Lead the knowledge and skill development of employees pursuing a Class A CDL or to meet minimum company requirements for driving experience. Observe, evaluate, and record progress according to company and DOL Apprenticeship standards. Certify CDL Safety Trainers for field support of driver training.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Train and develop new employees participating in the Driver Training Program to safely operate company equipment and handle customer freight in compliance with all Federal and State laws as well as company policies.
- Monitor and document employee progress; primary focus on driving and backing skills, vehicle inspection reports, hazardous material handling, in cab safety technology, trailer connect/disconnect, collision and injury prevention. Identify knowledge and skill gaps; provide additional assistance, as necessary.
- Train and develop new CDL Safety Trainers to support the Driver Training Program and overall Safety strategies. Monitor and document progress for employee certification.
- Conduct field safety training as required to support terminal Safety Improvement Plans.
- Participate in recruitment activities as required to maintain flow of candidates and achieve graduate goals. Assist with the coordination of third party resources as needed to meet talent needs.
- Coordinate vehicle and training center maintenance issues that arise.
- Ensure compliance to company policies and procedures with EEOC, Federal and State laws.
- Establish trust and credibility by maintaining a high level of integrity and communications with terminal hiring teams to support operational performance. Align goals with Safety, Operations, Human Resources, Labor.
- Adaptability - Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment (e.g., people, processes, structure, or culture); adjusting effectively to change by exploring the benefits, trying new approaches, and collaborating with others to make the change successful.
- Building Trusting Relationships - Using appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interacting with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Collaborating - Working cooperatively with others to help a team or work group achieve its goals.
- Communication - Conveying information and ideas clearly and concisely to individuals or groups in an engaging manner that help them understand and retain the message, listening actively to others.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
- Initiating Action - Taking prompt action to accomplish work goals; taking action to achieve results beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Work Standards - Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Valid Class A CDL with XT endorsements.
- Pass DOT drug test and physical.
- Minimum seven (7) years professional driving experience with at least one year instructing drivers.
- Comprehensive knowledgeable of DOT and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR) compliance requirements.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to coach and train others.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
Environmental working conditions vary and employee may encounter vibration, noise, odors, and extremes in temperature and wind as well as exposure to varied weather, varied surfaces, varied lighting and confined and congested areas and occasional exposure to petroleum-based products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, oil, and grease.
The position requires the ability to spend long hours sitting or standing while using office equipment and computers. Ability to perform repetitive tasks, such as typing and keying. Occasional lifting, pushing/pulling, carrying 10 lbs. of supplies and materials is required.
YRC Worldwide, along with all subsidiary companies, are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer