- Director of Business Development-Commercial Health
Director of Business Development-Commercial Health
Battelle delivers when others can’t. We conduct research and development, manage laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients—whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
The Battelle Memorial Institute serves its philanthropic education mission through profits generated within its contract research organization. The Institute’s focus is on the development of science and technology that advances the state of industry while serving humanity. Over decades of constant innovation, Battelle has developed and contributed to industry on many levels and traditionally does so by licensing its IP to market leaders who transform industries. The current portfolio of technology with Battelle includes innovations in materials, physics, genomics, medicine, and many other exciting fields. The ongoing pipeline of research continues to deepen the pool of IP in these and other areas. The Director of Business Development-Commercial will operate as a member of the Commercial Sales and Business Development team and will work closely with that team, the leaders of Battelle’s Contract Research Business Units and Executive Management to monetize this portfolio of IP for commercial purposes. The role involves the prioritization of opportunities, the development of the right partnership model for different technologies and markets, and the execution of those partnership strategies through the contracting process and into market launch. This position reports to the Vice President, Commercial Business and is key to helping Battelle grow its footprint in the commercial marketplace.
- Obtain a clear and deep understanding of Battelle’s businesses and strategies
- Constantly evaluate Battelle’s IP portfolio, assess market needs and fits, and prioritize
- Develop and present market analysis to support recommendations regarding entering new markets or expanding offerings in existing markets. Assist Business Unit Management in developing plans to build capabilities and to enter new or adjacent markets
- Build and maintain relationships with high level executives at leading companies in industries where Battelle is an active participant or target industries where we aspire to participate
- Market Battelle’s intellectual property, identify and close licensing opportunities. Lead licensing discussions initiated by the Business Units. Build and develop strong relationships with key Business Unit partners.
- Propose and evaluate alternative business and partnership models to maximize the return to the institute from its IP portfolio.
- Lead and negotiate arrangements with commercial clients to include licensing agreements, channel partnerships, joint ventures and other models to monetize IP developed within Battelle’s contract research organization
- Participate in special projects as required
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- Requires a Master’s degree in Business Administration with a Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Life Sciences. A minimum of 10 years related experience to include experience in management consulting, sales, strategic marketing or product marketing.
- Experience developing business plans for new offerings and markets
- Experience negotiating contracts or licensing agreements. Specific experience with licensing is strongly preferred
- Experience in one or more of the following markets: Pharmaceutical discovery and development, genomics, medical therapeutics, medical devices, health systems
- Demonstrated ability developing channel partner relationships and agreements
- Direct experience working closely with top management
- Ability to set and communicate priorities to multiple stakeholders
- Strong presentation, facilitation, and communication skills
- Proven ability to develop and run financial models and forecasts
- Proficiency in Microsoft Dynamic CRM desirable
- Ability to quickly learn and comprehend a variety of new topics and concepts
- Ability to work well as part of a team or virtual team
- Must US Citizen
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.