary teams of scientific leaders across Pfizer Worldwide Research, Development and Medicine to revolutionize the derivation of proprietary insights for RNA medicines.
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors, exemplify scientific curiosity and challenge colleagues to explore new scientific frontiers.
- Drive and catalyze high performance team effectiveness to ensure impact for the RNA medicines portfolio and scientific knowledge gains.
- Identify and grow external scientific partnerships and networks to establish Pfizer’s leadership position in prioritized areas of emerging science as well as therapeutic areas such as Rare Diseases, Oncology, Immunology & Inflammation and Internal Medicine.
- Play a leading role in enhancing the external scientific reputation of Pfizer’s R&D capabilities through high profile publications and presentations at leading conferences.
The position will be based at Pfizer’s CTI research site in the Alexandria Center for Life Sciences, New York and in close proximity to our team of mRNA vaccine experts located at Pfizer’s global Vaccine R&D headquarters in Pearl River, NY.
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- PhD, MD, or MD/PhD in RNA therapeutics, Synthetic Biology, Rare Diseases, Oncology or other relevant area of science.
- Minimum 10 years of top tier independent research experience with demonstrable portfolio impact. Expertise in the development of RNA therapeutics, use of lipid nanoparticles or other delivery platforms, and deep knowledge around emerging and pioneering approaches to RNA medicines.
- A strong track record of scientific achievements as demonstrated by high impact publications and presentations in the relevant fields.
- Extensive expertise in identifying, establishing and leading collaborations and multi-stakeholder alliances.
- Expert working knowledge of the key Research and Development disciplines and scientific lines responsible for pharmaceutical drug discovery and development
- Experience of leading matrixed teams of internal/CRO staff scientist to deliver project objectives
Other Job Details:
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.Research and Development
Pfizer careers are like no other. In our culture of individual ownership, we believe in our ability to improve future healthcare, and potential to transform millions of lives. We’re looking for new talent to join our global community, to unearth new innovative therapies that make the world a healthier place.